Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2015 8:40:45 PM EDT
So with the refund season in full swing,I've decided to sell one of my AR's and between the two, upgrade to another 5.56 rifle.It seems like everyone and their sister has an AR and ive always been about being different. But I cant seem to make up my mind as to what I want to buy. Right now i'm really interested in two rifles, an IWI Tavor and the Sig 556xi. The only real requirement I have is that I want something that's fully ambidextrous, because of the fact that I have grown up shooting right handed, but I am left eye dominant and would like to be proficient from either side of the gun. Although I'd like to keep the budget down, I want to make sure I get something ill be happy with for years to come, the tavor being at the max price point I wanna spend. Ive wanted a 556 for a while and the XI seems like a more ergonomic and revised version, but the Tavors are just sweet!. Which one would you guys choose, keeping money in mind? Or should I get something else, and what? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my Tavor and i've handled the XI and i liked it. However there have been a myriad of issues reported with the XI so if you get one you may want to make sure you purchase from somewhere with a good return policy. The tavor can be converted to shoot lefty but I wouldn't say it's fully ambi unless you spend some time converting it. Have you considered the ARX100?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sig Xi is a turd. Get literally anything else, even a Hi Point carbine is > Sig Xi.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Hows about one of these?

Mossberg 5.56 bolt action rifle....
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Tavor is a great rifle but it sounds like the ARX 100 meets your needs better and is much cheaper than the Tavor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Have both the ARX and Tavor, just got a second ARX
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
ARX would be fun. I've been eyeballing Serbu's new upper as well. $800 introductory price. Non reciprocating charging handle and no buffer tube either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, you should be different, like most of the Bullpup forum, and get a Tavor.
But if you want it to be ambidextrous AND a bullpup, the FS2000 is probably the logical choice.
I went with the AUG A3 for my top bullpup pick, but I have a F2000 coming, so hopefully I'll enjoy it thoroughly. (I couldn't pass it up for $1100 shipped). One time a few years ago, I had fired a guy's FS2000 at a range, and I liked the AUG better.
I have fired my AUG LH (with the RH bolt installed) like a guy on YouTube demonstrated, by tilting the ejection port towards the ground. It's not ideal or anything, but it does work. A balaclava can help (to prevent brass going down your collar. I lucked out though). They sell some aftermarket case deflectors as well, but I haven't tried one. I'm not a fan of add-on plastic protrusions.
There is talk of a semi-auto Tavor X95 release a year (+) out.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have both the ARX and Tavor, just got a second ARX
View Quote

I held a Tavor, and it's comfortable to me. But I like my ARX for the versatility.

I vote ARX. It's a nice rifle. I'm sad because I'm moving soon and due to all that hoo-hah, I haven't been able to go out and shoot it yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Tavor intrigues me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't really considered an ARX. I handled one at a LGS for a minute and I just wasn't impressed. Too much plastic for me, and I think it just looks terrible.  I've considered an FS200 as well as an AUG, but can't seem to find them less than 1800-1900 and the Tavors already more than I'd like to spend. I would definitely want the NATO version AUG if I got one. Even though it's not full ambi, I'm considering an older 556 as well since I've always liked them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Cracks me up that someone interested in the FS2000 would think the ARX is unattractive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, it was dubbed the "tactical tuna" for a reason. lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Tavor.

I would like to recommend the sig but I have heard too many bad reviews. Too bad because it looks nice and it's certainly an interesting concept.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
FS2000 is interesting, but is really a novelty rifle and not one I would want to shoot a whole lot due to the expense of spare parts and the fact that it is currently out of production.  FN is not good at supporting out of production firearms.....just ask any FNC owner how easy it is to get spare parts or service from FN.  IMO the FS2000 is an interesting collectible and not a great rifle to have as a frequent shooter.  The mag well is overly tight.  Malfunction drills are overly complicated due to the ejection design.

I would absolutely not buy the Sig 556xi, but I am admittedly very much against anything produced in by SigSauer USA in Exeter.  Their quality control/quality assurance has sucked for quite sometime.  And there have already been reports of issues with the 556xi, both 5.56 and 7.62x39.  If this platform interests you, I would give it more time to ensure you aren't an early adopter and to see if the platform ends up being all that has been promised.  I want it to be a good platform, I just don't trust SigSauer USA.

Tavor seems like a cool rifle.  I've not fired one yet, have only held one at a friend's shop.  It is on my short list of items to buy.  Not truly ambidextrous, but a neat design that appears to be potentially usable when fired off-hand due to the location of the ejection port. The lack of spare parts is concerning to me.  IWI has said they are releasing parts, but this has yet to occur.  

