Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2015 3:34:29 PM EDT
Anyone have any pros or cons on this rifle?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been awhile, but Military Arms Channel did a video on it.  In short, it seems like it has some serious problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine runs great and I get very good accuracy out of cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Concur. Mine runs fine with the cheap steel cased junk stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

There junk, like most of the Exeter NewHampshire Sigs

You will be much better served with a higher end AK or I haven't really seen a review on that CMMG Mutant yet, CMMG makes decent stuff so I wouldn't hesitate for a minute if I was looking for a 7.62x39 rifle that was more "AR"ish.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's been awhile, but Military Arms Channel did a video on it.  In short, it seems like it has some serious problems.
View Quote

Are you sure that wasn't the newer SIG rifle in 7.62x39 the 55R XI? I saw MAC's video on it vs the ACE and naturally wasn't impressed at all.

Unless they stopped making the 556R Gen 2 (maybe they have--did they???) I had thought that was what the OP was addressing.

I had a Gen 2 SIG 556R. I no longer have it. Why? Because I needed to pay my fu**ing mortgage and basic living expenses. Sell the gun/ammo/mags, or fall behind and get into deep shit. That is the ONLY reason it was sold. Period.

I had the thing for about a year and a half and shot it as often as I could. It did not come with a front folding iron site unfortunately (did come with cheap SIG mini red dot which I did not care for, as well as a rather flimsy rear back up sight that I did not use) but I got a Samson front sight and a Knight's Armament Company BUIS and damn those sights together kicked ass. I used an Eotech on the rifle for a good while which worked quite well, but to be honest I was so happy with my shots at 200 yards in the unsupported prone with the irons that I just ran the gun with those.

The rifle to the very best of my knowledge ran perfectly 100% with every mag I tried (including Yugo BHO mags) with the exception of the cheap TAPCO mag that came with it--one jam through that, and only that magazine about 2 or 3 rounds in, and that was it. I didn't care, because I never used that or any TAPCO mags in the gun again.

The trigger was a bit heavier than I would have liked for it to be, but certainly no worse than the G3 triggers I am used to, and probably around the same as my SCAR 17 trigger from what I remember. The folding stocks on the Gen 2 guns were unfortunately not adjustable for length of pull, and truth be told it did feel a bit short even for a person on the shorter side as I am, but on a practical level it made little if any difference to my unsupported shooting. I swear I had an easier time shooting that gun accurately than I do my stupid Colt M4 (with adjustable LOP stock, supposedly better ergos and all).

The rifle was not perfect by any means (although I stand by mine at least as being functionally 100% reliable after ditching the CRAPCO mag that came with it). Take it for what it is worth as it comes from Gabe Suarez's blog, but a paragraph from an article he did relatively recently on the 556 XI pretty much covers the criticisms regarding fit, ergos, rail space, etc. :

http://blog.suarezinternational.com/2014/10/the-sig-556r-xi-the-ultimate-762x39.html#.VOk3Pi5cgWc

From article:

"The Gen 2 SIG 556R was a nice rifle…but we all know it could have been improved.  The top rail was too short, limiting options for optics and other mission essentials.  The hand guard was not up to modern standards, being slightly loose and without any real provision for attaching accessories.  The pistol grip was larger than necessary and reaching the safety was difficult for some operators.  As well, there was a disconcerting looseness inherent in the upper and lower receiver.  Different aftermarket concerns sought to answer these issues with varying degrees of success."

This thus far is the ONLY rifle (that is NOT an AK!) that I have seen firsthand to be reliable with steel cased ammo and metal AK mags (or for that matter, military polymer ones). I had waited for YEARS for something like that to come out. Even my Valmet M62S had trouble getting Bulgy waffles to lock in it. I had a PTR-32 Gen 1 that I thought was going to be favorite rifle ever until I got it out to the range and discovered it wouldn't feed worth a sh** from ANY metal AK mags. After that disaster I really wondered if anybody COULD make a a rifle in 7.62x39 that took standard AK mags and was reliable. SIG did. I had one. It is gone now.

How much did I like/trust this thing? Let me put it this way--at one time I had a $3500 Valmet, a $2000 (at that time) Arsenal M-7SF and a $1200 SIG 556R, all in 7.62x39. The Valmet was beyond ridiculously expensive and while it has the best factory sights on any AK, the accuracy at best was on par with the SIG, and the SIG had a rail, better safety and folding stock at well less than half the price. Plus Valmets aren't even made any more. The Arsenal M-7SF was my favorite AK rifle in 7.62x39, had an ambi safety and an excellent side folding stock with a perfect LOP, but it still used the crude, traditional AK sights that I have always had a tough time with, and if you wanted to mount optics you had to use either the side rail mount (too high for Eotechs without cheek riser) or an Ultimak (not really a fan). What could those two AK rifles (which in my opinion were the best of the best) do that the 556R could not? AT least from my perspective, nothing.

