Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:03 PM EDT
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

For about two years or so I've been hearing about the 87,000 M1 Garands (and 700,000 M1 Carbines) that have been sitting in limbo in South Korea. I heard that the USG had been denying their import because they felt they would fall into 'criminal hands' which is so laughably false it's sad, however, I heard a few days ago from this article (http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/u-s-to-import-87310-m1-garand-rifles-from-korea.html) that the Garands were finally going to return home, the M1 Carbines with their terrifying 'high-capacity' magazines are still not granted import privileges but hey, I'll settle for the Garands

The only thing is that I haven't been able to find any other information indicating that the M1 rifles had been green-lighted for re-import into the USA. If this article is correct and the market is about to be flooded with new M1 rifles, I may actually be able to afford a decent quality one which has been a lifelong dream of mine. The article from War History has been the only reference to re-importation that I can find so I'm hesitant to get my hopes up for cheap Garands.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Will,

Several other threads out there that say these are not coming in.  I'm with you, though, rooting for them to come in.

I was one of the fortunate that bought bunches of Garands and Carbines at Woolworths and other places like that back in the early eighties.  I think the lowest I paid was $199 for a Garand and $169 for a Carbine when they'd go on sale now and then.

Ray
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Won't happen as long as 0bama or any Democrat occupies the White House.

http://www.guns.com/2014/06/09/century-arms-lays-off-41-blames-obamas-denial-of-m1-imports-from-south-korea/
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My bad guys, the article from the Korean Times which is linked in the War History article is from 2012, so it predates the restrictions the USG placed on them a while ago. I wish they would step back into the realm of reality where M1 Garands are prized by collectors, enthusiasts and veterans instead of thugs and robbers.

Hopefully we can elect some more reasonable representatives and finally see these rifles and carbines returned home.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Will, you can still get a FG from the CMP for $630.  There is nothing wrong with these Garands and they make good shooters.  Many of them are well within SG specs and are in pretty decent shape.  Even if the Korean Garands did get in at some point, they are supposedly in absolutely awful condition.  I have also read that the retail price would likely be closer to $500 than $200.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will, you can still get a FG from the CMP for $630.  There is nothing wrong with these Garands and they make good shooters.  Many of them are well within SG specs and are in pretty decent shape.  Even if the Korean Garands did get in at some point, they are supposedly in absolutely awful condition.  I have also read that the retail price would likely be closer to $500 than $200.
View Quote

Agree completely
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, that's not true.  There was quite a range in condition of the M1 Garands; some were absolutely mint, some were beaters.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope?  I haven't inspected them, just read about their condition.  Have you personally seen them?  If so, I am very interested in hearing specifics.  I do find it hard to believe that there are many (if any) "mint" Korean Garands.  Regardless, we aren't going to see them any time soon and will not be $200 retail if we ever do.  The CMP is the best bet for anyone buying a Garand at this time and it goes to a good cause.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I worked at an importer and we got a chance to bid on these M1's. We were sent pics of a sample of a few opened shipping drums. They are stored butt to muzzle, 10 rifles to a drum.
They vary in condition from fair to very good.
There was also a huge lot of never opened spare parts in the original arsenal wrapping.

Century beat our bid by $12 per rifle. State Dept canceled any import permits.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I worked at an importer and we got a chance to bid on these M1's. We were sent pics of a sample of a few opened shipping drums. They are stored butt to muzzle, 10 rifles to a drum.
There was also a huge lot of never opened spare parts in the original arsenal wrapping.

View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the information.  I had read some threads a while back that they were really rough overall.  My guess was that they would look worse than the earlier imported Korean Garands, which are not usually as nice as a good FG IMO.  I was guessing Rack Grade to low Field Grade.  Will these be any better than the average Blue Sky Garand, because weren't those mostly from Korea?  A lot of those had very worn barrels, though there were exceptions.  Any clue on what we would be looking at retail if they did make it in down the road?  The spare parts would be VERY nice to get in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#10]
No telling what retail price would be in this market now.
Whoever got the spare parts would be sitting on their own money printing machine though. The op rods and bolts alone could be marked up 400% and buyers wouldn't bat an eye.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
2017 if we're lucky.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought I read somewhere that these are now being broken down into parts kits for import. Anyone know more?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The big issue is one of ownership.

