Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/13/2015 2:47:47 AM EDT
With Tavors hitting a street price of around $1600, I'm thinking the Galil Ace will settle to between $1400-$1500.

At that price point, what are your thoughts on it? I didn't know a thing about them until a few months ago. Seems like they took the AK's design and proven reliability then added in western ergonomics. Never hear about them in my area so I'm wondering how interested you guys are in it. Is it a must have? Great gun? Range you? Outdated?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I love the Galil.  But I am not that interested in the ACE line.  Despite the ban here in Ca. regarding the legacy guns, I had some clones built on CNC Warrior receivers, and I like them.  I am sure the ACE will sell, but for me I would be more interested in original guns, in particular if they would domestically make the GALATZ (7.62x51 sniper rifle).  If they insist on "upgrading" them IWI US could get away with an integral rail on the top cover and railed forearms, and maybe an AR stock adapter, and of course AR mag wells.

But, for what it's worth, IWI US should sell the legacy guns.  And just to piss off FN, they should domestically make semi Negevs and sell them for under 4k.

Illustrations borrowed from the interwebs.

Galatz

SAR

ARM's

Negev

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm toying with the idea of picking one up at some point.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#3]
It seems IWI is doing what SIG did when they introduced the 556.

The American market wants the originals.....not some Americanized variation.

I'm sure they're likely good guns......but count me out for now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The Galil Ace is nothing like a SIG 556. The galil ace that we're getting is almost identical to the models that have been adopted and used by many militaries across the world.

The SIG 556 is a bastardized POS that SIG made to pimp out the great reputation of the Swiss 55x.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

What Sig did with the 556 was change the 55x design to make it hit a price point and it showed. They cut too many corners and the end result suffered. The ACE design looks like it's made to fix some of the problems with the old Galil, namely weight and ergonomics.

The IWI Tavor is a well built firearm. If the ACE is made to the same standard it won't be anything like the Sig 556.

AJ
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I will be picking an ACE N up when they are released here in 2016, and possibly be one in 308 later this year. I have no interest in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Galil Ace is nothing like a SIG 556. The galil ace that we're getting is almost identical to the models that have been adopted and used by many militaries across the world.

The SIG 556 is a bastardized POS that SIG made to pimp out the great reputation of the Swiss 55x.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha....just did my due diligence after posting, imagine that?

Anyway, it does look like a well made gun...though I much prefer the look of the previous Galil's....this looks like a 7.62x39 worth owning.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I am in the minority because to me, it looks IWI hit the ball out of the park with the Ace.  Better ergonomics, factory folding stock, much improved iron sites, arguably a better charging handle (I would be fine with the original AK style CH), and it lighter than the original Galils.  I am super excited to get one, but I will not have the funds for a while.  I also dig that they are offered in 7.62x39.  You can still get ammo at semi reasonable prices.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope. I'd rather a SAR or ARM. The ACE does not interest me and is far too expensive for what it is.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#11]
First off Manticore, you make some cool products!  Thank you!

Second, if you have Kassner's ear, an mini Uzi that has been upgraded like the micro would be very cool.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With Tavors hitting a street price of around $1600, I'm thinking the Galil Ace will settle to between $1400-$1500.

At that price point, what are your thoughts on it? I didn't know a thing about them until a few months ago. Seems like they took the AK's design and proven reliability then added in western ergonomics. Never hear about them in my area so I'm wondering how interested you guys are in it. Is it a must have? Great gun? Range you? Outdated?
View Quote

Do you think the price on them will get that low?
Atlantic is listing them at 1899$ I want one but not at that price.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
For someone looking for a robust and unique Kalashnikov actioned platform, I think they are a good "buy once, cry once" choice.

I already have Daewoos and original .308 Galils in my safe. If I want a x39 platform I'll get an AK, because AK.

Personally, I have no use for the intermediate cartridges in this series, but I will take a solid look at their .308 version when it's released.

