Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2015 2:54:16 AM EDT
I'd like to see a list of every problem, quirk, or wish you might have for a rifle.

Examples,

Reliability issues:

Blown primer stuck in fcg made the rifle non-functional

Blown primer stuck in the barrel extension prevented the bolt from closing

Unable to get enough grip on charging handle to remove stuck round, had to use cleaning rod.

Functional Issues:

Recoil mechanism in receiver extension that prevents side folding stocks.

Lack of Last round hold-open

Lack of bolt-release
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'd like to see a list of every problem, quirk, or wish you might have for a rifle.

Examples,

Reliability issues:
Blown primer stuck in fcg made the rifle non-functional
Blown primer stuck in the barrel extension prevented the bolt from closing
Unable to get enough grip on charging handle to remove stuck round, had to use cleaning rod.

Functional Issues:
Recoil mechanism in receiver extension that prevents side folding stocks.
Lack of Last round hold-open
Lack of bolt-release
View Quote

broken in half ak brass rear end somehow got into the action behind the bolt. Rifle shot fine, it popped out when I cleaned it, I presume the front half of the case stuck to the next round and was ejected with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a primer end up behind my gas key. That jammed my shit up pretty hard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
out of battery fire in a fal, squib in a 45-70, and a separated case in an ar, an sks that wasn't de cosmolined right and needed kicked down on the bolt handle to clear, once clean no problem..  that's it for rifles all other problems were mag related

now pistols a whole different world.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Separated casehead in a FAL. Broke the fireing pin stop on a 1911 once. That's about it other than mag issues with various guns over the years.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Oly 9mm AR: would double and triple occasionally.  Sent it back and they fixed it.  I never got the word on what the cause was, but it was in the upper, whatever it was... maybe slamfire.

J&T AR: gas key screw head broke off.  Discovered it while cleaning.

National Ordnance M1 carbine: chamber was so worn that the ejected brass looked pregnant.  Fixed with another barrel.

Ruger 10/22 .17: out of battery discharge blowing pieces of the case out of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#6]
22lr case separation / out of battery detonation in a 10/22 (shit ammo).... they wont blow your gun up, but will wake you up especially if you are shooting suppressed with no ear pro

Entire 5.45 round (trying to eject round slowly + shaking) and a spent case (normal shooting) have ended up behind the bolt in an ak74.  The former jammed it up something special as when I tried to rack it (not realizing what happened), the round somehow bent/wedged and caused the BCG to seize in full rearward position. Required gun in vice + large mallet to the takedown lug to get the fully compressed spring to move enough to get the dustcover off (and it went flying when it did!).
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Carbon 15, sheared the bolt in half in the first 3 rounds. Replacement bolt was sent out from the factory, extractor sheared and it doubled. Returned rifle for a refund minus a 10% restocking fee.

Old Squires Bingham .22 I got for $40, looked as though it had never been cleaned. Took it apart and cleaned it, never shot right again. Sometimes it would fire when charged. Other times it would go off when you clicked off the safety. Or you could slap the stock and it would fire if the safety was off. I ended up trading it for a 12 pack of Killian's Irish Red. I gave the guy an honest opinion that the gun should never be loaded again. He ended up using the rifle as a decoy for burglars.

AdCom 5.56mm ammo loaded so hot that it blew primers into the fire controls. One ended up lodging under the trigger bar and siezed up the gun, with a live round in the chamber. Only gun that would rund the ammo was an Oly AR pistol with a 6.5 inch barrel.

Many others, but those stick out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
1894; keyholed everything you fed it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Gen 4 MSAR STG-556:

A. Broken factory bolts after 2K rounds approx. Fixed with ratworx hybrid bolt. Fine ever since

B. Case separation using ONLY XM193 no other brass ammo has given me this problem. Extractor will rip a case in half right at the annealing process and leave the top half in the chamber.

That's it.

Mags lock in place with an audible "click".

Charging handle is in a good spot.

Does have last round bolt hold open, release lever is good also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#10]
instructions unclear: dick stuck in ceiling fan
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Cetme Sporter... 20rd mags wouldn't lock in without filing.  Would not fire, headspacing issues I'd guess.

Jaeger .22LR M16 clone - broke firing pin. New one custom made.

Mossberg 500A - super old, put together from random parts, both extractors on bolt were right-side hook type, would not eject shells/casings; I dremel'd off the hook to a 45 degree angle.

DPMS Classic 16 - brand new, factory gun; even with iron sights maxed out, would not adjust enough to hit POA. Back to factory, loose barrel nut or extension. Gun sounded like scraping stone when charging.

Oly Centurion 15 - slam fired badly. Traded back in.

CAI AK74 sporter - rivet fell out from front trunion.

Waffen Werks AK74 - Came finished with GunKote that would scrap off like a rubber sealent. Sent off for duracoat.

Saiga 12 - was unconverted. To fix: converted it.

Charles Daly 12ga - spent casings hung in the ejection port, traded in.

Mossberg 590 - damaged mag tube caused follower to stick after X amount loaded in. Safety stuck bad until broke in half, missing bearing. Replaced mag tub and alum safety switch.