Again all of this is based on MY personal experience with the SIG 556R Gen 2 rifle. don't know about the newer 556R XI rifle that MAC has reviewed, other than to say the rifle he shot does not look very promising as far as reliability if it is representative at all.  I really, really hope that they have not discontinued the regular 556R in favor of that thing...

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You will be much better served with a higher end AK or I haven't really seen a review on that CMMG Mutant yet, CMMG makes decent stuff so I wouldn't hesitate for a minute if I was looking for a 7.62x39 rifle that was more "AR"ish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love when people talk and have no clue...........do me a favor while your at it, go do a quick review search on the CMMG, I BET you wont like what you see......maybe start calling CMMG junk as well?

Ok OP......when the rifles first came out they had some issues.......but that has been squared away........If I was getting back in the 762x39 game the sig would be an option for sure
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I also have a number of higher end AKs, 556R has it's place among them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I love when people talk and have no clue...........do me a favor while your at it, go do a quick review search on the CMMG, I BET you wont like what you see......maybe start calling CMMG junk as well?

Ok OP......when the rifles first came out they had some issues.......but that has been squared away........If I was getting back in the 762x39 game the sig would be an option for sure
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Clue??? I too once drank the Sig Kool Aid, since 2010 I have owned 2 Sig rifles and at one time was seriously considering the "r" until I encountered them on multiply range days, different owners having functionablity issues.

Both of my rifle have been to back to Sig with absurd quality issues, I spent years denying the issues to myself I can't believe they would have even let them out the door to begin with! I have said it before and I say it again maybe its because every other Monday morning they release yet another version of one of the pistols - I wouldn't be surprised if they released a My Little Pony edition 226

I have just spent 2 hours using my Google-Fu trying to find a negative word about the Mk47, and couldn't find anything. Thats not saying there haven't been any issue since it was only released 3 months ago. Comparing it to googling the Sig 556 rifles you have about 50/50 chance of finding complaints from owners.

OP take it for what this all is about - opinions. Watch some videos and average them together and draw your own conclusion and if your open and fair minded you can decide if the "r" is the next 7.62x39 rifle is for you. I run my rifles hard and could never have ultimate faith in any Sig USA rifle again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I have just spent 2 hours using my Google-Fu trying to find a negative word about the Mk47, and couldn't find anything. Thats not saying there haven't been any issue since it was only released 3 months ago.
View Quote

There's a range report on the MK47 on this board, I think it's in the AR Discussion forum, first trip out was not good with Hungarian Tanker 20 round mags and Tula ammo. Last I saw it's being shipped back to CMMG, with their reputation I've no doubt they'll do everything they can to try to make it right. No experience with Sig rifles here but I have an older P220 and a newer P226 and used to own a P938, all are great pistols that have given me zero troubles. 1st gen Sig 556Rs with the aluminum magwells seemed to be pretty problematic, later ones with the steel magwells fared much better. I've heard of several complaints about the upper rail loosening up but that can easily be corrected with loctite.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Gen 2 556R and it's been 100% reliable with el cheapo Tula.
It's one of my all time favorite rifles. I say go for it!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine worked fine with the mag it came with.  I have some old steel mags (not sure if they're Chinese or what) and I had problems with at least one of those.  I need to figure out which mags, once and for all, it doesn't like.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a 556R Gen2. Excellent gun. Had to ship it back once for extractor issues, but it's run great ever since. No magazine problems beyond the usual AK stuff that you fix with a file.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I got the 556R, should have it in a few days...if it gives me reliability and consistent groups, I'll be happy.
I appreciate all the info and I understand why some get upset, you shell out all this money and the thing doesn't work can get frustrating..
If I'm reading the Sig website correctly, the 556R have been discounted...  

However at the same time, Sig is offering a 556XI chambered in 7.62x39, can't say I like the look of it. The 556R is much more better looking, more like the classic 55x rifles.
If I'm lucky, I can find a set of the classic 551 handguards for it, I'm still wondering what type of scope to use with the 7.62, I'm thinking 4 power??

I don't plan on keeping this as a safe queen rifle, I'm have a AAC 7.62 suppressor and I plan on running the shit out of this thing. What attracted me to this rifle (other then the classic 55x look) is the gas regulator, which should come in handy with the suppressor.  I only hope its up to the punishment..time will tell.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:55:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Gen 1. Had issues when I first took it to the range, sent it to SIG and they basically made the same modifications to it that gen2's have. No issues since.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Just picked it up:

The first thing I noticed was the pistol grip, it sucks!  The size is ok, but the problem is the pin at the bottom:

It rubs my bottom finger in a painful way..
Not only the pin, but also the hinge:

