User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol. I bought my Scar from a home based dealer and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Yes it was different but I liked the transaction and may go back for more in the future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home FFLs are also a turn-off to the buyer. It never comes across any better than a flighty set-up and it's ALWAYS awkward and uncomfortable for the buyer to be sitting at your kitchen table filling out forms.

Turn off? That would be funny to the 2,147 customers I've developed in the last six years.
If a home based FFL was such a turn off I don't think I would be doing 2,000 guns a year.

Can you share some insight as to you make people feel comfortable or combat that "awkward and uncomfortable" feeling?

Hell if I know, I just invite them in, offer them a seat at my dining room table and hand them a 4473.
A smile and "How are ya?" shouldn't make someone uncomfortable should it?

Lol. I bought my Scar from a home based dealer and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Yes it was different but I liked the transaction and may go back for more in the future.

How much imitation crab meat did you take home?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1    
    Maybe it's a difference in local culture.  I wouldn't want to be a buyer sitting amongst the toast crumbs with the kids watching cartoons in the next room.  
     As a seller I wouldn't want strangers in my home scoping it out, especially when they can assume I'm sitting on a nice stash of inventory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could see how it could be weird though . . .

+1    
    Maybe it's a difference in local culture.  I wouldn't want to be a buyer sitting amongst the toast crumbs with the kids watching cartoons in the next room.  
     As a seller I wouldn't want strangers in my home scoping it out, especially when they can assume I'm sitting on a nice stash of inventory.

Sounds like a legitimate concern
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Building clientele to do transfers will take awhile. I plan to offer cerakoting and gunsmithing to an extent, IE barrel threading/cutting, pin & weld, small installs.
My focus won't be on gun sales, that's for sure. Will probably start out of my home once I find out if I can run home based business and most likely find a small shop near me to rent out.

Gun sales are meh, gun modifications seem to be a better path to take.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Three of them just opened up in our area that already had four or five well established places in a population base of maybe 150,000.

So I guess its possible , but i would not want to do it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could see how it could be weird though . . .

+1    

This of it this way:

You, the buyer, have two options to handle the incoming firearm transfer, a local walk-in, traditional gun shop or a guy with an FFL working out of his house. Both options are the same price, same distance, neither offers an discernible advantage over the other for the transfer. Which do you choose?

I'd be willing to bet the vast, overwhelming majority of people would choose the gun shop. Some of that preference would be due to the opportunity to peruse and shop, but much of it would be to avoid walking into a stranger's house to conduct business and all that this entails.

Whether it's stated or not, admitted or not, it's an awkward experience. An appointment is necessary, rather than at your leisure during normal business hours. There is an undeniable shady quality to it which is totally absent from a gun shop, as if one were there to buy drugs. What do the neighbors think is going on? You are forced into someone else's private life, even if just for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whether it's stated or not, admitted or not, it's an awkward experience. An appointment is necessary, rather than at your leisure during normal business hours. There is an undeniable shady quality to it which is totally absent from a gun shop, as if one were there to buy drugs. What do the neighbors think is going on? You are forced into someone else's private life, even if just for a few minutes.
View Quote

I've never transferred a gun through a kitchen table dealer but I suspect it's a lot like going to somebody's house to buy a gun you've spotted in the newspaper classifieds. Sometimes, that sort of transaction goes smooth as silk and there's no awkwardness or weirdness at all. Other times, you can't get out of there fast enough. It's completely dependent on the people you're dealing with. I'm sure some kitchen table dealers are good at putting people at ease, while others freak people out. It probably has a lot to do with how comfortable the dealer is with what he's doing. Dogtown Tom says he does a couple thousand transfers a year. I bet somebody who does five or six transfers a day has got the drill down pat and everything goes smoothly. Some guy who's doing his first transfer with a stranger is likely to be a little off-putting.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You, the buyer, have two options to handle the incoming firearm transfer, a local walk-in, traditional gun shop or a guy with an FFL working out of his house. Both options are the same price, same distance, neither offers an discernible advantage over the other for the transfer. Which do you choose?
If that was the case there would be relatively few kitchen table dealers. But sadly your scenario isn't remotely how it is in real life. Many brick and mortar shops charge significantly more for transfers than home based dealers or choose to not do transfers at all. Any of the gun stores in Plano, TX (population 270,000) could put me out of business tomorrow if they charged the same and offered the same level of service..............but they don't. As a matter of fact the largest LGS refers people to me.

I'd be willing to bet the vast, overwhelming majority of people would choose the gun shop.
I agree.......if price was identical. But it isn't

Whether it's stated or not, admitted or not, it's an awkward experience.
And its not awkward to be belittled, ignored or charged an outrageous transfer fee?
My customer service beats the LGS by a mile.

