Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2015 10:47:21 PM EDT
O.K.

I won a gun in a local raffle. I don't want the particular gun (Howa game king combo in .270) so I can get a store credit from the local huge sports store.

I know $500 won't get a lot these days, but anyone have any ideas as to what they may get?

I have a few ARs, a pump and a semi-auto 12 gauge, a .308 bolt gun, a semi-auto .22 rifle, a 9mm pistol and a .22 conversion kit for said pistol.

Things I was thinking (some would need to be used to get to this price):

1. Ruger LCR in .22 or .38
2. Ruger American Rimfire
3. Glock 42
4. Karh 9mm or .380
5. Maybe something lever action

I don't want to buy optcs or accessories

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
ammo or maybe a nice scope or  both
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to buy a firearm....I spend way to much money otherwise on mags, optics, ammo, etc......
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have #1 in .38 as a carry piece and like it.  Not a bad choice IMO.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I do have a permit to carry and no real carry gun.

Was considering the glock 42 for carry as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a SW MP shield in 9mm

and an iwb holster

and a bit of ammo

ETA:  The shield is just a suggestion, there are many options,  a carry gun is what you are missing, find one that you like and works well for you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

and an iwb holster

and a bit of ammo

ETA:  The shield is just a suggestion, there are many options,  a carry gun is what you are missing, find one that you like and works well for you.
View Quote

I think you have a point. I need a carry gun.

They have a used Kahr CM9 for $279, that seems like a heck of a deal. It has the poly frame, are the little guns fairly stout with recoil? I has a Glock 26 and 27 and neither of those where a big deal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]
They have a little more snap than a full size pistol but still very controllable. The Shield is a nice little carry gun and I know someone that has that same Kahr. The shield is built like a tank compared to the kahr but the kahr weighs less and is comfortable.

Quoted:

They have a used Kahr CM9 for $279, that seems like a heck of a deal. It has the poly frame, are the little guns fairly stout with recoil? I has a Glock 26 and 27 and neither of those where a big deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and an iwb holster

and a bit of ammo

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
G43.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the shield 9
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
G43.
View Quote

If they had one on the shelf, I would buy this and be done. I may have to sit tight and see when one shows up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I vote for the Kahr. I had a PM9 and it was the most accurate small frame auto Ive shot. Loved the trigger. Easy to carry. Only reason I sold mine was to standardize to Glock mags. So I bought a G26. Plus looks like youll have a few bucks left for an extra mag, ammo, or holster for it.

Heres a Youtube video on the Kahr and Shield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCoXKU71xVs

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#12]
$500 worth of .22LR
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
$500 worth of .22LR
View Quote

They don't have a single box on the shelf
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
+1 for the shield 9
View Quote

This is your answer.  I have and it is a great little carry pistol in 9mm.  I have about three hundred rds through mine, narrying a jam and it will surprise you with its accuracy.  A couple of work buddies have the Shield in 40 and they also have zero complaints.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a bit of an update.

I wasn't sure how much the credit was going to be, but I verified it will be $510 plus tax......so $510 in merchandise and I won't have to pay tax.

I asked about the glock 43 (I actually held the 42 in my hand and I think I would really like it) he said they have 60 on order, but don't know when they will arrive. I asked if they thought it would be the same $449 sticker price and they assume it will.

As of right now (unless they get something cooler in stock) I think I will plan to wait until they get a 43. I like glocks, that is what me other handgun and .22 conversion are.

My mind will probably change 20 times in the next few days...haha.

Would just go for the 42, but why have it in .380 for the size? I know...that is everyone's thought
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Glock 43
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I should just buy a Glock 26 and call it a day. A little thicker, but 10 or 12+1 and I can also use my existing larger mags at the range. Buy a Clipdraw and an extra mag.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe I should just buy a Glock 26 and call it a day. A little thicker, but 10 or 12+1 and I can also use my existing larger mags at the range. Buy a Clipdraw and an extra mag.
View Quote

I do not like double stack subcompacts, so I would skip the 26 and go 19.  Hides about the same for most people.

The Kahr is nice but you will have to get used to a long trigger.  Ive had good luck with my Kahr.  

My vote is to just wait on the 43.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#19]
500? Ammo. Or save that $500 until you have $1000, then save that $1000 until you have $2000. Then buy something you really want.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#20]
.22 suppressor if they are a dealer.  I know you said "firearm" but I'm a dick and ignored that.