It sucks, but with gloves I can manage it until I find a replacement grip.
Then there's the selector switch, which rotates fine even when the weapon hasn't been charged. But the switch is just out of reach, forcing me to use my index finger on the other side.
Would be nice if it came with the classic 551 hand guards and iron sights, but over all, its a beautiful rifle:

Can't wait to try it out..
Anyone know the muzzle thread pitch?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone recommend a scope for the 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

First, congrats! I have a Gen II and its been awesome. I had a couple teething issues with it, but is now scarfs down Wolf and Tula out of Magpul's AK mags and/or surplus bulgarian mags without a hicup. I got mine for an outstanding price and am very happy with it, but I know the first gen were troublesome, mainly because of the lack of steel support in the magwell. As for optics, mine came with a sig-branded 3X illuminated optic which, based on the glass and general construction, is probably in the same quality level as a Primary Arms. It's pretty good, but clearly not a mil-grade part. I don't think you can go wrong with an Aimpoint or Eotech, but you can easily get away with a PA red dot or a Burris AR-132. If you want some magnification, look at the Burris AR-332 or the newer PA offerings as both have decent glass and nicely etched reticules. You can also add a front sight from Samson.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow they come in a cardboard box now, all my Sig rifles came in the blue hard plastic Sig Logo cases.

Acog TA31 if you want x4 power

Aimpoint T1/T2 or PRO, for a straight up red dot

Eotech EXPS series, Holographic

Mepro M21 for a Reflex

All are mil quality.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have read articles about gen-1 models having problems. I have a gen-2 and have had zero problems with the 500 plus rounds of mixed ammo I've run throught it so far.

Some magazines fit perfectly and some I have to modify with a Dreml tool. I bought some gen-1 magpuls not long ago that were on sale and none of them would fit properly. I contacted Magpul and they said to modify as needed and they should work fine. I did and they do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Browe, ACOG.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#22]
i also have the sig 556r gen 2 and it has worked flawlessly for me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#23]
You should get the new Hogue Sig 556 pistol grip. It does wonders for comfort and using the safety. I run it on both my 556 SBR and my 556R.

Quoted:
View Quote

Some of the recommendations kinda suck, IMHO. WAY too high for this rifle. You want an optic that's mounted low, such as:
1. Aimpoint PRO with AD-68L mount.
2. Primary Arms 4x ACSS prism scope w/ removable riser.
3. 1-4x scope on Leupold QRW medium rings

I go with option 3 on my 556R, using the PFI RR-Evolution 1-4x scope. Don't be scared off by TTAG's really flawed review - in real life usage, it's a good scope for the money. Otherwise, you should be GTG with any mil/moa scope, or anything with .300AAC supersonic or 7.62x39 BDC.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I installed the flash hider and yes, it rings like a bell...

With the can:

Everything is nice and tight:

I'm going to have to get a 5.56 gas regulator (I'm told the gas holes are smaller) to keep the gas volume in the receiver down (at least try).  
I haven't made up my mind about a scope yet, I'll look at the Burris as someone suggested and also the PFI RR-Evolution (which sounds interesting).
I'll like to have real Swiss iron sight welded on (Love the look of the classic sig), so I'm not sure what that will do to the height of the scope and if it would be ridiculously high.
But I like the way this rifle is going and I can't believe Sig discounted it...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You should get the new Hogue Sig 556 pistol grip. It does wonders for comfort and using the safety. I run it on both my 556 SBR and my 556R.

Some of the recommendations kinda suck, IMHO. WAY too high for this rifle. You want an optic that's mounted low, such as:

I go with option 3 on my 556R, using the PFI RR-Evolution 1-4x scope. Don't be scared off by TTAG's really flawed review - in real life usage, it's a good scope for the money. Otherwise, you should be GTG with any mil/moa scope, or anything with .300AAC supersonic or 7.62x39 BDC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info on the Hogue grip, I like to look of them (w/o the finger grooves).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Front sight recommendation here:

http://mfiap.com/i-14389262-mfi-sig-classic-556-556-r-550-1-2-front-flip-up-folding-sight-windage-adjustment-wheel-see-instructions-for-installation.html
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even a close option to the TA-33 ACOG on 7.62x39

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've been looking at it, very nice and maybe the way to go if I can find a very, very good deal on one...did I say very?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to get a 5.56 gas regulator (I'm told the gas holes are smaller) to keep the gas volume in the receiver down (at least try).  
I haven't made up my mind about a scope yet, I'll look at the Burris as someone suggested and also the PFI RR-Evolution (which sounds interesting).
I'll like to have real Swiss iron sight welded on (Love the look of the classic sig), so I'm not sure what that will do to the height of the scope and if it would be ridiculously high.
But I like the way this rifle is going and I can't believe Sig discounted it...
View Quote

My understanding is SIG had to enlarge them to overcome cycling problems from Gen 1 556R..... check out this locked thread for more info.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_45/439546_Sig_556_Improved_Gas_Valves.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top