An appointment is necessary, rather than at your leisure during normal business hours.
Do you mean 10-am-6pm Monday-Saturday? That's the "normal business hours" of two of our LGS. If you need to pick up your gun after work you better hope traffic is nonexistent. (commute time from downtown Dallas to Plano can exceed an hour)
Contrast that with my hours 5-9pm M-F, 4-7 Saturday or 4-7pm Sunday. Hundreds of customers have told me how much they appreciate my "late hours" because their former dealer closed the doors at 6pm.

Sure I want an "appointment" because I'm not a retail store and don't sit and twiddle my thumbs until the next customer drops in.

There is an undeniable shady quality to it which is totally absent from a gun shop, as if one were there to buy drugs.
Horseshit.
Quite often the shadiest, smarmiest business you'll ever visit is a gun store/pawn shop/small business.
There are hundreds of thousands of perfectly legit home businesses. You seem threatened by the idea of a home based dealer beating you at your own game. If you really want to get rid of home based dealers try dropping your transfer fee and improving your customer service skills.

What do the neighbors think is going on?
I do two transfers a month to my next door neighbor.
The homeowner across the street? His FIL is a gun dealer in Missouri.
In my neighborhood I have around sixteen customers I see regularly.

You are forced into someone else's private life, even if just for a few minutes.
You must shit your pants when the plumber comes over.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've actually met some really nice guys getting my transfers from home based FFLs.

I feel A LOT more comfortable with them than going into the local gun stores. Since they've done me transfers, sometimes I will order guns through them if the price is comparable to the online price, just to throw them a little bit more profit-because they're nice guys with small businesses.

Most gun shops I've been in treat me like shit, think i'm stupid, or just flat out ignore me. The customer service is terrible and/or non-existent. Most shops won't even do transfers, or they charge an outrageous fee- they want you to buy from their overpriced inventory...

One of the home based FFL guys I've dealt with was excited to show off his huge, incredible collection to me. He had a VERY impressive collection; Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWII...

I'm to the point were I won't even waste my time walking into a shop any more...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The short answer is yes but it will take allot of work a few things will increase your chances of success
1) low overhead
2) if you have another source of income ie:a pension or other fixed income very helpful so your not bleeding the shop profits
while you establish the business at least three years
3) at least one or more co owners to share the work load if your alone its you 24-7
4) a side business like gun and pawn , gun and outdoor sports . guns and antiques so long as its guns and anything else
5) work on a volume business model , its easier to make a dollar a million times than a million dollars once
6) be willing to do 40 or more gun shows a year
7) don't be afraid to make $20 on a deal if you can replace the item tomorrow
8) every dime has to go back into the shop
9) expect atf to knock on your door any day and at any moment self audit every month to cover your ass
10) did i mention low overhead  

right now is a good time to get into the business because inventory is cheap but don't expect to be rolling in dough without allot of sacrifice

i had a gun and pawn shop years ago and made allot of money but it was allot of work I started with 12 guns and $2500 some days id open
the shop and all i had was $20 in the safe by the end of the day i had done $30k of business and only had $20 in the safe wondering how
the hell i pulled that off a good formula is buy new guns trade for used guns sell used guns make lots of money

i would do it again but not by my self

Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#10]
The last three guns I have purchased was through a home dealer.  The experience is much better than gun shops.  He is completely respectful of my shit and refuses to open the box.  He lets the customer do it.  I drive an hour to do business with this guy.  Its never awkward or weird.  We Texas folks are friendly, especially to each other!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The last three guns I have purchased was through a home dealer.  The experience is much better than gun shops.  He is completely respectful of my shit and refuses to open the box.  He lets the customer do it.  I drive an hour to do business with this guy.  Its never awkward or weird.  We Texas folks are friendly, especially to each other!
View Quote

There are at least two problems with waiting for the customer to open the transfer package:
1.) By law, the gun is supposed to be logged if it's on premises. Acquisitions should be recorded by the end of the next day's business. I've had customers wait several days to pick up a gun.  
2.) If the seller didn't include the necessary information to log the gun, the transfer probably isn't going to happen. I bet you'd be pissed if you drove an hour only to find out your seller didn't provide the information the dealer needed for his log book.

If you don't trust your dealer to open your package, you probably need to find a different dealer . . . that said, I've had customers who requested that I wait until they're there to open the box. I don't have a problem waiting, so long as they agree to show up promptly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There are at least two problems with waiting for the customer to open the transfer package:
1.) By law, the gun is supposed to be logged if it's on premises. Acquisitions should be recorded by the end of the next day's business. I've had customers wait several days to pick up a gun.  
2.) If the seller didn't include the necessary information to log the gun, the transfer probably isn't going to happen. I bet you'd be pissed if you drove an hour only to find out your seller didn't provide the information the dealer needed for his log book.