Otherwise, if you carry, get a backup of your 9mm. 2 is 1.  Either same model, or partially compatible parts model.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a few new ideas.....I said I would change my mind 20 times before actually deciding...haha.

I like the ammo idea, as well as the others. They don't sell suppressors, but my latest thought would be a suppressor host actually.

I don't have a bolt action .22, and the have one of these:

Click here

I am not in love with the stock color, etc.....but it felt real good. It was listed at $299 IIRC, could buy that and a nice little scope, mag or 2 and a case.

That is my idea as of this time of day
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a few new ideas.....I said I would change my mind 20 times before actually deciding...haha.

I like the ammo idea, as well as the others. They don't sell suppressors, but my latest thought would be a suppressor host actually.

Click here

I am not in love with the stock color, etc.....but it felt real good. It was listed at $299 IIRC, could buy that and a nice little scope, mag or 2 and a case.

View Quote

I could foresee a lot of prairie dogs meeting their demise with this decision.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Click here

View Quote

The FV-SR is a fun little rifle, very happy with mine:

Mega thread here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/334696_savage_mark_2__edit_op__4_28_12.html

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://s20.postimg.org/jew3fcid9/FV_SR_008.jpg

Mega thread here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/334696_savage_mark_2__edit_op__4_28_12.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click here

http://s20.postimg.org/jew3fcid9/FV_SR_008.jpg

i am part of that thread....I have since sold the savage I had. I do silly things sometimes
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#25]
4 HiPoints? I would probably wait for the G43. I am not a Glock guy, but that thing has tightened my pants a bit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Got have 6 mags.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#27]
How about the LCRx with the 3" barrel and adjustable sights?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How about the LCRx with the 3" barrel and adjustable sights?
View Quote

If they had one, I would seriously consider one......but, they don't have one.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Go with the G42!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and an iwb holster

and a bit of ammo

Kahr +ammo=done deal! boom
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#31]
The cheap Kahr is gone....sold it before I got my gift card in hand.

The 42 would be fun, big enough to enjoy shooting at the range, but small enough to easily conceal. I just don't know if I can own a .380. I like the idea that that on the shelf, instead of waiting on the 43.

Damn......it's a curse to have $500 to spend...haha. I am trying NOT to allow myself to buy something that I need to add money to.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Couldn't stress anymore on what to buy.....This seems to fit the bill nicely. Out the door, I had to pony up $42.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You want to carry the most unreliable gun ever produced by Glock??  

Go to Glocktalk.com and ask about them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you see the post directly above you.........I bought a Springfield XDs 9mm.

No longer considering the 42.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats on the new gun!  Have you shot it yet?  

Will need a range report.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I ran just outside of city limits (not far from my house) and fired 3 rounds in each mag, for a grand total of 6.  Wanted to feel how recoil was while using the mag with the pinky spot and wthout. It was pretty tame. Some of the smaller guns aren't always that way...from what I hear.

Functioned with all 6 ZQ1 9mm rounds from Wally world.

Looking forward for t to get out of the 30s again......i think this will be fun just for popping at the range too, some of the carry guns I have owned haven't been much fun.

So far, so good.

Oh, ordered a second 8 round mag....that is the one with the spacer that adds a spot for your pinky.

Not many places have the 8rd mag....most only have the 7 and the longer 9 shot mag...the 8 shot seems perfect.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I ran just outside of city limits (not far from my house) and fired 3 rounds in each mag, for a grand total of 6.  Wanted to feel how recoil was while using the mag with the pinky spot and wthout. It was pretty tame. Some of the smaller guns aren't always that way...from what I hear.

Functioned with all 6 ZQ1 9mm rounds from Wally world.

Looking forward for t to get out of the 30s again......i think this will be fun just for popping at the range too, some of the carry guns I have owned haven't been much fun.

So far, so good.

Oh, ordered a second 8 round mag....that is the one with the spacer that adds a spot for your pinky.

Not many places have the 8rd mag....most only have the 7 and the longer 9 shot mag...the 8 shot seems perfect.
View Quote

Nice choice on the XDS. If you wanted a carry gun, you picked a good option. I'm also not much of a glock fan though either...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top