BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only high dollar scope I have is an ACOG.  

I took my scope collection out one evening as it was getting dark.  I spent about 1hr or so and came to the conclusion it doesn't really matter much to my eye.  
Leupold VX1 3-9x40
Leupold AR 6-18x40
Burris E1 4-12x42
Burris XTR 1-4x24
Bushnell Elite 4200 1-6x36
Redfield Revenge 3-9x40
20 year old Pentax (made by burris in the US) 0-4x24
Sightron 4-12x40
ACOG - won this in a give away (thanks again Trijicon)

The most important thing to a scope to me is its ability to hold zero.  Low light gathering is next.
View Quote

I thought it was the glass/lens quality that was the most important factor. I have looked through cheap Chinese 60x spotting scopes and you cant see 308 holes at 200 yards. Then I have looked a the same holes with 40x quality Jap glass and you can see the holes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most of my scopes fall into the $300 - $600 range.  That is where I get the features I am looking for with a quality level I am comfortable with.  Works for me.
View Quote

Me too.  My most expensive scope (just got it) is a Vortex HST 6-24X50mm I got a screaming deal on at under $500 new, prior to that $250-$350 Nikon and Burris scopes.

I will say my favorite optic so far is the Burris FullField 2-7X. I was digging in my safe the other day and realized I have 3 of them now on rifles.  

Years ago I bought a $45 Tasco scope of some for a 22LR. It was okay for what I was doing with it, but I upgraded it as the glass was pretty bad at times, fogged up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Many times sellers will change out quality optics for cheaper scopes before selling their rifle. Most dealers don't pay premium prices for good quality used scopes attached to a rifle they are buying. I imagine a lot of Dealers switch out scopes before selling used rifles, too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Curious if people have any thoughts on why so many good quality rifles that are sold used have such cheap scopes mounted on them?  Is it that people don't understand or don't care about quality optics?
View Quote

Wal-Mart.

No, seriously, sorta.   One of the big reasons people haven't realized just how much inflation we've had - aside from the gov't monkeying with the numbers - is the fact that they keep paying the same prices for cheaper and cheaper made-in-China crap from places like Wal-Mart.

People don't know the value of the dollar anymore, and they're not educated enough to understand what it is they're buying.    Here is a couple of hints for people:

- If you even bother looking at the price tag on something, then you're not spending anywhere near enough money to be "paying extra for a name".
- You might not get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for.

Combine this with people who are really only buying firearms as toys to show off to their friends, and you get all sorts of silliness.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Same reason they'll put a $700 pistol in a $30 holster and run $10 mags.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Cut me some slack Jack.
I have the premium barrel/bolt and trigger.
I'm putting money in the slush fund for a scope upgrade but It's gonna take time.

I'm not sure if I can wring much more accuracy from AR#4 with either scope.
That's a Bushnell Elite 10x or the TRS-1 for those keeping score.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Many times sellers will change out quality optics for cheaper scopes before selling their rifle. Most dealers don't pay premium prices for good quality used scopes attached to a rifle they are buying. I imagine a lot of Dealers switch out scopes before selling used rifles, too.
View Quote

That's something I hadn't thought of.  Could explain why a fair number of used rifles I see on Gunbroker come with a Tasco or Simmons 3-9x. But I have personally purchased two rifles in the past year that were fairly nice guns but came with mounted with a bottom line Simmons.  And I know these were sold in the same configuration that the owner's used the rifles.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
For many years I ran 10x Super Snipers ($299.95) on my AR-10s and an M-15 while a 20x (also $299.95) sat atop AR-50.

They all held zero and had very good light transmission and I could plink 3 ft steel targets at 1k and see the target easily, even late in the day.

The 20x stood up to the .50 quite nicely.

An acquaintance who is a former Marine Scout Sniper has shot them and says the glass is equivalent to the glass in some more expensive scopes.

The 10x and 20x Super Snipers have now been replaced by 3-15x Super Snipers ($699.95) and they are great.  I wanted variable and mil/mil so I sold all the old ones and bought the new ones.

The .50 is gone but I have a .300 WM in its place and the Super Sniper on it has held up quite well.