I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at any of the versions if someone threw one at me and told me to go to work.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I wanted one until I saw the $1800 price. Hell I wouldnt buy one at $1000
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a huge fan of the stock or hand guards but it's the best choice for someone who wants a modern 7.62x39 fighting carbine. The closest thing to the ace on the market right now are custom mod AKs like the Krebs KV-13, and they cost more money and don't offer the same modern ergos.

I only wish it was available in 5.45x39

Personally I don't really see the need for one in 5.56 though, there are better modern options in that caliber, though I wouldn't poo-poo those who wanted one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Galil ACE isn't an Americanized version, it is the current version that IWI sells.  

The version we think of as the "original" version is a 30 year old design that IWI doesn't currently produce.  

That is what Michael Kassnar told me last time we talked....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Galil ACE isn't an Americanized version, it is the current version that IWI sells.  

The version we think of as the "original" version is a 30 year old design that IWI doesn't currently produce.  

Well, we can only hope for original parts and kits coming out of one or more of these countries sometime.

USERS:

Israel: Israel Defense Forces[13] and Knesset Guard.[14]
## Brazil: The Polícia Militar do Estado do Pará (PMPA; Military State Police of Pará) ordered 555 Magal Carbines in 2001.[15][16]
## Bolivia[15]
## Botswana[15]
## Cameroon: Issued to presidential guard units.[17]
## Democratic Republic of Congo[15]
## Colombia: Standard issue rifle. Produced under license by Indumil.[18] Also adopted the Galil ACE rifle by the middle of 2010, produced by Indumil.[19] FARC rebels use captured examples against the Colombian armed forces.[20]
## Costa Rica[15]
## Dominican Republic[citation needed]
## Djibouti[21]
## El Salvador[22]
## Estonia: Uses 5.56mm versions of the Galil AR, SAR, ARM and the 7.62mm Galil Sniper.[23][24][25][26]
## Fiji[27]
## Guatemala: 3,000 ACE[28]
## Georgia: Uses GALATZ sniper and Micro-Galil assault rifles [29]
## Haiti[15]
## Honduras: The Galil SAR was adopted in the late 1970s by the Honduran Army, until it was replaced by the American-made M16A1 through U.S. military aid in the 1980s. The Galil SARs were then transferred to the Honduran National Police, where they are still in use. In 2011, the Honduran government approved the purchase of the Galil ACE 21 assault rifle for use by the Army and Air Force. The Galil ACE made its first public appearance on Sept 15, 2013 in the hands of the new unit PMOP (Military Police of Public Order).[citation needed]
## India[15]
## Indonesia: Komando Pasukan Katak (Kopaska) tactical diver group and Komando Pasukan Khusus (Kopassus) special forces group.[30]
## Italy: The Italian firearms manufacturing firm Vincenzo Bernardelli S.r.l. manufactured under licence quantities of the Galil assault rifle in two different models for governmental use in the 1980s.[31] The Bernardelli Mod.377 VB-STR assault rifle was an outright clone of the Galil AR/ARM variant, while the Bernardelli Mod.378 VB-SR assault carbine was a modified clone of the Galil SAR with a different magazine well that accepted STANAG magazines, much similar in concept and look to the above-mentioned optional magazine adapter currently available for the Israeli-made models, except that the Bernardelli VB-SR could be manufactured with permanent STANAG magazine well modification on demand.[32] The rifles competed to the trial for the adoption of a new 5.56x45mm NATO caliber rifle, but lost to the Beretta 70/90 assault weapons system. However, as of today, both models result by official schedules to be in the inventories of the Italian National Police, and are known to be deployed with the NOCS team.[33]
## Lesotho[15]
## Mexico: Secretaría de Seguridad Pública.[34]
## Mongolia[35][36]
## Myanmar: Tatmadaw, Myanmar Police Force, Combat Police battalions. Produced locally in a modified form as EMERK-3.[citation needed]
## Nepal[15]
## Nicaragua[15]
## Paraguay: Indumil-made Galils for the Fuerzas de Operaciones de Policias Especiales,SENAD (Drug Enforcement)and main Rifle of the Paraguayan Police [37]
## Peru[15]
## Philippines[15][38]
## Portugal: 5.56mm AR and ARM versions used by the Portuguese Army airborne infantry.[39]
## Rwanda[15]
## South Africa: Standard assault rifle of the South African National Defence Force. Produced under license in a modified form as the R4 by Denel Land Systems.[40]
## South Sudan[citation needed]
## Swaziland[15]
## Tanzania: MAR version seen in use by Tanzanian special forces in the Congo.[41]
## Trinidad and Tobago.[15] The Trinidad and Tobago Regiment uses this weapon as its standard issue. Also used in conjunction with the FN FAL and M16. Galil ACE also used but in limited numbers.
## Ukraine: Sniper variant is used by the "Omega" special forces group. (produced under license as the Fort-301)[42]
## Vietnam: Uses Galil AR and Galil Sniper.[43][44]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, we can only hope for original parts and kits coming out of one or more of these countries sometime.

