Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2014 9:35:32 AM EDT
Hey guys, I bought a custom rifle from a guy several years back. Didn't know anything about it, just that it was a custom made .22-250 and that's what I was looking for.  From what I can tell it was built off a Mauser action and re-barreled in 22-250. I'm thinking the stock was custom, but not really sure. Anyway, this thing shoots like a dream and is my favorite rifle in the safe. I just hate the safety. Anyone know if this safety can be changed to something that pushes forward and back? I've seen conversion kits online but I don't know anything about Mauser actions and what model this is. Any help or info appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, a Winchester style three positiion swing safety is a common modification.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#2]
There are companies who make three way safeties, (win. model 70 type) for Mauser 98''s.
They run from parts you can install to those that come complete with the bolt shroud.  
All of them whether parts or complete safeties require some fitting to the bolt, best done with a mill but hand tool possible.
Here's a link to the 3 way safeties that brownells offers.  http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=M98%203%20position%20safety&ksubmit=y&f_a=1
Veore makes a 3 way safety which is pure sex, but price and information is hard to find.
ETA found the video on how to fit the safety, it's being done on a Remington, the bolt shroud is different but the modification of the bolt body is the same.

As is posted below, if you're just going to use the rifle as a bench rifle then the option of using a trigger with a safety is a good one.  
The good thing about three way safeties is that they lock the bolt down, so when you're going through the brush, you won't hang the bolt handle up on a branch and lose all your rounds to the ground and then jump an elk, start to pull the rifle into your shoulder and find out you don't have anything to shoot him with.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You can also put a shroud on the bolt and change to a trigger like a Timney that has the safety on the trigger, similar to a Remington
This does require a trigger change.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:11:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Bold trigger on my Parker-Hale Mauser and it worked like a Remington 700.   I then bought a safety-less shroud to give it a clean look.   You will have to inlet the stock a little bit but it shouldn't be too hard.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can also put a shroud on the bolt and change to a trigger like a Timney that has the safety on the trigger, similar to a Remington
This does require a trigger change.
View Quote

You lose the ability to lock the firing pin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I like the three-way, just not the price at the moment. By the time I got it and payed the gunsmith, the safety would cost as much as I payed for the rifle! It'll go on the back burner for now, but definitely a project for the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top