Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2015 3:49:33 PM EDT
(Please do not leave comments about this products negatives. I only need specific help listed below. Thanks)
I recently acquired a DPMS AR15 5.56. It came with a Vector Optics scoc-14 Goliath scope. However,  there is no paperwork with it explaining the use of it. I can't find anything on the Web either. I need to get ahold of information on how to sight in/ focus this scope. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I contacted Vector Optics directory and they gave me a guy to email. He will not return my email inquiries.  Cheers in advance!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
That PDF download answered none of my questions. I was able to find that myself. I need more than a 1 page document explaining more than the features of the scope.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:01:30 AM EDT
[#3]
So you're asking how to zero an optic and adjustable iron sights then, not how to operate this particular optic, because that page gives you everything you need.

Start at 25 yards.  Have a buddy with you. Shoot 3 shots aiming at a bullseye. If the 3 make a group, aim at the bullseye again and make sure you don't let the rifle move at all. Have your friend dial in windage and elevation until your crosshairs are on the group. But you can't let the rifle move while they do so. Shoot another group of 3 and it should be pretty close. Assuming it is, move out to your chosen zero distance and verify. Fine tune windage and elevation. Then adjust the irons to match. Or you could choose a different zero, perhaps more CQT distance so you don't have to worry about holdover. Up to you.

Once you get your zero, you might want to make witness marks. Then you can play with the dials and always get back to zero. I'd assume 1 click=1/4" at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]
No. But thanks anyways. I'll find someone in person to see my issue.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Gee!  That one page does answer the questions you have posed so far.  It sights in just like any other optic with turrets, as described and depicted.  There is a focus ring on the back of the eyepiece.  The rear iron sight is adjustable for both elevation and windage with a hex wrench.  The illumination is adjusted by the dial on top. The coin battery is inside the illumination dial and is removed by turning tge slotted top.   All this is very typical and is clear on the one page download.  Are you serious?  Are you trolling?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Gee!  That one page does answer the questions you have posed so far.  It sights in just like any other optic with turrets, as described and depicted.  There is a focus ring on the back of the eyepiece.  The rear iron sight is adjustable for both elevation and windage with a hex wrench.  The illumination is adjusted by the dial on top. The coin battery is inside the illumination dial and is removed by turning tge slotted top.   All this is very typical and is clear on the one page download.  Are you serious?  Are you trolling?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y'all tried. Just let him go. He must find his own way.

OP, posting in tech when you're clueless about something and then rejecting feedback seems silly.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys I apologize for that. It was a serious inquiry.  I guess I'm new to this problem.  The main thing I don't understand is when I look through the scope the barrel mounted front iron sight is in view and cause issues with my sighting. Do I remove the iron sight? I thought it was part of the barrel. Before when I said no I'll go ask someone,  was my way of not trying to sound like a total noob instead of explaining the actual issue. However,  I feel I owe it to those trying to help. I do see actual scope operation. It's the iron sight in view that is getting me... that's my issue. Sorry and thanks for helping
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You are seeing the ghost image of your front rifle sight, its normal for a low powered optic on an ar15. If you have a standard ar15 front sight tower you will have to replace the whole unit with low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
On unmagnified optics (red dot/holo) it's generally desirable so you can have back-up sights that co-witness.

With magnified optics, it just doesn't work. So, as stated already, you either deal with it or change the gas block. There maybe other alternatives, such as adding a riser (or risers) under the optic. Like: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313161/yankee-hill-machine-picatinny-style-mini-riser-mount-1-1-4-length-aluminum-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Obviously, raising the height of the optic may get it to clear the front sight, but will alter your ability to cheek weld.

ETA: another option might be an offset mount like: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/577394/weaver-tactical-offset-picatinny-accessory-rail-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

However, the offset will impact accuracy at different ranges, as you're changing the barrel angle from vertical when you tilt the rifle. So it won't just change vertical POI, it will string diagonally. Off set is a good way to do backups, but I don't think I'd use them for optics, especially magnified.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On unmagnified optics (red dot/holo) it's generally desirable so you can have back-up sights that co-witness.

With magnified optics, it just doesn't work. So, as stated already, you either deal with it or change the gas block. There maybe other alternatives, such as adding a riser (or risers) under the optic. Like: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313161/yankee-hill-machine-picatinny-style-mini-riser-mount-1-1-4-length-aluminum-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Obviously, raising the height of the optic may get it to clear the front sight, but will alter your ability to cheek weld.

ETA: another option might be an offset mount like: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/577394/weaver-tactical-offset-picatinny-accessory-rail-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

However, the offset will impact accuracy at different ranges, as you're changing the barrel angle from vertical when you tilt the rifle. So it won't just change vertical POI, it will string diagonally. Off set is a good way to do backups, but I don't think I'd use them for optics, especially magnified.
View Quote

Had an ACOG on my M4 for years. The front sight tower doesn't interfere with the function of the optic. It's just kinda there, and you get used to it after a while
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I meant the co-witness doesn't work, not the scope. Like I said you can just deal with it. But if it drives you nuts, there are solutions, even if costly or imperfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top