The Beretta ARX100 I think is a very interesting design.  Beretta has released spare parts through Brownell's, so you could conceivably stock up on them now. It is also on my short list of items to buy.

The Steyr AUG is hands down one of my favorite platforms other than the AR15/M16.  It is compact, highly modular, has an ingenious quick change barrel design, and is very easy to shoot.  Spare parts are widely available through many vendors, including Steyr USA.  Parts were available continuously from the 80s on through Pete Athens.  And if you ever get the wild hair and an extra $18k, you can add a registered AUG sear pack to run it full auto.  :)
Are you intent on buying a 5.56mm platform?  The SCAR series is very nice and if buying one, I would go for the 17s.  Spare parts are available, albeit expensive, and the 17s is the lightest 308 I've ever handled.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm also interested in an AUG, but no shops around here carry them and ive never handled one. I'd just really like to stay under $1500 right now as well. I did see this deal at CDNN which looked pretty good http://www.cdnnsports.com/steyr-aug-a3-223-16-nato-stock-f-t-3-30rd-2-40rd.html#.VM7jiGjF_sY. I haven't seen any Microtech MSARs at all recently or I would be looking at them as well.  I'm not sure how to edit the poll, or id include a few more options. Does anyone have any opinions on the older 556's? As it seems the XI is regarded very highly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I am not personally big on bull pups. I am more conventional. I think I would pass on the SIG 556xi. I do have a 556C, 556P and 556R so I like the 556, but after many years of hating the AR-15 in all its variations, I have changed my mind. I now have a few ARs and would recommend anyone determine the configuration they would like and built, with whatever help necessary, their own AR. I am having fun building my own now. For my usage they are as reliable as the AK based SIG 556s and more accurate.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am not personally big on bull pups. I am more conventional. I think I would pass on the SIG 556xi. I do have a 556C, 556P and 556R so I like the 556, but after many years of hating the AR-15 in all its variations, I have changed my mind. I now have a few ARs and would recommend anyone determine the configuration they would like and built, with whatever help necessary, their own AR. I am having fun building my own now. For my usage they are as reliable as the AK based SIG 556s and more accurate.
View Quote

Thats another reason I had been leaning towards a 556. 'm not really sure if I would like a bullpup or not, not to mention im a little old school I guess. Ive never really had an oppurtunity to shoot one except for the KSG I had.  Can you provide any insight on the original 556 series?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tavor is a great rifle but it sounds like the ARX 100 meets your needs better and is much cheaper than the Tavor.
View Quote

I'm seeing the ARX100 as about $1500-1600 and tavors at $1700. Where are you seeing ARX's way cheaper?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#19]
There was one on the EE last night brand new in box for sale by manticore arms for $1350.... just saying, was so tempted, especially because Sven is a good dude
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There was one on the EE last night brand new in box for sale by manticore arms for $1350.... just saying, was so tempted, especially because Sven is a good dude
View Quote

I saw that myself, too bad deals like that dont happen every day...
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One sold on GB for $1300 at the end of last month.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quality AR15 piston
Scar
Aug that takes AR mags
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thats another reason I had been leaning towards a 556. 'm not really sure if I would like a bullpup or not, not to mention im a little old school I guess. Ive never really had an oppurtunity to shoot one except for the KSG I had.  Can you provide any insight on the original 556 series?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SIG 556 is the Americanized version of the SIG 550. It is based on the AK-47 design. It has the AK 2 lug bolt and gas piston. I have weighed bolt/op rod groups and the SIG is slightly heavier. That should permits reliability in adverse condition. In the real world, for most of us, does it matter? Probably not, but it does make things interesting.

I first fired the M-16 about 40 yes. ago while in the Marine Corps. I was unimpressed. Now 40 yes later, with 40 yes. of development, I find myself more favorably inclined.

Which you choose is just a matter of personal preference. They use the same ammo and mags, so they are pretty well interchangeable.

Comparing my 556s to my ARs, both are completely reliable, have similar weight, but the ARs are a bit more accurate.
Any help?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#24]
AUG
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The SIG 556 is the Americanized version of the SIG 550. It is based on the AK-47 design. It has the AK 2 lug bolt and gas piston. I have weighed bolt/op rod groups and the SIG is slightly heavier. That should permits reliability in adverse condition. In the real world, for most of us, does it matter? Probably not, but it does make things interesting.