USERS:

## Brazil: The Polícia Militar do Estado do Pará (PMPA; Military State Police of Pará) ordered 555 Magal Carbines in 2001.[15][16]
## Bolivia[15]
## Botswana[15]
## Colombia: Standard issue rifle. Produced under license by Indumil.[18] Also adopted the Galil ACE rifle by the middle of 2010, produced by Indumil.[19] FARC rebels use captured examples against the Colombian armed forces.[20]
## Costa Rica[15]
## Djibouti[21]
## El Salvador[22]
## Estonia: Uses 5.56mm versions of the Galil AR, SAR, ARM and the 7.62mm Galil Sniper.[23][24][25][26]
## Fiji[27]
## Haiti[15]
## Honduras: The Galil SAR was adopted in the late 1970s by the Honduran Army, until it was replaced by the American-made M16A1 through U.S. military aid in the 1980s. The Galil SARs were then transferred to the Honduran National Police, where they are still in use. In 2011, the Honduran government approved the purchase of the Galil ACE 21 assault rifle for use by the Army and Air Force. The Galil ACE made its first public appearance on Sept 15, 2013 in the hands of the new unit PMOP (Military Police of Public Order).[citation needed]
## India[15]
## Indonesia: Komando Pasukan Katak (Kopaska) tactical diver group and Komando Pasukan Khusus (Kopassus) special forces group.[30]
## Italy: The Italian firearms manufacturing firm Vincenzo Bernardelli S.r.l. manufactured under licence quantities of the Galil assault rifle in two different models for governmental use in the 1980s.[31] The Bernardelli Mod.377 VB-STR assault rifle was an outright clone of the Galil AR/ARM variant, while the Bernardelli Mod.378 VB-SR assault carbine was a modified clone of the Galil SAR with a different magazine well that accepted STANAG magazines, much similar in concept and look to the above-mentioned optional magazine adapter currently available for the Israeli-made models, except that the Bernardelli VB-SR could be manufactured with permanent STANAG magazine well modification on demand.[32] The rifles competed to the trial for the adoption of a new 5.56x45mm NATO caliber rifle, but lost to the Beretta 70/90 assault weapons system. However, as of today, both models result by official schedules to be in the inventories of the Italian National Police, and are known to be deployed with the NOCS team.[33]
## Lesotho[15]
## Mongolia[35][36]
## Myanmar: Tatmadaw, Myanmar Police Force, Combat Police battalions. Produced locally in a modified form as EMERK-3.[citation needed]
## Nepal[15]
## Nicaragua[15]
## Paraguay: Indumil-made Galils for the Fuerzas de Operaciones de Policias Especiales,SENAD (Drug Enforcement)and main Rifle of the Paraguayan Police [37]
## Peru[15]
## Philippines[15][38]
## Portugal: 5.56mm AR and ARM versions used by the Portuguese Army airborne infantry.[39]
## Rwanda[15]
## South Africa: Standard assault rifle of the South African National Defence Force. Produced under license in a modified form as the R4 by Denel Land Systems.[40]
## Swaziland[15]
## Tanzania: MAR version seen in use by Tanzanian special forces in the Congo.[41]
## Trinidad and Tobago.[15] The Trinidad and Tobago Regiment uses this weapon as its standard issue. Also used in conjunction with the FN FAL and M16. Galil ACE also used but in limited numbers.
## Ukraine: Sniper variant is used by the "Omega" special forces group. (produced under license as the Fort-301)[42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USERS:

