Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2015 6:06:25 PM EDT
Folks ... I'm wrecking my brain on this one.  I cannot decide between the Colt LE901-16SE, or the Springfield Scout Squad, or Loaded M1A.  I also considered the DPMS Classic .308 but they are now hard to find.  For now, I've narrowed it down to one of the Colts or one of the Springfields.

I know nothing about AR10(s), or the Springfields.  I've heard pro(s) and con(s) about both.  Now seems as good a time to buy as any within the past several years.

I need a .308 that is both reliable, and reliably accurate out to 300 yards(+), will take just about any factory loads I can feed it, run as broad a range of bullet weights as possible, and will be used mostly in the Gulf Coast and Central Texas environment year-round.

I don't know if a 16" barrel will be sufficient, or should I say an 18" barrel being a minimum, or is a longer 22" barrel required ... (???)

I shoot as often as possible and with rifles mostly outdoors, averaging once a month and I budget well for ammo accordingly.

All of them are climbing towards expensive but I don't mind spending the money as long as I get the most for it.  My philosophy is when you are spedning this amount of money what matters most is you get what you want.

I will appreciate any and all advise, criticisms, etc.

Thank you all in advance.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
M1A
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
SR25
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
So if I was to try for a middle-of-the-road weapon, what is the minimum barrel length, and the maximum length I would need?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#4]
AR 308 are easy to scope and make accurate.
Check the variants forum.
16" barrel is fine for 300 yards.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#5]

I wouldn't buy a M1A or M14.... ever
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I traded into a Scout Squad and love it.  Accurate, reliable, easy to shoot.  Fills all of my needs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Between the two, I'd get the Colt. M1A- and M14-type rifles are prohibitively expensive off the bat, and that's not counting whatever you'd put into them to get the accuracy you'd expect from such a rifle. They're also heavier and harder to customize, requiring an actual gunsmith to modify, not your average hobbyist or armorer.

An AR10-type platform is just easier to get along with, and that's saying something.

Personally, I'd recommend you look into an Armalite instead of Colt, as they've been building AR10's a lot longer. I do believe their AR10A LE Carbine would suit your needs.(A-frame front sight, 2-stage trigger, mid-length handguards, chrome-lined 16 inch LW-profile barrel, takes Pmags/SR25 mags, etc) They run about $1200 from Euro Optic. If you intend to run magnified optics only, their DEF 10 will save you a few simoleons, since it's identical to the LE Carbine except for the railed gas block and standard trigger.

And a 16 inch barrel will do just fine from 0-400 yards, easily. If you can do it, the rifle sure as hell can.

Alternatively, the AR10T has a NM trigger and 20-inch match grade barrel. Not threaded, but definitely something that will reach out beyond 500 yards. More expensive, but still less than a Loaded M1A.

Best of luck to you, mate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Scar 17s.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The Colt 901 series is NOT an AR10. How come no one is talking about the elephant in the room. The 901 is a modular AR carbine, not an AR10. I know this is not in your plans now, but for the price of an AR15 upper you could have 2 rifles in one. I like versatility and between these two the Colt 901-SE wins this race hands down. I like the M1A platform, but as others have said, it is difficult to upgrade or modify. On the other hand the Colt 901 can be upgraded/modified easily and with the mag well adapter can be changed to a 5.56 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Get both!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Definitely M1A between those two, especially since it will only cost a little more than half as much. If you will only be shooting out to 300m, then go with the 18" barrel Scout model. I would ditch the factory stock, sell/replace it with a USGI fiberglass stock, add a Sadlak piston and sprig guide, and you'll be set to go for only about $80 extra if you play your cards right.

Keep the fiberglass stock on there when you're shooting it, and then buy a pretty wood stock to take pictures with like mine.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Between the two, I'd get the Colt. M1A- and M14-type rifles are prohibitively expensive off the bat, and that's not counting whatever you'd put into them to get the accuracy you'd expect from such a rifle. They're also heavier and harder to customize, requiring an actual gunsmith to modify, not your average hobbyist or armorer.
View Quote

You don't know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#13]
There's a video of nutnfancy ringing steel at 770 yds with a couple other guys using an m&p 10 (which can be found on sale for $999 a lot of places). Not too heavy and much easier to tinker with, and plenty of cash left on the table for the obligatory arfcom "magazines and ammo"
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an M1A Scout Squad and love it! The 18 inch barrel length for a .308 is just right for me. The regular M1A is more cumbersome with the 22 inch barrel. Plus, the Scout Squad has a small picittany rail which can by used to mount a small size optic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Definitely M1A between those two, especially since it will only cost a little more than half as much. If you will only be shooting out to 300m, then go with the 18" barrel Scout model. I would ditch the factory stock, sell/replace it with a USGI fiberglass stock, add a Sadlak piston and sprig guide, and you'll be set to go for only about $80 extra if you play your cards right.

