Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2014 3:00:38 PM EDT
If you have equal amount of mags and parts for both .

Which one would you choose if SHTF ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
SCAR
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
SCAR
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
scar
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
How is this even a question outside the realm of a video game?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]
HK91 ftw!

Love that gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HK91 ftw!

Love that gun.
View Quote

Scar is more accurate, lighter more ergonomic, and easier to mount optic .

So please share with us what does Hk-91 do better than scar ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK91 ftw!

Love that gun.

you asked.
you seemed to have your mind made up. Hk91 has seen a lot more action. A battle proven rifle.
I vote for both.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
SCAR
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Both rifles are reliable and would work fine for that purpose, but the SCAR is without question the more practical rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK91 ftw!

Love that gun.

Didn't actually say it was better, just that I loved it :-)

As much as I would like a SCAR, I already own a 91 and wouldn't want to ever part with it (hence my "love that gun" statement).
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
There is absolutely no question ..........

H&K 91

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As much as I would like a SCAR, I already own a 91 and wouldn't want to ever part with it (hence my "love that gun" statement).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK91 ftw!

Love that gun.

I would not trade either one of my H&K 91's for two Scars.

As far as accuracy goes ..... I have not missed anything I aimed the H&K towards.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK91 ftw!

Love that gun.

Are they more accurate? I would like to see that side by side. The HK is also far more proven. Once you put a rail on the HK optics go on easily and the rail takes all of 15 minutes to put on.

The Scar is certainly lighter and more ergonomic and you dont have to rock the mags in.

I would probably choose the Scar but the 91 is a solid rifle and I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
HK91.

While you might have spare parts for both rifles, if/when those parts wear out you'll still be able to find HK/G3 parts elsewhere. Not so with the SCAR.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
SCAR, hands down.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
HK91.

While you might have spare parts for both rifles, if/when those parts wear out you'll still be able to find HK/G3 parts elsewhere. Not so with the SCAR.
View Quote

^^ This^^ 91 for the win
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a large believer in squeezing every bit of performance out of a cartridge. So a vote for the '91 here, with it's 18-20" barrel.

If longer barrels were readily available for the SCAR, it'd be a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#18]
traded my 91 for a 17
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HK91.

View Quote

If this is a SHTF scenario, I'm not sure you'd find HK parts "everywhere".  There are some specialized HK vendors, but unless you happen to live near one or you can still get UPS or FedEx after the apocalypse, you probably aren't goint to find many HK parts lying around.  Still, the chances that you'll find HK parts are slightly higher than finding SCAR parts, but both pale to being able to find AR parts.  Of the HK91 or SCAR, I'd probably take the SCAR mainly because it's lighter to carry around.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If this is a SHTF scenario, I'm not sure you'd find HK parts "everywhere".  There are some specialized HK vendors, but unless you happen to live near one or you can still get UPS or FedEx after the apocalypse, you probably aren't goint to find many HK parts lying around.  Still, the chances that you'll find HK parts are slightly higher than finding SCAR parts, but both pale to being able to find AR parts.  Of the HK91 or SCAR, I'd probably take the SCAR mainly because it's lighter to carry around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK91.

There are probably 1000 times as many 91 variants as Scars out there. Maybe not the case in another 10 years but I bet it outnumbers it greatly. One of those times I wish that data was easily available.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK91.

Not just in the US, but all over the world. The HK91 and G3 can be found pretty much everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#22]
scar.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:05:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Hard question.  Love both.

The hK is simple.  

The scar is light and has rails.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:07:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Ergonomically the SCAR, for simplicity and reliability the HK91.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Until SCAR 17s become more numerous, I'll stick with the HK91.

Would love to see Magpul make a lower for AR10 and or G3 mags as well as a stock.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#26]
It's telling that, with those countries that had an option, the G3 was second string; Rhodesia and Portugal being two obvious examples. The G3's well on is way out in Germany and Scandinavia. It's not at all a bad rifle, but newer and better things have surpassed it, as is the normal progression.