If I am not paying as much as some of you think I should, I can't help that, but they work well for me and I do shoot out further than 100 yards.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the vast majority of people do this because they just don't know any better or because their project suddenly goes grossly over budget..FWIW, I've also seen people get a decent scope and mount it with trashco rings. Or a decent setup ll around and then start putting the shittiest ammo they could find thru it and wonder why its not performing. I worked in a gun shop over a year so I saw some real doosies.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Use to hangout at a gunshop alot. The guy buying the rifle wouldn't have much left over and owner would sell them on an NCStar scope. They took his word for it and rarely had one returned. Whatever works for you I guess.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I have slowly added scopes to my rifles.

I have a Zeiss Victory on a Sako A7,
Leupold  M4 on my HS Precision RDR,
Kahles scope on an M1A,
Vortex Razor 2 HD on my Scar 17,
Zeiss Conquest on my Anshutz bolt action,
Leopold VX2 on a Thompson Contender 22 Classic semi auto.

Over time I  had $50 Tasco Pronghorns that served the purpose till I could afford the better optics.

It takes time to build the optics collection.

I use cheap red dots too, and slowly they will be replaced by more Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a $50 bushnell rimfire on my savage 22

I have the primary arms 4-14x44 on my x54r VEPR

I have an TA-33 on my PTR-32  

Pretty wide range of price
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]
this is a great question OP, sadly you will never get a good answer.........
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Little off topic, but this reminds me of something I ran across a couple years back.

Was looking at M1A's at the time, trying to see which model I wanted. I came across a thread where a guy bought a National Match M1A, and was asking if Wolf steel-cased ammo would shoot okay in it
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
this is a great question OP, sadly you will never get a good answer.........
View Quote

How about this question:

Why are so many people concerned with how others spend their money?

It's none of their business.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How about this question:

View Quote

And...we found a cheap scope user.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How about this question:

You didnt read the post, did you?

Are the 700 dollar scopes he uses now not good enough for you?    How much would you have to save on your optics before you have enough left over to buy a membership?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about this question:

Nope.  It's just none of your business how other people spend their money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are the 700 dollar scopes he uses now not good enough for you?    How much would you have to save on your optics before you have enough left over to buy a membership?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about this question:

I doubt he even read that, he's just being all edgy and shit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#20]
It was actually a failed attempt at sarcasm...but oh well.

Cheap scopes have their place, I wont even begin to argue that. What I do take issue with, however, are those who feel the need to justify their cheapness/brokeassedness by attempting to shame those who know what quality glass is. In the end, you are right, everyone has the right to spend their money on what they deem suitable. In turn, I have the right to make fun of them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have had a membership in the past, did not feel it was worth the money. I would much rather spend that on glass. Thanks, though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have had a membership in the past, did not feel it was worth the money. I would much rather spend that on glass. Thanks, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A little off topic, but how did you have a membership with a join date of 11/14 if you arent a retread?

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A little off topic, but how did you have a membership with a join date of 11/14 if you arent a retread?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have answered your own question.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Why do so many people buy tools at Harbor Freight?

Cost. The better scopes are extremely expensive.

If you could buy a Leupold of the same magnification, configuration and feature as a Barska for the same price, which would you take?

A Harbor Freight tool may be serviceable over the short term but it will not be optimal and would not be expected to have a similar service life as say a Snap-On. It will not be equivalent in fit and finish and will not be dimensioned as accurately.

Middle of the day with minimal shadows, good light, at 100 yards the difference might not be readily apparent.

Late in the day, near dusk, looking into shadows at 500 yards will be a very different story.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I have used a number of low end scopes for years and have had mixed results with them.

Simmons hunting scopes below the $400 mark have been hit or miss with many breaking over time.

Bushnel - never had good luck with the sub $300 mark

Redfield - they use to be good scopes , but the newer ones just plain suck

China no name - I have had good luck with some , like my old Colt type 4 x 20 that I had mounted on a fixed carry handle 20" for years. That thing didnt have the best eye relief , but it held zero and worked for plinking. I tried one of those 1337 FACOG 4x32 scopes and that thing has been a rock for under $200. I have dropped it and banged it around and it holds zero great. Sucky eye relief , but so is the ral acog. Now clarity is no where near an acog.

PA - I have a couple of PA redots that have been ok and I picked up a variable scope from them to try also. So time will tell on those.

As for the paying for what you get - yes I agree a real acog is much better as well as a leupold or similar high end scope for those needs. One day I will get a real ACOG , but for now im ok with the fake one.

And BTW i do have AIMPOINTS and other nicer stuff.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top