Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2014 12:40:40 AM EDT
Is it possible to open a gunshop and make it in this economy?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can do it right now, someone needs to hire you to run a fortune 100 company.  The market is shit at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on your area. I've become great friends with the owner and workers at one of the many local gun shops in my area, they are are constantly busy SELLING firearms and accessories. A lot of money goes through that shop on an hourly basis. The owner said his biggest rival is the online shops.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I hear that the best way to make a million dollars selling guns is to start with two million dollars. Most of the shops in my area are just getting by, not really expanding or gaining employees. The market does appear to be pretty flooded with product right now.

One way that a lot of the shops are going to start making money here in Washington is the passing of Initiative 594. We can no longer transfer any firearm without a background check. There were a lot of shops and dealers quietly cheering the passage of this initiative. They did not cheer openly, but they realized they are going to have steady business from everyone wanting to stay within the law.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be tough. I suggest making an online store and becoming an industry partner on here.

I would love to support my LGS, but the savings I make just ordering offline plus an FFL fee, just knock the LGS out of the park.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it possible to open a gunshop and make it in this economy?
View Quote

Anything is possible. But probable? Not so much . . . Frankly, I don't know how gun shops make it any time.

If you're seriously thinking about it, you need to write a business plan, a real business plan.

<---- pawnbroker/FFL
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Research your area..There are so many gun shops here and most of the time they are empty. Dont know how they are making it. Esp. when you can order from buds, pay the transfer fee and still come under the local dealers. I prefer brick and mortor store, but like saving money even better. Unless you buy in large bulk, you are going to be hard pressed to be competitive.

Now if you get into Manufactoring and/or repairing or get into Class III , that might help.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Tough to say.
There have been a number of new shops that have opened in our area in the last year.
One thing they all have in common is that they all have indoor ranges.  That may help them survive.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to say NO. No LGS has ever been close to the pricing you can buy for online. I found a local home based FFL that will transfer for $10, so that's what I do.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#10]
You might want to try working at a gun shop for a few months to see if you like it. It may not be as much fun as you imagine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I am nearing retirement in my .gov career and am looking forward to doing something I want for a change. I have seriously crunched the numbers on opening a gun selling business and my most optimistic business plan had me doing little better than breaking even at the end of year two.

Leasing business space that ATF will approve of seems to be the biggest financial hurdle (for me at least).
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll also be voting with the skeptics.  
    The largest town near me has a revolving door of new gun shops soon to be closed gun shops.  You can't blame them for doing what they always wanted to do, but I think they need to create a more realistic business plan before taking the plunge.   I was in the newest one this week.  When I asked them what they plan to do differently than the last one they didn't have any substantial answers.  
     The way to make money is tap into the newbie market who doesn't necessarily know about or doesn't want to mess with on-line sales.  However you can't count on them for much business because:
    A)  They are probably going to be buying one or two guns.  (Once you get more than that you aren't a newbie anymore and you figure out a cheaper way to do it.)
    B)  Newbies aren't likley to research their options much and just roll into an established business with a huge advertising budget.  (I.E. Gander Mnt.)
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am nearing retirement in my .gov career and am looking forward to doing something I want for a change. I have seriously crunched the numbers on opening a gun selling business and my most optimistic business plan had me doing little better than breaking even at the end of year two.

Leasing business space that ATF will approve of seems to be the biggest financial hurdle (for me at least).
View Quote

Huh? When I had my initial pre-license inspection, the ATF guy told me they didn't care if I kept my guns in the middle of an open field so long as my A&D book was correct and all guns were accounted for . . . not a direct quote but pretty close.

I know of no specific facility requirements for licensed gun shops other than the fact that they have to comply with local zoning.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Don't rape customers on trade ins.

Around here the rule of thumb is half of what you can sell it for.

This really puts a lot of people off. I would figure out what market value is and give the guy a fair price.

Then tack on $50-$100 and run that bitch out the door in a few days.

The higher the price you tag at the longer it will sit in inventory.

If you become known for fair trade value and low prices on used guns people with stop in more (sometimes daily) to see what they can score.
View Quote

It's hard to offer top values on trade-ins AND sell guns at move 'em on out prices. If your retail prices are lower than the competition, your trade-in values will also likely be lower as well. As long as the out of pocket cost to the customer is competitive, you should be OK.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
<--- retail firearms sales experience, no ownership, etc

Indoor range
Class 3 transfers. Match Silencershop or match + 10%
Monthly machine gun demo shoots
Invite as many industry reps as you can - I enjoyed meeting CZ reps at my LGS
Actual gunsmith in the back room
$20 transfers
Cerakote/bluing/parkerizing services
Open til 7pm
Online presence
Return all VMs, emails before you go home
Order for 10-15% over cost
keep the used guns to a minimum
15 person classroom space for CCW/hunter safety classes
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Huh? When I had my initial pre-license inspection, the ATF guy told me they didn't care if I kept my guns in the middle of an open field so long as my A&D book was correct and all guns were accounted for . . . not a direct quote but pretty close.