Keep the fiberglass stock on there when you're shooting it, and then buy a pretty wood stock to take pictures with like mine.

<a href="http://imgur.com/SHN62rp" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/SHN62rp.jpg</a>
View Quote

This, times 100! Then save up for the Colt later.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

<a href="http://imgur.com/SHN62rp" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/SHN62rp.jpg</a>
View Quote

+1.  My M1A would be the last shootin' iron I'd part with.  What benefit does Sadlak's kit offer over Springfield's OEM stuff?  Smoother feed, recoil, ???
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]
+2 on the M1A1 Scout.  Shot them, love them.  Better ergonomics than the ar10 platform as far as weight distribution........just my subjective opinion.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like the Springfields are winning out, namely the Scout Squad model (so far).

I appreciate the information and assistance.

My next question; are there benefits of wood over composite stock(s), vice-versa?

I appreciate the suggestion on the SR25 ... SWEET ... but too pricey as is the FN line.

I will be researching the Armalites further.  I blew them off years ago because of their magazines.  Now that they take PMAGS I'm going to look at them again.

Good points regarding the AR platform with this caliber.

Again ... any further comments will be appreciated.  Thanks Again !!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#20]
M1a. You probably already own an AR platform. Time to change it up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I think one good question to ask yourself is.. what can an M rifle do better than an AR10 rifle of comparable cost?

I made the choice to get back into .308 but i went a different route, I knew i wanted a very accurate effective shooter out to 500 yards, I didnt want a beastly heavy rifle and I didnt  want to spend over 2k. Ammo cost also being a concern , I just went with a bolt action 20" rilfe. Cant beat the accuracy and since I wasn't looking to send multiple rounds down range in a matter of seconds.. semi was not a must.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]
M1A. Socom 16 is my favorite.

Eta: picture

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy them all, it is the only way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think one good question to ask yourself is.. what can an M rifle do better than an AR10 rifle of comparable cost?

I made the choice to get back into .308 but i went a different route, I knew i wanted a very accurate effective shooter out to 500 yards, I didnt want a beastly heavy rifle and I didnt  want to spend over 2k. Ammo cost also being a concern , I just went with a bolt action 20" rilfe. Cant beat the accuracy and since I wasn't looking to send multiple rounds down range in a matter of seconds.. semi was not a must.
View Quote

I'm with half of what he says.  My answer to your question would be the scout squad.  But I would also say that if it's hunting you want to do, a good bolt gun is plenty of gun for that job and probably the better choice.  As it will be easier to lug around.  And scope.  

However, an M1A is a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I look at it like this.

If you're planning to shoot irons, the M14 is great. If optics are a consideration, go with an AR pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I look at it like this.

If you're planning to shoot irons, the M14 is great. If optics are a consideration, go with an AR pattern rifle.
View Quote

I like this advice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Springfield makes the M1A, but there are a few manufacturers offering M14 pattern
rifles that are even closer to USGI spec. Iron sights with a standard stock, optics with
factory irons, or BUIS with a modern stock. Barrel choices: 16.25", 18.0", 22.0", and others.

A 16.25" barrel will do everything you want out to around 500 yards.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I look at it like this.

View Quote
this is correct

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#29]
It's fairly easy to set-up an M14 for optics these days...
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I look at it like this.

View Quote

Good point here.  I have 54 year-old eyes.  Optics are becoming a must.  I'll have to think about this some more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
This

Eta: pic

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This  

<a href="http://s706.photobucket.com/user/suthrnstyl2003/media/image.jpg1_3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww67/suthrnstyl2003/image.jpg1_3.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This  

<a href="http://s706.photobucket.com/user/suthrnstyl2003/media/image.jpg1_3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww67/suthrnstyl2003/image.jpg1_3.jpg</a>

That does not look very comfortable.