If you don't trust your dealer to open your package, you probably need to find a different dealer . . . that said, I've had customers who requested that I wait until they're there to open the box. I don't have a problem waiting, so long as they agree to show up promptly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
75% of the packages I receive have no customer information on the outside. Pretty difficult to guess who its for unless I open the box.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.
75% of the packages I receive have no customer information on the outside. Pretty difficult to guess who its for unless I open the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep. It's hard to call a customer to tell him his gun has arrived if you don't know whose gun is inside the box.

And, technically, the BATF doesn't want us to log based on what's on a box. They want us to log what's written on the gun. That means gun in hand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...And, technically, the BATF doesn't want us to log based on what's on a box. They want us to log what's written on the gun. That means gun in hand.
View Quote

Since September 1st I've received two firearms from two of the largest online dealers...............both were different serial numbers than what was on the box and the invoice.

One said thank you for noticing the error, Palmetto never responded. But in a few months they'll call in a panic because they've discovered the error. happens every year with them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Since September 1st I've received two firearms from two of the largest online dealers...............both were different serial numbers than what was on the box and the invoice.

One said thank you for noticing the error, Palmetto never responded. But in a few months they'll call in a panic because they've discovered the error. happens every year with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...And, technically, the BATF doesn't want us to log based on what's on a box. They want us to log what's written on the gun. That means gun in hand.

I've had everyone from Adam's Arms to Zanders make mistakes that screw up bound books.

Shit gets opened and the gun inspected within 30 minutes of signing for it.  Why? Because my FFL is more important than any one customer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Shit gets opened and the gun inspected within 30 minutes of signing for it.  Why? Because my FFL is more important than any one customer.
View Quote

I find that a lot of customers don't understand this relatively simple concept. You'd think a dealer who wanted to make a sale would be more amenable to straw purchases, out-of-date ID's, etc.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Last 5 transfers have been with a dealer that works out of his basement, I'm totally fine with it and he is my current go-to guy for internet purchases.  Cheapest transfer fees in town and he is very accommodating about his hours.

He logs his firearms immediately upon receipt, so my stuff has always been opened when I get there to pick up the firearm.  Again, totally fine with that also.

Great guy to do business with, he is retired and primarily does internet sales transfers for extra income.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it possible to open a gunshop and make it in this economy?
View Quote

In a word, no.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Of the home FFL dealers I've been to, only one was a true kitchen tabler, while the others had a room or "office" set up for conducting business in the house, or in their garage.  If you ever had your hair cut or taxes done by someone who works from their home, it's the same deal.

Home dealers are great if you know what you're shopping for, or have an idea what to order.  Depending on the distributors they go through and volume they buy, chances are they can't order a gun for the same price a larger shop can offer.  If you want to handle the goods or stumble across an impulse buy, that's where the larger shops come in handy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I suggest anyone considering opening a gun shop (or any business) try this exercise:
1.) Visit a shop you like and would like to emulate
2.) Look around
3.) Count the cost of everything  you see . . . and I do mean EVERY thing: the inventory, the fixtures, the paint on the walls, the trash can, the tape dispenser, the thumbtacks on the bulletin board, the pens and paper . . . Everything. Just guess.
4.) Now think about how far away you are from being able to even get started

Also, a proper business plan is a must. If you're not willing to take the time and make the effort to write a real business plan, you don't have what it takes to run a business.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Add in a Pawn shop and Buy Gold and you might make it.  IF you can toss in some auto loans, even better.  a Gunshop alone anymore is a hard business
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Add in a Pawn shop and Buy Gold and you might make it.  IF you can toss in some auto loans, even better.  a Gunshop alone anymore is a hard business
View Quote

The gold boom is over. It's all been bought and melted down . . . not all, of course, but a bunch of it . . . That, along with falling price, has taken a lot of the luster off of gold. It's still part of the formula for pawn shops, but not nearly like it was a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:56:29 AM EDT
[#23]
A home based dealer transferred my first 2 machine guns to me.

Ralph Shattuck was a home based dealer when I met him in 1972. He was the country's foremost authority on Lugers. I don't know if he ever set up a storefront.

The most successful LGS here near me (Mace Sports) probably sells more guns than most anyone else in North Carolina. He says it's not hard to best the big sporting goods stores, has 20,000 sq ft of store. Sells ammo by the pallet. But he started in a barn behind his house in the 90s. His selection of guns is huge. He has lots of knowledgeable staff, sells optics, archery, clothing, targets, cleaning supplies, reloading supplies, safes. He got out of fishing.

You have to start small, be focussed, be a good businessman. It's not for everyone, and most fail. You have to do some smart marketing. Your location is important.

But if you have a vision and provide excellent service at a reasonable price, give a fair price for used guns, you can do it. You can make a decent profit on guns some sneer at, but they work. Profit on used guns can exceed that for new ones.

Don't let the naysayers squash your dream, but heed the warnings and make a good business plan, get some advice from experts...

Good luck!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top