On the subject of spare parts: How many spares does an individual rifle need? A bag of small parts with a couple sets of each part could keep a rifle going as far as it can. Granted, SCAR spares would probably be more expensive due to most parts going toward complete rifles, but that's offset by the rifle's lighter weight and far superior modularity.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#27]
As an owner of both a SCAR and HK91, if it came to SHTF I would grab the SCAR first.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#28]
SCAR 17 FTW.  SCAR17 is lighter, cleaner, more accurate, adjustable stock, has better controls and is much easier to mount optics than HK91 which can be modified to do all things - but not as well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]
HK91, but only if it had the paddle mag release installed. It's got a proven track record and is battle proven with a heritage that goes back to World War Two.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#30]
When I was a teenager I bought into the cool HK advertising in the gun rags of the 80s.  My older relative had a HK 93 and I thought it ruled the 5.56 world of MSRs.  Later in life after I got out of the Marines I was able to get some trigger a buddy's 91 and 93.  That platform basically sucks IMHO.  I would take a SCAR for all of the reasons mentioned above.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Scar

The g3 has an 18 inch barrel and the scar in civ version has a 16 inch barrel. Some fool will state that is a big difference.

In reality it is a loss of at most 50 fps. Not something anyone would worry about.

Parts avail of g3 is not a real issue. If it was get a fal
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Had both, only have the SCAR 17 now
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I have both, and the Scar gets the nod!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#35]
If SCARs drop down to about $2200 or less (yeah right) OR if G3 mags somehow hike up to about $20 or more soon, then get the SCAR. Otherwise get a G3 and have a proper magazine release (i.e. the military paddle type) installed by a competent smith.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#36]
My vote goes to my 91 since it can do more tricks...with my registered sear and .22 conversion kit that is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I would choose the HK91 (preferably a G3 through); however, I would choose a MP5A3 over either of the option listed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

you asked.
you seemed to have your mind made up. Hk91 has seen a lot more action. A battle proven rifle.
I vote for both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK91 ftw!

Love that gun.

you asked.
I vote for both.

Lol, and SOCOM doesn't use the scar
That argument doesn't hold water
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK91 ftw!

Love that gun.

you asked.
I vote for both.

Haven't they also broken quite a few of them too??
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Got several Buddies that have taken SCARs downrange several times. They haven't broken them! They all have bought personal 17s. Comparing these is like a taildragger to tricycle gear aircraft- if it was better the would still be shooting the off carriers
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#42]
How is this even a question anymore?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How is this even a question anymore?
View Quote

Because some people keep touting the SCAR anyways.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#44]
FAL, M14, AR10, SCAR are all better than a G3/HK91
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a huge fan of the G3. I believe it is the most reliable of the big three 7.62x51 cold war era rifles as long as M80 or equivalent ammunition is used. Its free floating barrel was ahead of its time. It does have a couple of flaws. Personal experience with my HK91 taught me that deviation from M80 equivalent ammunition turned 100% reliable into 100% awkward straight pull manual action. I've also been told by people, whose opinions I trust, that it doesn't take much of an impact to the side of the receiver to disable it. I sold my HK91 years ago, in a time of financial distress. Its role is now covered by a Scar17S.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm a huge fan of the G3. I believe it is the most reliable of the big three 7.62x51 cold war era rifles as long as M80 or equivalent ammunition is used. Its free floating barrel was ahead of its time. It does have a couple of flaws. Personal experience with my HK91 taught me that deviation from M80 equivalent ammunition turned 100% reliable into 100% awkward straight pull manual action. I've also been told by people, whose opinions I trust, that it doesn't take much of an impact to the side of the receiver to disable it. I sold my HK91 years ago, in a time of financial distress. Its role is now covered by a Scar17S.
View Quote

So, if the sheet metal receiver gets dented will it still function? What about the small pins and rollers that break and I have seen break. It's also bulky.

You're really going to say that its more durable than an FAL or M14
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So, if the sheet metal receiver gets dented will it still function? Notice the part in blue above? I specifically mentioned that as a weakness. I've never seen it in person, but I will acknowledge the potential problem. What about the small pins and rollers that break and I have seen break. It's also bulky.
What small pins are an issue in the G3? I have to believe broken rollers would be from an improperly built G3, or one that has way exceeded its round count between armourer checkups.
Yes, and I like the M14.
I never had much use for the overgrown, repackaged SKS that is the FAL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, if the sheet metal receiver gets dented will it still function? Notice the part in blue above? I specifically mentioned that as a weakness. I've never seen it in person, but I will acknowledge the potential problem. What about the small pins and rollers that break and I have seen break. It's also bulky.
What small pins are an issue in the G3? I have to believe broken rollers would be from an improperly built G3, or one that has way exceeded its round count between armourer checkups.
Yes, and I like the M14.
I never had much use for the overgrown, repackaged SKS that is the FAL.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:52:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So, if the sheet metal receiver gets dented will it still function? What about the small pins and rollers that break and I have seen break. It's also bulky.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know about a FAL but my opinion is that it is at least as good as a M14 and my guess would put it on top.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top