PSL54C - bolt would hold open when firing. Magazine springs were backwards inside.

Rem 700 SPS Tactical - Xmark Pro trigger doesn't really adjust for break weight whatsoever.

FEG+TGI AMD65 - won't fit new commercial Bulgy poly mags. Finish is a crap paint. Folding stock release button is very hard to depress. Tapco galil-type handguard was custom fitted by me, but loose as hell.

AR15 build - Mostly Seekins parts. Rails are too big to accept slide on and bolt type accesories (Nikon M223 scope mount for one).

AR15 SPR type build - Wilson Combat barrel and YHM gas block and upper. overgassed like crazy. Installed Seekins adj block

I'm sure there's more.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep it coming, its amazing how many of these I've seen happen myself with the exact same guns.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]
SKS:
Stove pipe from a weak extractor spring

AR15:
Failure to strip a round from the mag.  Found out I had a bad buffer that was not pinned and coming apart

Stuck case from Tula ammo.  Clearly an ammo issue

Hammer and trigger seized up during firing.  I was able to get to work again, but have not been able to replicate the problem.  I'm still trying to diagnose the problem.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
AR-15:  broken hammer pins on a couple from shooting .22 and 9mm (i.e., blowback stuff).  KNS pins - no more acky breaky hammer pins.  A couple of Fail To Extract issues.  O-ring over the extractor spring - extracts just fine.  Now the o-ring goes in whether it needs one or not.

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:21:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

AR-15:  broken hammer pins on a couple from shooting .22 and 9mm (i.e., blowback stuff).  KNS pins - no more acky breaky hammer pins.  A couple of Fail To Extract issues.  O-ring over the extractor spring - extracts just fine.  Now the o-ring goes in whether it needs one or not.

View Quote

Do you really think it was the .22 that caused it? Maybe just the 9mm?

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I shot both .22 and 9mm in both rifles and others have reported hammer pin breakage from shooting either/or of both .22 and 9mm, I'm thinking both (or any non-delayed blowback caliber for that matter) was/(will be) the problem.  I have a ramped 9mm bolt and round head hammers in both rifles.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Sadly my only new gun issue ever was a gun I bought, never shot and sold to my best friend.  I took him to the range as it was his first gun and it FELL apart in his hands....  Was a extremely early Kahr P-45..  The frame was molded all wrong and they replaced the frame for free and pretty quickly...  My re-manufactured Sig 232 had issues at first but it was a worn spring and runs like a champ now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Got an Enfield, Mark 2.  nice gun, i did a bit of polishing, powder-coated the magazine.
Then she key-holed every thing i shot.

Upon further investigation, the two grooves are picky.  I found some OLD surplus 303 and she shot like a dream.
Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#19]
SKS's running as single shot only....... gotta get the cosmoline out of the gas tube!!.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I think my most reoccurring problem across several firearms is failure to feed the first round from a newly inserted mag.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Surely people have had as much trouble as me??

Short lists so far...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Surely people have had as much trouble as me??

Short lists so far...
View Quote

I missed a target once.

I did have a improperly heat treated  bolt catch break once.

Spoke with company, they replaced immediately.  Determined it was a bad batch of bolt catches.

No problem for 10 yrs w/ replacement.

Txl

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
M-1 carbines:  Couldn't get them to run to save my life.  But I think the main problem was I bought op slide springs from fulton and it turned out they weren't up to snuff.  Still too short.  Took me a long time to figure it out and still haven't tested.  But I still had to rebuild bolts a couple of times.  They seem dainty.  

AR's.  When I first started shooting AR's, I used crappy mags and one time I got a double feed that was pretty messed up and someone helped me get it untangled.  He took a screwdriver and bent the crap out of the round that was stuck.  I wish I had a camera back then.  After that my AR's have run, except one time I think a stone got caught in the buffer tube and it locked one up once.   Another thing is both Colt barrels I've owned suffered terrible POI shifts from one type of ammo to the next.  Enough that it is annoying and makes you only want to shoot one kind of ammo through it.   Which is irritating to me because it's not always feasible for me to have one load stacked high and deep.  Although I have a small stash of q3131 and q3131a.  Among a whole bunch of other loads.  

Colt Detective Special:  out of time after what seems to be not a lot of rounds.  My Dad has owned it since it was new and it didn't get shot a lot.  

Browning HiPower.  Fails the click test.  Meaning the sear isn't engaging the hammer like it should.  Under 2K rounds shot through it.

Colt Huntsman starting ftf a lot.  Needed a new firing pin.  But that one appears to have had a metric ton of rounds through it.  It was my Great Grandpa's competition gun for bullseye.  Is still probably the most accurate pistol I have though.

I bunged up the escucheon on a Kimber 1911 when changing grips.  Probably my fault.  

CMP Garand op rod rubbed on the stock when I first got it and didn't always pick up the next round.  Fixed it and it runs like a top.

Springfield 1911 milspec shot low and I put a taller rear sight on it.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Remembered another Puma in 45LC, ran out of sight adjustment - way out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top