Foreign militaries get rifles in two ways, 1) FMS - foreign military sales, and 2) Military Assistance Program.

The Koreans got M1s through both programs.   FMS guns they can sell because they own them,  MAP guns are technically still owned by the US government, thus the Koreans can't legally sell them.

Folks I trust assure me that in general they are beat to hell.  Lots and lots of good parts of course, but as actual combat rifles they are supposed to be in pretty poor shape.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
What happened to the samples that were imported?

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]
They weren't imported. Opened in the 3 warehouses in S. Korea, laid out, and pics taken. The storage drums were pretty cool. Held 10 M1's,  butt stock to muzzle. Lead sealed ends.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope, that's not true.  There was quite a range in condition of the M1 Garands; some were absolutely mint, some were beaters.
View Quote

From what I have heard from folks I trust completely, the Korean Garands are in absolute terrible shape.  On the other hand, even if in terrible shape there will be very many salvageable parts, and it's hard to believe that most of the receivers could not be saved.

Also, there were rumors of US supplied maintenance and parts kits.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I got one of the Korean Garands when they came in in the '80s. The wood was split, the barrel badly worn out, but with a new barrel and wood with a little tweaking and it made a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My understanding is that the CMP could still bring the guns in but will not because they want to be out of the Garand business
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My understanding is that the CMP could still bring the guns in but will not because they want to be out of the Garand business
View Quote

Umm.... What business would they have left?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, the CMP organizes huge amounts of competitive rifle shooting matches. Garands are just a way to help fund their primary mission.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Blue Sky import off my neighbor about 8 years ago. It was completely re-parked with
brand new stock (the upper and front hand guards are original).  The throat erosion is in spec
but the bore is not. It's not NM bu it still shoots well enough. I did send the oprod to Columbus
Machine to be built back to spec, it kept jumping out of the receiver groove.  Runs great now.
Considering the price, it's a great rifle.  I gave my neighbor $300 for both the Garand and an
Enfield  No. 4, Mk I/II.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember seeing M-1 carbines at Roses dept stores for about 159 bucks. I was short on cash, but a guy I knew bought 4 of them

Quoted:
Will,

Several other threads out there that say these are not coming in.  I'm with you, though, rooting for them to come in.

I was one of the fortunate that bought bunches of Garands and Carbines at Woolworths and other places like that back in the early eighties.  I think the lowest I paid was $199 for a Garand and $169 for a Carbine when they'd go on sale now and then.

Ray
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Those Garands belong to the ROK government, not us.  All the Greeks, Danish, etc were Lend/Lease rifles and thus still belonged to us.

CMP could not legally import them or have anything to do with them at all.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:06:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those Garands belong to the ROK government, not us.  .
View Quote

Actually,  some of the rifles do belong to the US goverment (loaned) .  Some were purchased.  The purchased ones belong to the Koreans.  The Koreans want to sell us all of them, even the ones they don't technically own, that's the actual legal issue.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#25]
The Korean garands and carbines will come in if an actual conservative gets elected next president. It will probably be just like the 1980's flood by Blue Sky, remember those days?. Condition will be from trash to VG.
I would expect to see prices between $200-500.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Actually,  some of the rifles do belong to the US goverment (loaned) .  Some were purchased.  The purchased ones belong to the Koreans.  The Koreans want to sell us all of them, even the ones they don't technically own, that's the actual legal issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those Garands belong to the ROK government, not us.  .

Where did you get that little tidbit?  This has been beat to death here and at cmp.org and this is this is the first time anyone claimed that some belong to us.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#27]
SO do I buy a grand now or wait for, if, the korean ones come in
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they ever come in, it won't be any time soon.  They will likely not be cheap.  They are supposed to be of questionable quality.  Finally, we know that the CMP has a finite number of rifles left and they won't last much longer based on the numbers that they have released.  If you want one, go ahead and get it through the CMP while you can.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If they ever come in, it won't be any time soon.  They will likely not be cheap.  They are supposed to be of questionable quality.  Finally, we know that the CMP has a finite number of rifles left and they won't last much longer based on the numbers that they have released.  If you want one, go ahead and get it through the CMP while you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright CMP grand for me it is then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top