Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 5:44:43 AM EDT
Are there any polymer striker-fired 9mm pistols with similar grip circumference and trigger reach to the new crop of 9mm ccw pistols, but with a 4"-4.75" barrel?

I have a few friends for whom the S&W Shield, Taurus Slim, etc. are the absolute biggest pistols they can confidently and comfortably control. Going any thicker at all(such as to a Taurus G2) starts to cause problems for them. I'd like to be able to recommend a modern full size pistol or pistols for them, but I can't think of any which fit this description.

Also, for one of them, 4" is an absolute minimum requirement for the barrel length for legal reasons.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The full size Sig P320 has a 4.7" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The full size Sig P320 has a 4.7" barrel.
View Quote

That's more than a bit of a non sequitur, isn't it? I don't see how your suggestion relates to the discussion I've tried to open here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The 4" XDs is basically a full size when you use the extended mag.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Kahr CT's?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Kahr CT9 or TP9

Barrel length is 3.95" though

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This or one of the Kahr's (TP ot CT).

There is not much interest in this style of pistol.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
out of curiosity, what are the legal reasons for needing a barrel over 4"? Is it a state thing and if so, what state?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately none of them have panned out geometrically/ergonomically. The Kahrs would if they had short Glock/XD style triggers, but the Kahr DAO trigger reach is too long. The XDS 4" with extended magazine would be just this side of serviceable in this role if only the grip was sized for 9mm instead of .45. The grip circumference on it just isn't where my friends need it to be.

Quoted:
out of curiosity, what are the legal reasons for needing a barrel over 4"? Is it a state thing and if so, what state?
View Quote

The 4"+ barrel length isn't a state restriction, it's a country restriction. That person travels through Canada to get back and forth to Alaska, and prefers not to have to mail firearms ahead and pay for another NICS check every time.

Also, for practical reasons, I've always found 4"+ barreled pistols significantly easier to hit accurately with than those with 3" barrels.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Why the ncis check each time.  You can ship guns to yourself.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only people I know of who have shipped guns to themselves still had to have them received by an FFL.

Can you point me to an example where this isn't necessary, or better, to the relevant law which explicitly allows what you are saying?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The only people I know of who have shipped guns to themselves still had to have them received by an FFL.

Can you point me to an example where this isn't necessary, or better, to the relevant law which explicitly allows what you are saying?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can, but you are going to have to wait until I get off work. I've shipped firearms to myself several times as a lot of times it is easier than flying with them.  FFL's are solely responsible for interstate commerce of firearms. Once you own it, it's yours. if that wasn't the case you'd have to mail it to an FFL in another state every time you traveled anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Does it need to be polymer?  Or are you requiring that because a polymer single stack might be smaller than a steel or metal gun of similar design.  Or configuration I should say.  Because there are a few singe stack 9mm's out there.  239.  S&W 3913 or Model 39.  The springy EMP might have a grip size that you are seeking.  There are probably others that I'm forgetting.  Like the Beretta 92 compact M.  But with that or the sig you might have the same issue with the trigger reach. Well and the Smith too.  The EMP might fit that bill better.

The Ruger LCR might be good but the barrel is shorter than the 4" you want.  But then again, I think the rest of the guns I listed are too except for the Smith's.  Those I think are 4"ers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Do they have to be new? When I googled your reqs, other forums offered the HK P7 and Beretta 92 compact M(single stack). I think they are bigger then a shield and tar slim. Both are getting harder to find, especially the Beretta.

Also on the Kahr's page you can buy a threaded barrel, makes it 4.5in

Another thought, though it's a 380, Browning has the 1911 380 supposedly early next year. Same size as their 1911-22, and yes probably bigger then the shield and slim too.

That's all my google fu brought up
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I stipulated polymer/modern because the older designs like the single stack Sigs are too thick.

Also, lots of them are traditional double actions, which further fail to meet the trigger span requirement. Also, one of the people I'm looking for this for really doesn't like traditional single actions like 1911s, so a modern striker fired action is pretty much the only way to meet the specs I'm looking for.

