Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 9:14:28 AM EDT
If you leave Silica Gel or an Eva Dry dehumidifier in a safe after it has become fully saturated, will this somehow add more moisture into the safe and cause a more humid environment inside the safe?

Lets assume the safe isn't perfect airtight, as they never seem to be.

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No; it will not add any moisture to the air. The only negative thing it could do, if something is touching it, would be to keep a greater amount of moisture next to the surface of whatever object is touching it.

I've opened safes and seen really old desiccant that was inside a perforated sheet metal container. It had caused the container to rust, but that was all. It cannot add moisture. It simply takes moisture from the air until it becomes fully saturated, then holds that moisture within itself.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep every one of those little silica gel packs I can get. I also know someone that works at a drug store and I get boxes of them. I use them in my safes that do not have the golden rods and it works great!!! I have never had a single issue with rust or moisture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top