Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2015 10:47:06 AM EDT
Found a Old interarms bolt action locally for $200 its pretty rusty and beat up. It does however have a leopold scope on it that seems pretty clear but beat up also. Not sure what model but its a 3.5-10 and III something.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
What does the bore look like?  Which model and where was the rifle made?  I had an 'older' Interarms Mark X in 30-06 and that was one of the best shooting rifle I have owned.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it might be a Mark X, Made in Va. Also I don't own anything larger than my AR so this would get me into a larger caliber pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If it does not bother you to have an ugly gun, then yes, get it.  But if you are planning to send it out for Cerrocoat or something silly than no, its a money pit.  If the bore has rust in it than no.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand not putting much money into it but would cold blue and a refinishing the stock be a waste?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I like projects like that, but as stated if the bore is clean..  Is it surface rust or pitted badly?  I feel good restoring good older guns.. Like saving history.. I have a couple extremely old Ithaca model 37 LWs I will send out someday to have restored as there is no blueing left but not pitted.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you priced 25-06 ammo? Do you reload?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#7]
if the scope is a VXIII 3.5-10 in working condition it's worth the $200 all by itself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Project guns are just that, projects.  Some are fun and they all cost some money.  If the bore is good, then I would get it.  Several years ago I got a 'project' 338 WM in a model 70, had a good coating put on the metal parts, new stock, good glass and working on a good load.  That just goes along with the gun hobby that we all have.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand not putting much money into it but would cold blue and a refinishing the stock be a waste?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
That Mark X is a commercial copy of a Mauser 98. Great reliable bolt action in my book, every part of it is milled steel. As long as any damage is cosmetic in nature, it would be a decent rifle. If the rust is more than that, or the bore is not in good shape, then the rifle would be more trouble than it is worth.

I still think these are fine rifles, but if it needs a new barrel (which a gunsmith could change to 30-06 easily enough), then in my area I would keep looking. These older rifles are floating around gun shows and shops, and now and then I see ones in very good condition in the 400 to 500 range. If its below 400 and very good shape, I'd buy one. But unless you want it as working rifle, as-is, doing work on a rifle adds up fast.

My best find in recent years was $550 for a pristine FN Mauser commercial rifle from the 50's, with a $300 nikon scope on it. Super metal work and bluing, and very nice wood, except that it has a very thick glossy finish on the stock, the style back then I guess, but too "showy" looking for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd buy it. The scope alone is worth the price (and Leupold's service is second to none if there is anything wrong with it). .25-06 doesn't do much for me but clean it up, as long as the bore is fine, and it's a good truck beater/loaner/trade bait.

I'm a sucker for a project gun that needs saving
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree, but without pictures it is hard to evaluate and get excited by it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I would take a gamble on it for $200.  If the action is serviceable, I think you'd be money ahead.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Found a Old interarms bolt action locally for $200 its pretty rusty and beat up. It does however have a leopold scope on it that seems pretty clear but beat up also. Not sure what model but its a 3.5-10 and III something.
View Quote

Buy it, pull the scope. Clean it up as much as you can and sell the rifle.

Profit

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy it. If the barrel is shot, you still have a great scope and action.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy it. If the barrel is shot, you still have a great scope and action.
View Quote
This - sounds like a VX3 3.5-10X it's worth just for the scope.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I had the same gun. It was a tackdriver. If the bore looks good I would buy it for $200
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Leupold made the Vari-X III, VX-III and then the VX3 (newest).   From the sound of things, it's probably a Vari-X III.   If it isn't beat up too badly, it's probably worth $200.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top