## Bolivia[15]
## Botswana[15]
## Costa Rica[15]
## Djibouti[21]
## El Salvador[22]
## Fiji[27]
## Haiti[15]
## India[15]
## Lesotho[15]
## Mongolia[35][36]
## Nepal[15]
## Nicaragua[15]
## Peru[15]
## Philippines[15][38]
## Rwanda[15]
## Swaziland[15]

That may be the sorriest resume for just about any man-made product, ever.

Trinidad and Tobago? Are they still a thing?

Nepal? You don't advertise that one, you keep that a secret.

And Lesotho? Lesotho died in "The Phantom Menace", or so I remember.

Swaziland has one Galil and both of their soldiers share it.

That list is a veritable Who's Who of Guiness record holders for the lowest just about everything.

If I'm trying to sell Galils, better to list who doesn't use them and accidentally spill ketchup over "doesn't"...
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That list is a veritable Who's Who of Guiness record holders for the lowest just about everything.

If I'm trying to sell Galils, better to list who doesn't use them and accidentally spill ketchup over "doesn't"...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USERS:

## Bolivia[15]
## Botswana[15]
## Costa Rica[15]
## Djibouti[21]
## El Salvador[22]
## Fiji[27]
## Haiti[15]
## India[15]
## Lesotho[15]
## Mongolia[35][36]
## Nepal[15]
## Nicaragua[15]
## Peru[15]
## Philippines[15][38]
## Rwanda[15]
## Swaziland[15]

To be fair, Israel doesnt have many friends in the world. IWI has to get customers wherever they can find them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:14:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fairly confident that they will. Atlantic has already said that the $1899 price is the MSRP and it's just a placeholder until they get them in stock. IWI at SHOT said that they will be pricing the Galil Ace LOWER than the Tavor. The Tavor carries a $1999 MSRP or $100 more than the Galil's MSRP. Tavors can be had for $1600 (I paid that much off Gunbroker), so I'm hopeful they'll be available eventually for $1400-$1500 on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, I'm interested in the ACE.  Not real interested in the old Galils.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Answer: yes, excited.

I have an original Galil SAR (properly SBR'd, too). The SAR variant is a nice enough gun, but there is no real market for a 10lb gun with so-so ergos and a proprietary magazine, which is what you're getting with the AR and ARM. (I saw someone post a picture of the Galatz - you realize that thing weighed like 16lbs, right?)

The ACE is an improvement in pretty much every way. Normal mags, better ergos, viable optics mounting options, and lighter weight. If I had room in my safe and cash to spare, I'd buy all three caliber versions, maybe go 8" 7.62x39 SBR, 13" 5.56x45 SBR, and get a nice 18" 7.62x51 gun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wanted one until I saw the $1800 price. Hell I wouldnt buy one at $1000
View Quote

Ditto. 700 or less, at most. I can buy so much more for so much less than the cost of a fucking 1800 polymer bodied AK.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't have anything against polymer bodies. However polymer is a cost saving measure first, weight saving second. See the CZ Scorpion for one example of polymer bodied gun I own and have no issue with. To me, the Galil ACE is not worth half its cost.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't have anything against polymer bodies. However polymer is a cost saving measure first, weight saving second. See the CZ Scorpion for one example of polymer bodied gun I own and have no issue with. To me, the Galil ACE is not worth half its cost.
View Quote