For what it's worth, here's what I'm trying to meet:

Grip circumference: 5 inches or less
Trigger span: 3.2 inches or less on every shot
Barrel length: 4 inches or more, within reason
Action: Not a hammer fired single action.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#16]
here

Down the page a little. It talks about mailing something via contract carrier to one's on resident. I fedex or UPS. It's perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#17]
In the full out ready to fire position.  The length from the back strap to the face of the trigger on a 9mm Kahr is .35" shorter than the length on a Glock 19.  If you can work around the barrel length issue, I don't think you can find a striker fired pistol with a shorter trigger reach than a Kahr.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know all the firearms that exist, but I don't think what you're looking for exists. Any duty sized barreled pistol is going to be double stack.

Your single stack pistols are going to be 1911 style, compact/sub-compact or pocket sized.

As someone already mentioned, the only single stack, 4" barrel striker fired pistol I can think of it the HK P7. But since they're no longer made, prices have been skyrocketing. Additionally, the PSP is going to have a heel release. To get the mag release in a more traditional location, you're going to spend a boatload on a P7M8. The mag release still won't be a button, it will be a little more leverish.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#19]
If control is a main concern, a metal frame to absorb some more of the recoil wouldn't be a bad thing.

CZ75 grip feel very thin (like a 1911)  due to how they are curved, even if double stack, and different grips will make it thinner.

A 9mm tokarev, 9mm 1911 (also metal frame) , Spanish star , and hi-point are some of the only full size single stacks I can think of.

not sure if that helped but good luck, I honestly dont know if any such gun exists.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#20]
the Kahr is the closest thing to what you are asking about.  If you don't need polymer you can look for a Smith & Wesson Model 909, which was a single stack version of the Model 910 that held 9 rounds of 9mm. It was made from 1995 to 1996 but shows up from time to time used.  It is full size, single stack, 9mm but has an aluminum frame.  Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#21]
When I said LCP I meant to say LCR.  Even though it's a DAO and a .380, it might fit the size requirements.  I'm not sure how far that trigger reach is but I'm guessing it's shorter than a lot of pistols.  

I know this is way out of the specs, but if the big thing is trigger reach, than a J frame (442/642 or Model 60, etc) with the stock grips or boot grips may meet this persons needs.  It is very small.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#22]
HK P7 or P7M8.  Not polymer frame.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#23]
And then the Ruger LC9.  But that might be too long of a reach.  The LCP might be closer to that dimension.  

LC9 article by alloutdoor
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, here's what I'm trying to meet:

Grip circumference: 5 inches or less
Trigger span: 3.2 inches or less on every shot
Barrel length: 4 inches or more, within reason
Action: Not a hammer fired single action.
View Quote

Another close-but-not-quite: HK P9S

It has a polymer grip frame.
Grip circumference is under 6" (yes - you were looking for sub-5")
Trigger span at 3"
Barrel length 4"
Although it doesn't look like it, the action is a traditional double/single hammer-fired action.  However, the cocking lever on the side of the grip can be engaged as the gun is drawn, giving a single-action trigger pull for each shot.

I agree that something with all the features you want probably doesn't exist.  This is just another that meets some of your specifications.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#25]
[Firestar M43.  Excellent pistol despite the Spanish origin. Technically a compact pistol though.

Firestar

Rereading your post, it is not polymer but Al frame.  I don't remember barrel length either, might be 3.25".

Nevermind
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Not polymer, and probably not what you are looking for, but P-08?

I really think your small handed friend should probably buy a second copy of whatever he/she normally carries, to keep in AK,  and a legal long arm to travel through Canada.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not polymer, and probably not what you are looking for, but P-08?

I really think your small handed friend should probably buy a second copy of whatever he/she normally carries, to keep in AK,  and a legal long arm to travel through Canada.
View Quote

The point isn't for defense while in Canada, as that(defense with a handgun) is illegal there. I'm sure that if they want a defensive arm for inside Canada, they'd choose a shotgun, which is legal for that purpose there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Can a US citizen take ANY firearm across the border with Canada at all?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, long guns.  There is a form.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes, long guns.  There is a form.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Beretta 1951 9mm should fit the bill nicely.  Coles has a slew of them on GB now for sub $300
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Bersa BP9CC

I've got one. Neat little gun. Kinda picky about ammo. No real magazine availability. Bersa didn't do a very good job of getting them into the US in numbers and marketing them.

They're like a single stack Glock 19. Very slightly shorter slide and a thinner grip.

I probably won't be keeping mine, not because I don't like it, but because I picked up an M&P Shield for CCW and I like it a little better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top