Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 11:34:58 AM EDT
I just picked up a Remington 700 from the mid '90s.  The rifle came with a pretty nice leather sling with brass fittings.  The leather feels a little dry and stiff and has some slight discoloration in places, but doesn't seem to be rotted.  Some areas near the brass fittings show a little green that I assume is from the brass. At first I was going to toss the sling, but then thought if a little work could recondition the sling it might be more interesting to keep a leather sling on a rifle with a nice wooden stock.  I have plenty of tactical nylon and fastex for the rest of my black rifles

So, any thoughts as to how I should proceed?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just picked up a Remington 700 from the mid '90s.  The rifle came with a pretty nice leather sling with brass fittings.  The leather feels a little dry and stiff and has some slight discoloration in places, but doesn't seem to be rotted.  Some areas near the brass fittings show a little green that I assume is from the brass. At first I was going to toss the sling, but then thought if a little work could recondition the sling it might be more interesting to keep a leather sling on a rifle with a nice wooden stock.  I have plenty of tactical nylon and fastex for the rest of my black rifles

View Quote

Neatsfoot Oil.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Bear Grease Leather Dressing
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neatsfoot Oil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Neatsfoot Oil.
That, or Skidmore leather cream.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  I'll see what's easiest to get my hands on and see if the old sling may have a new life.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
To keep my leather slings, holsters, belts, etc conditioned I use Galco leather lotion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Neetsfoot oil is used as a softening agent for disposable leather.  I would NEVER use it on leather which I cared about, or wished to keep and use for a long time.
View Quote

Yeah, no. Neatsfoot does not "harm" leather.

Neatsfoot oil will work fine, and there are a hundred other options. Not one of them will replace the natural oils that the animal's skin exuded, and thus the leather will degrade over time, no matter what you use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer Chamberlins Leathermilk.

Used on all saddleback products.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I ordered some Skidmore Leather Cream, and I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I ordered some Skidmore Leather Cream, and I'll give it a try.
View Quote
Can't remember if I posted this pic before, bit IRRC I took it for either this or another leather thread.

JIC I'll post it again.

The treated boot was just wiped in hard with a cloth.  

Fair warning, everything will be sticky for awhile after you treat it.  BUT, once you let it soak in, brushing and buffing will make everything look like a million bucks.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I work "Mink Oil" into the leather of my shooting slings.  Some of them are now 40 years old.  If the leather has split, it is beyond saving, but otherwise a good leather conditioning oil should revive it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Neetsfoot oil is used as a softening agent for disposable leather.  I would NEVER use it on leather which I cared about, or wished to keep and use for a long time.

View Quote

Leather deteriorates largely by four means:

Oxidation is most readily seen in very old dry leather, with surface cracking and flaking, and over-all weakness. Oxidation will eventually turn leather to dust. It is inhibited by a thorough impregnation with an inert dressing which coats the fibres. Leather items should not be sealed in a display case and forgotten - they must be kept full of dressing.

Chemical damage can be through the effect of ultraviolet light, ozone, acid from sulphurous and nitrous pollutants in the air, or through chemical action following treatment with tallow or neatsfoot oil compounds. Both oxidation and chemical damage occur faster at higher temperatures. Leather should be stored away from heat, and not needlessly exposed to sunlight.

Internal chafing or breaking of fibres occurs when dry leather is flexed. A lubricant is essential to allow the fibres to slide one against the other. Dry leather should not be flexed prior to thorough lubrication.

Abrasion can be external, from rubbing on the outside, or internal from dirt particles ground into the leather.

Handy link to original web page
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I work "Mink Oil" into the leather of my shooting slings.  Some of them are now 40 years old.  If the leather has split, it is beyond saving, but otherwise a good leather conditioning oil should revive it.
View Quote

I use the same.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, Mink Oil is magic juice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Read the info at the link provided by SteveOak above.  I was warned away from Neetsfoot oil long ago by a professional museum curator at the Army War College Museum at Carlisle Barracks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neatsfoot oil will work fine, and there are a hundred other options. Not one of them will replace the natural oils that the animal's skin exuded, and thus the leather will degrade over time, no matter what you use.

Read the info at the link provided by SteveOak above.  I was warned away from Neetsfoot oil long ago by a professional museum curator at the Army War College Museum at Carlisle Barracks.

Noted and I rescind my comment. Cheers.

Thanks, SteveOak.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This site, and particularly the Tech forums, are all about sharing knowledge, and learning.  I have learned a great deal here, thanks to posters who shared their knowledge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted and I rescind my comment. Cheers.

Thanks, SteveOak.

This site, and particularly the Tech forums, are all about sharing knowledge, and learning.  I have learned a great deal here, thanks to posters who shared their knowledge.

Indeed. I just ordered 32 oz. of Pecard's.  That will be a start. It'll take a week to clean all my boots and re-oil them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Skidmore Leather Cream worked like a charm.  I slowled worked it into the sling, basically applying it in two "coats".  I hung up the sling to let it sit for a few hours, then took a clean cotton cloth and rubbed it down, removing whatever excess was left on the surface (it wasn't much).  Amazing results.  The leather is now soft and flexible.  It doesn't look new, as it has some wear marks, but there are no splits/cracks, and I think it will give me years of good service.

I was so impressed I tried it out on a hatchet  sheath that was in very bad shape (it had been sitting in a garage for 15+ years).  I kept applying the Skidmore and it kept soaking it up.  The hatchet sheath has improved dramatically.  It has some cracks, and I don't think anything will ever fix it, but it started out as something I was going to toss and now I can get at least a few seasons of use from it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I prefer Pecard's Leather Dressing for good leather.  There are other quality leather products that help the leather, and do not harm it.

If your sling is cracked, it has been damaged, and there is nothing you can do to repair the cracks.  Gently apply the Pecard's oil or dressing without bending the sling too much, at least until the oil/dressing has penetrated the leather completely. Given such a soaking, you will need to wipe the sling down numerous times, waiting a few days between each wiping for excess oil to rise to the surface.  Eventually this tapers off, but it takes some time and a lot of wiping.
View Quote

I found this to be interesting, but I haven't tried it yet.     Pecard's military sling dressing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top