Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2015 11:58:43 PM EDT
Bought a new Mossberg 500 Magpul edition. Pretty stoked but a couple issues I'm looking for help on. Keep in mind this is my first new shotgun. All the shotguns my dad owned that I grew up shooting were more than broken in.

#1. Shells seem to get stuck in the chamber quite a bit and require some muscle to get loose. This includes both slugs and buckshot. All ammo shot so far has been Winchester. (only thing available)

#2. The the gun does not want to feed properly unless you shuck it pretty hard. If I slow shuck it will not feed and then requires SEVERAL VERY VIGOROUS SHUCKS before it wants to feed again.

#3. It does not want to release rounds from the magazine tube unless it straight up and down. So tilting it seems to also produce feeding problems.

Can't remember ever having these issues with any of my dad's 870's or Stevens pump actions.

In need of break in? Ammo problem? Other issue?  And I am sure that the rounds are properly seated in the tube.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing I'd do would be to field strip it, clean it, scrubb the chamber, lub, and reassemble.  Then shoot 2 to 4 boxes on different ammo.  Don't rack slow, rack with authority.  If the problem continues, contact Mossberg.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man. I will strip it this weekend.

I usually rack it like I'm trying to break it, but screwing around I noticed it didn't feed with a gentle rack, and my dads old guns would feed rounds regardless so I thought I would ask.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Might not hurt to sit on the couch one evening while watching TV (alone or the wifey will think you nutz) and work the action 3-400 times.  

Doc

Oh yeah, edit to add, I have not had the best luck with the bulk Winchester shot shells.  Cheap is a good word for them, in every way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bought a new Mossberg 500 Magpul edition. Pretty stoked but a couple issues I'm looking for help on. Keep in mind this is my first new shotgun. All the shotguns my dad owned that I grew up shooting were more than broken in.

#1. Shells seem to get stuck in the chamber quite a bit and require some muscle to get loose. This includes both slugs and buckshot. All ammo shot so far has been Winchester. (only thing available)

#2. The the gun does not want to feed properly unless you shuck it pretty hard. If I slow shuck it will not feed and then requires SEVERAL VERY VIGOROUS SHUCKS before it wants to feed again.

#3. It does not want to release rounds from the magazine tube unless it straight up and down. So tilting it seems to also produce feeding problems.

Can't remember ever having these issues with any of my dad's 870's or Stevens pump actions.

In need of break in? Ammo problem? Other issue?  And I am sure that the rounds are properly seated in the tube.

Thanks for the help in advance.
View Quote

My brand new one did this and I sent it back to Mossberg. They didn't bother to tell me what the problem was, but I think it was a fairly wide-spread issue. They took care of me no-questions asked, and they paid the shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Shells getting stuck in the chamber is likely not the shells or the chamber, but the action being stiff and new. Definitely try to break it in with a few hundred rounds first, or as mentioned, just clean and work the action in front of the TV.

What you are describing is pretty common new gun behavior.

Don't bother Mossberg until you've throughly broken it in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if this is the problem or not, but I HAVE had trouble with the cheep bulk pack Winchester that Wal-mart carries. (100 round pack)

The shells have a smaller then normal metal "base" and were hard-cycling in my Winchester pump-action and jammed up my coach gun. I had to work on it for a while to get the action open. Fired two more with the same results. I shot the rest through the pump-action and vowed to never buy them again.

I've never had that problem with Federal bulk packs, Remington shells of any sort, PMC slugs, Federal slugs and buckshot, Royal buck, and other "cheap" shells, just the Winchester. It just might be my guns, but it might be worth trying other ammo.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh yeah, edit to add, I have not had the best luck with the bulk Winchester shot shells.  Cheap is a good word for them, in every way.
View Quote

I've had the cheap Winchester stuff fail to feed...  in my Over/Under.  Not kidding, it's that bad.

Agree with the above folks who say to disassemble and clean.  Almost sounds like the barrel isn't seated all the way, not feeding from the magazine unless upright could be caused by the spring binding on the plug I suppose.

Regardless, first thing to do is disassemble, clean, and lubricate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.

It seems to be working a little better now. Gonna get some better shells and try it again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Those shells stick in my 870, then when I mortar it loose the rim tears and I need a cleaning rod to clear it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top