The Galil Ace has a milled steel receiver. There is no polymer body on the Galil, its just the pistol grip and magwell. The way IWI reduced the weight of the Galil was to use the receiver from the micro Galil.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Galil Ace has a milled steel receiver. There is no polymer body on the Galil, its just the pistol grip and magwell. The way IWI reduced the weight of the Galil was to use the receiver from the micro Galil.

http://imgdump1.novarata.net/image.php?di=KV4D
View Quote

???? You just reinforced my post. There IS a polymer body around the steel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The one issue I have with the platform is the foreend,if it were less bulky ........the folding stock?....check,longer sight radius?.......check,ambi safety?......check,uses(plentiful and available) Kalishnakov mags?......check,left side charging?............check,7.62x39mm?..........check,IWI designed?.........check
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imgdump1.novarata.net/image.php?di=KV4D

You think that just the grip and magwell constitutes the "body" of a gun? The Galil Ace's has a milled steel receiver for it's "body" and theres nothing cheap about it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:29:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Wouldn't mind trying one out to go with my Galil ARM. Would be nice if they redesigned the handguard a bit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I was interested in one as my first 7.62x39…til I saw the price. I feel that they have seriously jacked the price up. If it was that expensive (more than double the price of an M4/M16 variant) do you think that long list of "3rd world" countries would be using it
I have always had a fascination with the galil, but seriously that price just turns me off
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I was interested in one as my first 7.62x39…til I saw the price. I feel that they have seriously jacked the price up. If it was that expensive (more than double the price of an M4/M16 variant) do you think that long list of "3rd world" countries would be using it

I have always had a fascination with the galil, but seriously that price just turns me off
View Quote

Agreed.

Its a very nice/glorified/refined AK. Wouldn't mind owning one.....if the pricing was sane. It isn't at this point.

The cost to manufacture such a weapon is not at all in line with the asking price IMO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd like to give one a try.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Agreed.

Its a very nice/glorified/refined AK. Wouldn't mind owning one.....if the pricing was sane. It isn't at this point.

The cost to manufacture such a weapon is not at all in line with the asking price IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Hopefully IWI's marketing for this rifle is opposite of most other manufacturers.  Maybe they are quoting a high price prior to release only to deliver them at a much more affordable price.  I believe the folks saying this should be a sub $1000 rifle are not being realistic.  This rifle has several features not available on any other AK and the AKs that do have similar features are around the $1K mark.  I would be all over one for $1200.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hopefully IWI's marketing for this rifle is opposite of most other manufacturers.  Maybe they are quoting a high price prior to release only to deliver them at a much more affordable price.  I believe the folks saying this should be a sub $1000 rifle are not being realistic.  This rifle has several features not available on any other AK and the AKs that do have similar features are around the $1K mark.  I would be all over one for $1200.
View Quote

Highly unlikely you'll see it at $1200. More likely to be $1500, if they try to keep the same margins they had with the Tavor. That's probably slightly too high (I think they'd fly off the shelves at $1300), but they can always drop the price if sales don't meet expectations. Keep in mind that this is not a direct substitute for an AR - it's going after the AK market, and we've seen that, historically, people will pay crazy prices for a name and a bit of QC (hello, Arsenal!).
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:You think that just the grip and magwell constitutes the "body" of a gun? The Galil Ace's has a milled steel receiver for it's "body" and theres nothing cheap about it.
View Quote

Polymer being "cheap" (fragile, shoddy, inferior) is not my argument. You're right, though, there is nothing cheap about it, and that's the real argument. Considering what it's made of, it should be drastically cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Polymer being "cheap" (fragile, shoddy, inferior) is not my argument. You're right, though, there is nothing cheap about it, and that's the real argument. Considering what it's made of, it should be drastically cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:You think that just the grip and magwell constitutes the "body" of a gun? The Galil Ace's has a milled steel receiver for it's "body" and theres nothing cheap about it.

Yet people will still spend $2500 on a SCAR 17, despite it being made out of polymer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:Yet people will still spend $2500 on a SCAR 17, despite it being made out of polymer.
View Quote

These two rifles are not comparable in that respect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:08:02 AM EDT
[#38]
This would be a huge hit for me if the bolt locked back on an empty mag.

