Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2015 12:15:23 PM EDT
I wanted to purchase a antique(pre 1899?) Mosin Nagant. The problem is that I'm not seeing many for sale but I did find someone with a pre 1899 receiver, barrel, etc.

If I add a stock from a later rifle is it still considered an antique? Also, I've heard some pre 1899 were refurbished in the 30's or 40's. Does that affect the classification? I'm not sure if that means it has another date stamped on it.

Thanks,
Steven
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Adding a later stock will not change the classification, even if it is some super sniper synthetic crap. And refurbishment does not change the classification either. All that matters is when the receiver is dated. Once it is an Antique it will always be an antique so long as you don't tread into NFA territory and cut down the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. Adding a later stock will not change the classification, even if it is some super sniper synthetic crap. And refurbishment does not change the classification either. All that matters is when the receiver is dated. Once it is an Antique it will always be an antique so long as you don't tread into NFA territory and cut down the barrel.
View Quote

The true receiver date will be located under the rear tang. You must remove action from stock to see.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The true receiver date will be located under the rear tang. You must remove action from stock to see.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously? Pic of what you're talking about? Are all of the date stamped?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Seriously? Pic of what you're talking about? Are all of the date stamped?
View Quote

Underside of the tang, rear of the longer action screw

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Be prepared to pay a bit more. They usually sell for quite a bit more since no paperwork or FFL is involved. Shipped straight to your door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top