Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 10:16:09 AM EDT
I seen one locally for $300, seems well built and an accurate replica. Anyone that has one care to comment ? Are they reliable ? Pros/cons ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It's extremely heavy for a .22 and the long magazine makes it extremely difficult to shoot prone or from a bench, but mine runs fine and it's a fun range toy. It's not a practical rifle by any stretch of the word and the novelty factor is really the only reason to get one.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
All of those impractical items are what makes it historically accurate.

It's a very good reproduction of a rifle that most can not find and surely most can not afford.
If you're into WWII weapons you will not be disappointed.   I love mine.

If you want a spot on target shooter ... sure there are better choices.

For $300, it's a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Double tap..
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont have one however I think they are really cool and one day I might pick one up
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
For 300. Yup.  I would love a semi if the original caliber. I settled for a .22lr.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For 300. Yup. I would love a semi if the original caliber. I settled for a .22lr.
View Quote

This is being built right now and will be imported within the next year.  

And yes, in the original caliber of 7.92 x 33  mm.

The price is going to be  pretty steep I am afraid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:49:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For 300. Yup. I would love a semi if the original caliber. I settled for a .22lr.

Cool, by why not make it in 7.62x39 and make it more appealing to US shooters instead to the obscure and expensive 7.92 Kurtz ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
If they made one in 7.62x39 for the right price I would definitely get one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
It would have to be completely re-engineered to accommodate 7.62 x 39mm  it; would no longer be an accurate replica.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had a few hundred of the Sturmgewehr 44 (STG-44) semi-auto versions (PTR-44) come in a few years ago and sold out quickly. They were about $4000. They were chambered in the 7.92 Kurz (7.92x33mm) which translates to 7.92 Short. This is a short version of the 8mm Mauser round (7.92x57mm).

To be able to buy a .22lr version for $300 is a really good opportunity. They originally retailed for $399 and at one point, some were priced at $499. I really want a 7.92x33mm version for my collection.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Who is making the new 7.92 import?

The .22 is a nice weapon, but as others have said, it's too heavy for a .22, and the rear sights are not graduated correctly. I bought mine just as .22 ammo began it's disappearing act, so I haven't shot it much.
It seems I have shot it's sister, the newly imported GSG-MP40 .22 much more than the STG even though I've owned the STG much, much longer.

I knew I had to SBR it before I even bought it. Who ever heard of an MP40 with a silencer???
I could hardly wait to get the tax stamp back and head to the chop-saw. Found a guy online selling aluminum muzzle nuts, and the sling came off ebay. It's my favorite plinker now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one, bought it on  a whim and to get the $50 rebate.  Like others have said, heavy.  Sights are crap but authentic. Mine is touchy on ammo, not unusual in a rifle like this.  Accuracy is so so.  Its a fun enough range toy.  Ergonomics leave a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It would have to be completely re-engineered to accommodate 7.62 x 39mm  it; would no longer be an accurate replica.
View Quote

Also guaranteed arf members will say why get this when you can get an ak for less
and not use proprietary mags.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd buy one in 7.62x39. I have four AK's, and two SKS's, so that stops that ARFcom debate. It'd be no more or no less an accurate representation as one in .22lr. Especially if they DID use proprietary (non-ak) mags that maintained the look and curve of the Stg44 and were still reliable. Asking a lot there I know, but who ever figured they'd get 25 rounds to work in a straight MP40 mag???!!! :)
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the GSG5SD, and it's a fun gun with a dot sight against a plate rack!

I was going to get the STG, but 22 ammo dried up, so figure I'll pick one a barely used one eventually.

They sure look nice!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Supposedly ATI or GSG has announced both an 8mm mauser short version of the STG and a 9mm version of the MP-40. Who knows when, and probably too much $$ for a novelty, but glad to see 'em coming to the market.
I've held both the STG 44 .22lr and the MP-40 .22lr, both look good in person and feel very close to the real thing. When I can get an MP-40 for under MSRP I'll snag one, hoping after the initial demand winds down they'll get discounted as much as the STGs. My local PSA has had them on sale for $300 multiple times.

I've never had much of an opinion on these .22lr 'copycats' but a few years ago I picked up a Walther/Umarex MP5-22 and had a blast with it. Very accurate & reliable. If the ATI/GSG guns are anywhere near as good you won't be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've never had much of an opinion on these .22lr 'copycats' but a few years ago I picked up a Walther/Umarex MP5-22 and had a blast with it. Very accurate & reliable. If the ATI/GSG guns are anywhere near as good you won't be dissapointed.
View Quote

^^^THIS^^^  I too have an HK MP5SD .22 and she's a fun gun to shoot and FAR more accurate than it has any right to be.  Also, it's been 100% reliable with any ammo I've put through it.  I too am thinking of getting a STg44 .22 rifle but while it's on my "bucket list", other rifles have a higher priority.  Not to say I won't be getting one, but just not right now.  BTW, the comment of the sights not being regulated very well, in what way?  How are they off?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Got mine for $270 last year on sale and with a rebate so $300 is ok deal. I like it a lot just because I've had a thing for the stg44 for a long time.  Never jams, decent accuracy for plinker, crap trigger (but it's a plinker so meh), rear site is way too low so it needs to be set at 700m to zero at 50m.  I may someday try the washer under the rear site trick but it doesn't bother me much.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

^^^THIS^^^  I too have an HK MP5SD .22 and she's a fun gun to shoot and FAR more accurate than it has any right to be.  Also, it's been 100% reliable with any ammo I've put through it.  I too am thinking of getting a STg44 .22 rifle but while it's on my "bucket list", other rifles have a higher priority.  Not to say I won't be getting one, but just not right now.  BTW, the comment of the sights not being regulated very well, in what way?  How are they off?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me, at typical plinking distances (15-30yds) I had to raise the rear sight almost all the way to get zeroed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top