AR is still much easier/cheaper to mount an optic to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This  

It's actually quite comfortable. And yes an ar is cheaper, but shooting the M1a is more satisfying to me. I love my ar's, but the M1a is fun to shoot as well.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#34]
M1A's seem like money pits to modernize or try to make modular. Thanks to a recent sand/dirt test online, I wonder how reliable they are in the field.

My buddy dropped some big money on Troy stuff for his M1A not too long ago and was having issues with stuff shifting.

AR would be my choice, and either a Colt, SR25, or LMT. If 'buying once.'
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I have both, and so should you
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks to a recent sand/dirt test online, I wonder how reliable they are in the field.
View Quote

http://www.gunsandammo.com/video/springfield-armory-ma/
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks to a recent sand/dirt test online, I wonder how reliable they are in the field.

Yeah, but that's nothing compared to what the average internet commando puts their rifles through on a their annual range trip.
Anyway, I prefer my M1As more or less as they were designed. If I was looking for a platform to shoot optics primarily, it wouldn't be the M1A. The irons are excellent and I enjoy using them.
My Scout:
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
M1A
View Quote

Loaded.

But...........it is always better to get both.  

Take a look at Fulton Armory too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Hello Txlongrifle.    C u are new to the forum.  Welcome.
Where bouts u located here in our great state.   If u r close enough come on over and we can sit and have some coffee and discuss.
I am located near Brownwood.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, but that's nothing compared to what the average internet commando puts their rifles through on a their annual range trip.
Anyway, I prefer my M1As more or less as they were designed. If I was looking for a platform to shoot optics primarily, it wouldn't be the M1A. The irons are excellent and I enjoy using them.
My Scout: http://i.imgur.com/ukBFunVl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Scout: http://i.imgur.com/ukBFunVl.jpg

I do love your scout.  So good.  I think I like the bush better as it had just a normal FH.  But only for looks sake.  I'm not sure which one would be better when firing an 18.5"er.  I'll be honest, I was wondering if a FH is really even necessary on a 18.5-22"  .308.  I never though the garand had a bad flash signature.  Although that's another 2".   But bolt guns don't seem to shoot out huge fireballs or anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#41]
The brake does make recoil pretty mild. It's about on par with an SKS in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hello Txlongrifle.    C u are new to the forum.  Welcome.
Where bouts u located here in our great state.   If u r close enough come on over and we can sit and have some coffee and discuss.
I am located near Brownwood.
View Quote

Thank you for the invite, as I am definitely a coffee lover.  Just brought some pure grind back from Vietnam.

I live in Pasadena (southeast of Houston).  Any bluebonnets out your way?  I'm sure that would convince the home boss to do a road trip out there soon.

Yes, I do need to sit down and discuss all this with somebody that knows more about it than I do.

I'll send you a PM.  Thanks Again !!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This  

I've kept everybody's advice provided to date on both platforms.  I'm most likely going to need an optic unless I get my older eyes corrected and so far 2 doctors said it would be hard to do since I have a stigma.

Today I started looking in to building my own AR10 as I have not probed that option yet.

Any recommendations on this idea?

So far, I'm confused on what type of A2 gas block I'll be able to use.  Armalite seems to make one specific for the AR10.  Everybody else just sells the "F" sight, or some other non-"F" sight ... (???).  Why would a special size A2 gas block sight be needed for the AR10?

Obviously building an AR10 will be a little different than building an AR15, which I have successfully accomplished thanks to this specific website.  

As usual ... all advice and input will be appreciated.  THANKS !!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've kept everybody's advice provided to date on both platforms.  I'm most likely going to need an optic unless I get my older eyes corrected and so far 2 doctors said it would be hard to do since I have a stigma.

Today I started looking in to building my own AR10 as I have not probed that option yet.

So far, I'm confused on what type of A2 gas block I'll be able to use.  Armalite seems to make one specific for the AR10.  Everybody else just sells the "F" sight, or some other non-"F" sight ... (???).  Why would a special size A2 gas block sight be needed for the AR10?

Obviously building an AR10 will be a little different than building an AR15, which I have successfully accomplished thanks to this specific website.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This  

You can get yourself down a rabbit hole pretty quick on a 308 AR build. There's not much standardization in that market. Upper receiver heights vary, that could be the reason for the different FSB heights, though I though Armalites solution was to alter the rear not the front. There's such a wide variety of factory .308's out there today, I'd say go that route for your first one - you'll know everything is compatible and have factory support if something is flaky.

More info: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/658810_History_of_the_AR10__from_1955_to_Present__showing_Variation_in_the_Market.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top