I still don't understand how it's not possible for 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This would be a huge hit for me if the bolt locked back on an empty mag.

I still don't understand how it's not possible for 7.62x39.
View Quote

Because of the mags. I'd rather not have a BHO and use standard AK mags.

AJ
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Yet people will still spend $2500 on a SCAR 17, despite it being made out of polymer.

I agree. The SCAR has way more polymer than the ACE. It should be cheaper to produce.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Ace, not really, but that Galatz....................oh yeah.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#42]
The Galil Ace Rifle version is at the top of my want list. I will buy one when they are available. I emailed IWI on Monday to ask about availability, they responded instantly and said they will hit the stores this summer.

The uninformed member who said it is like the Sig 556 is clueless. The ACE will be a semi auto version of the exact same Galil rifle they make in Israel today. The most modern version of the Galil. We have just been left out of the loop for the last 20 years on the Galil. So this won't be some buggy new rifle. It is time tested, completely modernized, and battle proven. Basically the best and most modern version AK available.

$1500 for the most modern Galil sounds just fine to me. And it uses $10 mags that you can find anywhere and ammo that costs $250 for 1000 rounds. What is not to like??? I will take the first one off the production line and not look back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I want one in 7.62x51.

Mainly so I can fiddle with swapping it to .260

Thought I wouldn't say no to a 7.62x39 one too...

Maybe to try swapping it to 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Same here.............looking forward to handling one

Quoted:
The Galil Ace Rifle version is at the top of my want list. I will buy one when they are available. I emailed IWI on Monday to ask about availability, they responded instantly and said they will hit the stores this summer.

The uninformed member who said it is like the Sig 556 is clueless. The ACE will be a semi auto version of the exact same Galil rifle they make in Israel today. The most modern version of the Galil. We have just been left out of the loop for the last 20 years on the Galil. So this won't be some buggy new rifle. It is time tested, completely modernized, and battle proven. Basically the best and most modern version AK available.

$1500 for the most modern Galil sounds just fine to me. And it uses $10 mags that you can find anywhere and ammo that costs $250 for 1000 rounds. What is not to like??? I will take the first one off the production line and not look back.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#45]
First post nailed it.  

The US never got its taste of the gun that everyone actually thinks of when you say "Galil."

Also, the SCAR is a horrible gun for making any sort of price caparison.  The thing is extruded aluminum.  I'd bet it's cheaper to make than even an AR.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:The US never got its taste of the gun that everyone actually thinks of when you say "Galil."
View Quote

I would simply add that I really think that most people singing the praises of the original Galil never owned one. It's a sexy, durable, and reliable gun, but it is completely obsolete now. The ACE corrects the issues that the original Galil had, or at least tries to.

Also, keep in mind that people were paying $2500-$3000 for Galil Micro builds back when CNCW finally got some receivers out there; there is considerable appetite in some circles for an updated Galil.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I would simply add that I really think that most people singing the praises of the original Galil never owned one. It's a sexy, durable, and reliable gun, but it is completely obsolete now. The ACE corrects the issues that the original Galil had, or at least tries to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:The US never got its taste of the gun that everyone actually thinks of when you say "Galil."

What were the issues the original Galil's had that needed to be corrected?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Weighed a ton for an intermediate caliber rifle.
2. So-so ergos (at least compared to what we have now)
3. Used proprietary mags.
4. No built-in optics mount, and no standard cheek riser.
5. 1:12 barrel twist rate

Can you fix that stuff? Sure. That's the ACE.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than twist rate and proprietary mags....I prefer something along these lines...

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Other than twist rate and proprietary mags....I prefer something along these lines...

http://www.silencertests.com/albums/IMI/MG_3771_small.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.silencertests.com/albums/IMI/MG_3771_small.jpg

The galil ace has versions that can take ar15 mags.

The galil ace produced in Vietnam show that it can take galil folding stocks.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top