I first fired the M-16 about 40 yes. ago while in the Marine Corps. I was unimpressed. Now 40 yes later, with 40 yes. of development, I find myself more favorably inclined.

Which you choose is just a matter of personal preference. They use the same ammo and mags, so they are pretty well interchangeable.

Comparing my 556s to my ARs, both are completely reliable, have similar weight, but the ARs are a bit more accurate.
Any help?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any help?

Yes, thanks. For cost and pure like ability, I'm leaning towards picking up a new 556 patrol before there gone from the wild. That way I avoid the problems of the new XI as well as fill the curiosity I've had about them. The lastest ones have ambidextrous controls too which I want too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, thanks. For cost and pure like ability, I'm leaning towards picking up a new 556 patrol before there gone from the wild. That way I avoid the problems of the new XI as well as fill the curiosity I've had about them. The lastest ones have ambidextrous controls too which I want too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any help?

I think only the Xi has ambi controls. If you have a lot of money, you can always buy the real deal 553 pistol and SBR it. If you have a few thousand to spare.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Just FYI Sven has the ARX100 up again for $1299 (i am in no way affiliated I want it badly but personal items come first for me right now, so someone else mays well get in on a good deal).
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Im a lefty, right eye dominate.  I had an Aug and sold it.  I had s Tavor, and sold it.  I now have an ARX, and Im keeping it.  Its funny looking, kinda like a swordfish, but I love it.  Totally Ambi too!
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Also crazy light. My 9.5" ARX weighs just a couple oz over 6lbs, and that's with the heavy barrel under the handguard. I could get it well under 6lb if I reprofiled the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I stopped by a LGS shop today that had an ARX. Man, im not sure why so many people like them. Felt like a toy to me, almost cheap, too much plastic and just didnt excite me at all. I couldnt justify spending that kind of money on the Beretta, wasnt impressed...
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I stopped by a LGS shop today that had an ARX. Man, im not sure why so many people like them. Felt like a toy to me, almost cheap, too much plastic and just didnt excite me at all. I couldnt justify spending that kind of money on the Beretta, wasnt impressed...
View Quote

Everyone can have their own opinion I don't mind have plasticy rifles but I agree the arx can feel cheapish. Having said that the op wanted a truly ambi rifle and the arx is probably the closest thing to that on the market right now in terms of quick change options. I personally use my tavor for everything I do these days but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Everyone can have their own opinion I don't mind have plasticy rifles but I agree the arx can feel cheapish. Having said that the op wanted a truly ambi rifle and the arx is probably the closest thing to that on the market right now in terms of quick change options. I personally use my tavor for everything I do these days but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, to each his own, I'm a bit old school I guess you could say though too. I just wish I could find somewhere that has a Tavor or an AUG...
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#33]
SR15 E3
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Ar-70 ftw!

Love mine....
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ar-70 ftw!
Love mine....
View Quote

That and an FN FNC would be nice, just not for my wallet...
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#36]
You can get an AR-70 for the price of a Tavor or less...  it's a kit gun but hey..mine is and runs like a top....

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Gotta say Tavor. I don't like SIG
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Either Tavor or AUG. I have a TPD AXR (AUG clone a/NATO stock) and a Tavor. I like them both a lot. Both handle great. The AUG doesn't really make the cut as far as being ambi. Tavor can be utilized that way. If the FS2000 and parts were still readily available I'd say get one. Fits your needs well. Most people that have them, like them a lot. I sure do. It's a shame FN didn't do more with it. It's really under rated. But if you didn't care for the ARX you might not have like the FS2000.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I would not even consider the 556Xi

My top two would be the Tavor or ARX100

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:40:09 AM EDT
[#40]
ARX100 fits your needs best OP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meh. People said that about Glocks in 1984. By 2004 you could hardly find a pistol that wasn't made of polymer. In 2035 every rifle will look like the ARX, and people will look on you like we look on the guys from 1984 who said plastic pistols felt too cheap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#42]
ARX is $1195 at Botach...
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Meh. People said that about Glocks in 1984. By 2004 you could hardly find a pistol that wasn't made of polymer. In 2035 every rifle will look like the ARX, and people will look on you like we look on the guys from 1984 who said plastic pistols felt too cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure your right, but the ARX just isn't for me. Plastics have come a long way in 20 years as well, and I'm sure they'll continue to get better. I'm not a Glock fan either if that says anything lol, just gotta be different...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top