Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 3:43:55 AM EDT
I have been using FrogLube but I am out now and thinking of checking out something else. So I was looking at the alternatives (like fire clean ect) when I ran across this home brew type CLP http://alphaclp.com/ and was just curiuse if anyone has had any experiance with it.

I would look into other suggested alternatives as well .
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Breakfree clp smells nice. It's what a lot of us use.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I started out using but I would really like to stay with the more natural products now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Petroleum oil is natural.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#4]
While you are right I am sure that it also has other additives in it that are not so natural but I will adjust what I am asking. Looking for a natural  non-petroleum based CLP with either no smell or a good smell like froglube.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Slip 2000 is non toxic and no smell, and IMO better than CLP
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like Lucas Gun Oil, it is not all natural, but is Odorless and Environmentally Friendly. You can pick up a good sized bottle for about $5 at most auto parts stores.

I have also heard that Frog lube is very similar to Thomson Center Natural Lube 1000.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I went ahead and got the $10 sample pack of that Alpha stuff to try out for myself since I can't really seem to find much on it.

I did find a few interesting videos on the stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRXq4dx6V6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YMdw6aez1s
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm real chemical sensitive and thought I had a good sniffer and I don't really feel like Break Free CLP in the black bottle with gold lettering smells at all.  Or at least not stiff enough to matter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
My Weapon Shield has kind of a cinnamon smell to it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slip 2000 is non toxic and no smell, and IMO better than CLP
View Quote

This is what I use.  Slip 2000 EWL.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Bacon grease!!

All natural, smells great, may attract house pets and wildlife.

Fire Clean or Slip2000. No odor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Petroleum oil is natural.
View Quote

Yes it is and a renewable resource too.  Well on a dinosaur timeline but it is!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#13]
synthetic motor oil of choice. Drop it in a small squeeze bottle and slap your brand of choice label on it. That's what a lot of vendors do, after adding something like dexron or other transmission fluid to it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Froglube is biodegradable which makes it degrade into a gummy mess after a few moths on my guns. Never again. I use CLP and Slip 2000 50 weight in different guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#15]
When FrogLube first came out I was a BIG sceptic so I went ahead and bought some to try for myself. While I won't go as far as most were after first trying it by saying things like "it's the new standard" or "it will magically make your gun something it wasn't before" I have kept using it this whole time because I felt the good outweighed the bad.
In all the time I have used it I've never had any gumming problems from semi-autos to old surplus bolt guns which leads me to believe that I am either very lucky or others are not following some of the steps during the process of applying it like wipe off ALL excess.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Magnalube for firearms and anything else that needs grease. $14 a pint on Amazon, which is basically a lifetime's supply.

Don't pay extra for a name.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#17]
That Magnalube looks pretty interesting and it's at a great price, although I am guessing you will still have to buy separate solvents for cleaning so you have to take that into account.  Still I might have to give that one a try.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Breakfree clp smells nice. It's what a lot of us use.
View Quote

This. I use this and have for several years now.

Break Free Lubricant

or

Break Free CLP
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bacon grease!!

Fire Clean or Slip2000. No odor.
View Quote

Beat me to it.

Another fan of bacon grease and Slip2000.

I also recommend Lucas Gun Oil.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That's what I started out using but I would really like to stay with the more natural products now.
View Quote
OP what are you using it for?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#21]
How about

Mobil 1

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Ballistol reeks like a rancid grease dumpster that's been sitting in the sun behind a truck stop all summer long but... it's natural, works well, mixes with water, but don't make the mistake of using it in your laundry room sink
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ballistol reeks like a rancid grease dumpster that's been sitting in the sun behind a truck stop all summer long but... it's natural, works well, mixes with water, but don't make the mistake of using it in your laundry room sink
View Quote

I bought a can of Ballistol. Used it once. Now gun cleaning is banned from indoors if I use Ballostol.
I use Hoppes 9, Breakfree CLP, Slip 2000 EWL, Fireclean in various combinations depanding on how much cleaning is required.

You know they could make that shit smell like sugar cookies if they wanted to.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had good luck with Rand CLP.  I've also used Slip2000 EWG and it worked too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Got in the alpha kit today and cleaned an sks that had about 500 rounds ran through it. I would say the CLP works well as a cleaner but I am not 100% sure on how it will work for a lubricant or for long term storage.

It smells like a weak vicks vaporub and is thinner than froglube paste but a little thicker than the froglube liquid.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Dont see this around too often but it works and smells great.

http://www.g96.com/products/gun-treatment/

http://www.mcssl.com/store/c0e84d9548e54592a9555a19c32338/synthetic-clp
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Froglube is biodegradable which makes it degrade into a gummy mess after a few moths on my guns. Never again. I use CLP and Slip 2000 50 weight in different guns.
View Quote

Had the same thing happen and i only left a very thin coating on slide rails etc..   I also use Slip 2000 .

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:54:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bacon grease!!

View Quote

Maybe I will have to try this then.

http://shop.tacticalshit.com/liberal-tears-gun-oil-6oz
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bacon grease!!

Tempted to get some of that as a novelty item.  Most guys at work would love it, others not so much.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Almost anything that is a "cleaner" in addition to other functions is going to have volatile compounds/solvents, so will have odor.

So, separate the cleaning and lubrication/protection functions.  I doubt you are on the battlefield or not able to obtain supply to where you can't maintain different products for cleaning and lubrication.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51004-Synthetic-Viscosity/dp/B000UKUHXK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421102053&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=synco+superlube
Synco Superlube is a pretty good, simple PAO based oil with PTFE, which IME has no perceptable odor.  They also have a lighter weight oil without PTFE, and a grease which is pretty good for handguns IMO.  They're also non-toxic and even USDA rated for food contact applications.  "Safe" doesn't necessarily have to be "natural".
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Mobil One.  No odor, works great
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Gunzilla. All natural.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Almost anything that is a "cleaner" in addition to other functions is going to have volatile compounds/solvents, so will have odor.

So, separate the cleaning and lubrication/protection functions.  I doubt you are on the battlefield or not able to obtain supply to where you can't maintain different products for cleaning and lubrication.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51004-Synthetic-Viscosity/dp/B000UKUHXK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421102053&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=synco+superlube
Synco Superlube is a pretty good, simple PAO based oil with PTFE, which IME has no perceptable odor.  They also have a lighter weight oil without PTFE, and a grease which is pretty good for handguns IMO.  They're also non-toxic and even USDA rated for food contact applications.  "Safe" doesn't necessarily have to be "natural".
View Quote

Thanks for the tip but If you look through this thread there seems to be plenty of products that clean lube and protect just fine with little to no bad odor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm one who thinks Breakfree CLP reeks. About makes me gag.

Firepower FP-10 is a great CLP and smells like cinnamon. No idea whether or not it's all natural though.

Ballistol is all natural and I think it smells OK. Certainly doesn't fill up a room like Hoppe's No 9.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:18:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip but If you look through this thread there seems to be plenty of products that clean lube and protect just fine with little to no bad odor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of people say that ATF is fine to use as a lubricant and smells ok when it's known as a serious irritant and allergen to many.  People in this thread have recommended Break Free CLP when many people find it to be an irritant.  Might be wise to take advice from folks who are on the more sensitive side of the chemical detection scale vs the "hoppes #9 is my cologne" side.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Rand CLP and Fireclean are both "natural" and work well, OP.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why, because it's healthier?  Ya ain't eatin' it, ya's shootin' it.  If you have to worry about something, worry about the lead dust and spent powder toxic compounds you might be breathing when you shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top