Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2015 8:30:41 PM EDT
Local guy is selling a used Steyer Aug in OD Green preban with the built in scope. He is asking $2600 but got him down to $2300. Comes with 5 mags.
Its used bt its not all banged up I would say its 70-80%. I don't live in a state where pre-ban matters.
Whats the going rate? good price or not?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually I see them for around $3,000 in good condition, so $2300 is a great deal if you ask me, even if it's not perfect.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Are preban AUGs still going for that much?  You can get a new A3 for less than $2300.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are preban AUGs still going for that much?  You can get a new A3 for less than $2300.
View Quote

mags & optic kick that price up. If you want an AUG, do the deal
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]
For an A1 that is a buy now price for myself.

But if you don't want the A1, there are new AUG M1's with 1.5x, 3x, or railed models for significantly less.

Here's a brand new Steyr AUG M1 in white (only 100 made) that costs less than what you are looking at.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Now that Steyr is making the A3M1, the exotic and unique nature of the A1 isn't really of value any more.  I still would consider it, since the scope is a little slimmer than what they are selling on the A3M1, but overall, you can get a brand new rifle from the same manufacturer now for about $300-$500 less, with a few product improvements like the bolt lock/release, 3X glass vs 1.5, and a couple extra rails.  Along with the ability to replace the scope with a rail or a different one.

The mags are worth about $100 all told, since new ones (which would be new, by the way) are about $20 each.

Basically... unless the slightly slimmer profile scope has considerable value to you, I'd pass and just get a new one.  People who hung on to A1's as a long term investments lost - because they are no longer limited or irreplacable.  The subtle differences (deficiencies to most people) are not of value in the US market, as this countries buyers aren't going to value the historical nature of an early generation AUG.

Personally, now that I think on it, I wouldn't be interested unless the price was closer to about a grand.  It's a used out of date model - to be blunt about it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got both a preban AUG SA and a new A3, and to be fair the fixed carry handle optic on the old one is no great shakes.  Maybe back in the day when iron sights were the norm, but now a non removable, non-illuminated, 1.5x (?) optic isn't that appealing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]

I've got both a preban AUG SA and a new A3, and to be fair the fixed carry handle optic on the old one is no great shakes.  Maybe back in the day when iron sights were the norm, but now a non removable, non-illuminated, 1.5x (?) optic isn't that appealing.[/quote]

Agree. I have a soft spot for them .I sold mine during one of the  I NEED TO HAVE it now panic's year ago. Same for the FNC
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Reason I passed up a NIB one was because I knew I would shoot it, and the optic was outdated.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I disagree, its a collector item that isn't made any more.

They will always hold more value over the newer "made in the USA" versions.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, they don't make many typewriters anymore and there's no way in hell I'd pay more for a typewriter than a laptop. Only buy it if you really want to spend that much for a fixed 1.5 non illuminated scope with a circle for a reticle, because that is about the only thing that makes it "worth" more money than a brand new one.

Since I have a new A3 M1, I'd pass.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, for the sake of argument....

From a purely collector's perspective, the A1s represent to last of the truly 100% factory, Austrian-made AUGs. They were imported as is.

The A3s and now M1s are assembled from parts imported from Steyr Austria and others made in the US, and on US-made receivers.  While certainly being Steyr-branded, they are the equivalent of older DSA FALs or high-quality US-made HK clones.  

I don't own one, so I can't answer this question, but do serial numbers match across the parts on the A3? Used to own and A1,  the matching serial appearing on several different parts of the gun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
A1 will always be worth more than the sum of its parts...
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, for the sake of argument....

From a purely collector's perspective, the A1s represent to last of the truly 100% factory, Austrian-made AUGs. that were modified to semi-auto for export to the US Market, and then imported as is.

The A3s and now M1s are assembled from parts imported from Steyr Austria and others made in the US, and on US-made receivers.  While certainly being Steyr-branded, they are the equivalent of older DSA FALs or high-quality US-made HK clones.  

I don't own one, so I can't answer this question, but do serial numbers match across the parts on the A3? Used to own and A1,  the matching serial appearing on several different parts of the gun.
View Quote

Fixed it for ya.

Look, there are some people that are going to value the Nostalgia of a 1970's/1980's era Import AUG.  Just like some people value an Atari-2600.  The difference is, nobody in the US grew up with an AUG.  There is no Americana nostalgia for one.  Only a very  very few absolute purists (i.e. people who already have one) will see the value of one.  If we were in Austria (and if lots of people could and did buy them), then sure, I could see people placing a value on such an iconic historical collectors item rendition - of a product still in production at the same factory basically made the same way.  But in an Export market?  A fricken Mosin Nagant has more collector's value to most people as a harken to a former era, than a 1980's AUG ever will.

Get it if you want it, but as an investment - be ready to sit on it for a looong time.  This seller is a case in point.  In today's dollars, he paid more for it than he's trying to sell it for, still in excellent condition, and still having a hard time finding a buyer.  The A3M1 pretty much killed the A1 resell market.

Just get a new one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That is a good price on an A1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Local guy is selling a used Steyer Aug in OD Green preban with the built in scope. He is asking $2600 but got him down to $2300. Comes with 5 mags.

Its used bt its not all banged up I would say its 70-80%. I don't live in a state where pre-ban matters.

Whats the going rate? good price or not?

That is a good price on an A1.
+1 if everything checks out and you want it i'd FO

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
70 to 80 percent is shooter grade, not collector. And the old 1.5x sucks by modern standard.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]
You can get a brand new one for that price on GB, or less for a railed model

So considering pre-ban does not mean anything in your state I would pass...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top