Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2015 9:17:38 PM EDT
I've seen pix of the use of burlap wrapped bolt rifles in WWI & II, plus Korea. Obligatory pix of CCCP usage:

But it never was used that much. When I was in from 1978-1984, it was never mentioned. I get the point that it could bind up the charging handle on the AR15 pattern weapons. Assume for this discussion that a relatively cheap side charging upper is available for the AR15 pattern rifle so the buttstock could be wrapped. It would appear that it could provide some camouflage due to it concealing the definitive lines of a weapon plus would be a textured nonstandard surface from what is normally expected from hard black plastic & parkerized steel.

Does anyone have any input either positive/negative on its use with modern rifles? BTDT stories, pix and linkage would be appreciated.

* When I was googling this, I ran across a lot of references to this being a "Day Z" mod. I never heard of "Day Z" before I started looking into this.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#1]

My good friend carried this in Afghanistan. I helped cut up sandbags and he wrapped and tied. He was our DM and was a Pig from another unit. It was effective at breaking up the outline and making it stand out less than a long black rifle.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]

And one more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Our DMs used pieces of their ghillies...which is essentially the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks better than some of the camo paint jobs I see on this forum, a lot easier to take off as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have any pix of what they did?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks better than some of the camo paint jobs I see on this forum, a lot easier to take off as well.
View Quote
good point
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It is rather scratchy and dusty. You would be better served with something like camo tape, I believe McNett is the brand name? Even comes in multicam if that's your preferred camo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I use McNett for my hunting rigs...inexpensive and you can reuse them.

I've also done sponge camo, which I like a lot.

I'm just not a fan of anything black...if you think black is so awesome look at a black firearm with NV.

There are companies that offer a ghillie for rifles...that's what I'll be getting with my ghillie...no sense in being camo'd up and leaving my rifle exposed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought some medical gauze in a roll. I unraveled it and did light coats of olive, sand, brown spray paint. I then wrapped it and sewed the ends where needed. Lightweight and easy to take off. It breaks up the outline pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:09:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No pix, but it ended up looking pretty much like the pix Gunslinger posted.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw burlap rolls at Hobby Lobby in varying widths and thought of doing something like this to my AK, but was worried about jamming something up. Or the gas tube catching the burlap on fire
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a roll of reusable Multicam gun tape/wrap off Amazon for a few bucks. Works well, and you don't have to deal with burlap. As evidenced in the above pictures, painting the gun beneath the camo wrap will greatly enhance its effectiveness.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is rather scratchy and dusty. You would be better served with something like camo tape, I believe McNett is the brand name? Even comes in multicam if that's your preferred camo.
View Quote

Midway USA has it
Personal preference is for the Kryptek Highlander.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I use McNett tape on the barrel of my stainless bolt rifle when hunting.
The light color of stainless really stand out early in the morning before the sun comes up or in the evening after sun sets...which are the best hunting times of the day.
Black is not that bad but it does standout when the sun is up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Be careful with any of that tape...

Most kinds leave residue that you may have to acetone to remove.

It will also trap moisture next to the steel if it's on a steel (especially blued steel) surface. Here in LA it has contributed to many a rusty weapon.

Personally, I think camo paint and a couple burlap/fabric "fuzzies" to break-up the profile are best, so long as the materiel doesn't snag your gear, vegetation, nor interfere with handling in any way.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Be careful with any of that tape...

Most kinds leave residue that you may have to acetone to remove.
It will also trap moisture next to the steel if it's on a steel (especially blued steel) surface. Here in LA it has contributed to many a rusty weapon.

Personally, I think camo paint and a couple burlap/fabric "fuzzies" to break-up the profile are best, so long as the materiel doesn't snag your gear, vegetation, nor interfere with handling in any way.
View Quote

The tape pictured above is non-adhesive, but the caution against leaving it on for extended periods lest it trap moisture is a valid concern.  I'm with you: I prefer a quick paint job to any tape wrap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:44:45 AM EDT
[#17]
The tape doesn't leave residue but visually it doesn't work anywhere near as well as a burlap wrap as it still has the very distinctive shape of a gun covered in tape. Lemme look around I still have my burlap strip I used. I'll post some pix.

The idea with burlap is that you wrap it in a way so that it overlaps a little and uses the frayed edges to break up the very clean horizontally linear shape of the gun barrel. I just used bout a 3" wide strip about 3 ' long that was left over scrap from building a ghillie suit. Just make sure you don't wrap the muzzle or you can catch it on fire, and don't wrap the functioning parts like the ejection port, or the moving portion of the oprod/charging handle on an M14.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Cut up a cheap leafy suit from Wal-Mart or cut up one of those large leafy pre-cut camo blind making materials. Use small black zip-ties.

Lighter than burlap and will air dry quicker if wet...
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cut up a cheap leafy suit from Wal-Mart or cut up one of those large leafy pre-cut camo blind making materials. Use small black zip-ties.

Lighter than burlap and will air dry quicker if wet...
View Quote

I was just about to suggest this. Wet material in prolonged contact with firearms' finishes are not a recipe for success.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top