I know of no specific facility requirements for licensed gun shops other than the fact that they have to comply with local zoning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, they didn't give a damn about my storage. They stressed paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Specialty retail (which is what a gun shop really is) is a brutal business in the best of times.  Long hours, nights, weekends and holidays.  Lots of competition.  Constant pressure on margin.  Hint;  you cannot survive on a 10% markup.  Grocery stores, that flip inventory almost weekly, need 20%.  Walmart runs about a 29% gross margin with insane volume and aggressive wholesale pricing deals.  Every customer with an computer connection will think you should match internet prices.  Another hint:  you can't sell at wholesale prices in a retail environment.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I was pondering this (I wasn't going to actually open a gun store, just thinking if you could make it).   In my area, there are a few really good ones, we have one shop here called Hawktech that basically specializes in AR's and 10/22's, and they seem to do pretty damn good. The other two stores that I know do well allow the buying and selling of used guns...I think that accounts for the majority of their business.  

We have another store that is further away from me that will order any gun you can legally purchase for 10% over his cost.  He's been selling some guns.

The other thing with buying online is that you avoid sales tax (in most cases when store you're ordering from is not the same state you reside in).

In this market, it might be worth it to essentially open a used gun store.  Focus on buying and selling used guns, but have the ability to order something brand new if so desired.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Try working at a gun shop first for a few months to a year, get a feel for it that way with someone else's investment.  It'll speed up your learning curve and you'll find out really quickly if you really like working in the retail gun industry.

I did it for a while, and I got really burned out really fast.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Can't say about a gun shop... but a gun range, where people can rent their own outdoor 35 yard pistol bay, along with a rifle range out to 500 yards, now that would make some serious money where I'm at.... and yes, I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, for me it was this. What I really wanted to do was operate out of my home and primarily do gunshow sales but apparently that wasn't going to fly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well, for me it was this. What I really wanted to do was operate out of my home and primarily do gunshow sales but apparently that wasn't going to fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't think they approve licenses if you tell them you're just going to do gun shows. You have to have some kind of hours when you're open to the public. And local zoning must allow a home based business.

Frankly, if this is just a hobby thing, it's probably not messing with. You don't save that much money on new guns and there's a fair amount of hassle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Not in my area (15 mile radius).  Too many already there.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#26]
One big issue is supply of product .

In my area there are several giant gun stores that more or less act as their own distributors and buy direct from the manufactures for much of their firearms and ammo.

Then there is the Internet guys.

A smaller local shop is hard pressed to compete with this . Yes there are any number of distributors willing to sell you at wholesale but their wholesale isn't the same as what the big guys pay when they buy  direct.

A established shop that might own their own building and had paid off and own much of their inventory can coast through the hard times much easier and control their operating costs/overhead much better than the new guy .

Unless one finds an area that has little or no competition it is always tough for the new guy to compete with a established business .

The gun bis is a hobby business for the most part , sales will boom or bust along with the economy .

Rough business
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Indoor range
$20 transfers
Open til 7pm
Online presence
View Quote

That's the way to do it. Everyone I know who has done this has done great. All are genuinely nice people who use these resources to spend time with their customers and draw in people who have an interest. They teach interested people about their new hobby, those people get bit by the bug and spend thousands a year.

Their heads never get to big to answer their cell phone because a customers girlfriend bought a POS pistol and needs the gunsmith to look at it (and he'll look at it and give advice for free).

I know of a guy who opened a gun shop like this less than a year ago and just paid cash for a new 5 series. He gets it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#29]
IMHO:

- Home-based FFL is a very bad idea. All you do is transfers, which won't put much coin in your pocket. You won't be attracting shoppers, just people who have already purchased from someone else. Home FFLs are also a turn-off to the buyer. It never comes across any better than a flighty set-up and it's ALWAYS awkward and uncomfortable for the buyer to be sitting at your kitchen table filling out forms.

- Assuming a brick-and-mortar store, you'll need to go out on a limb to stand out in a sea of other gun stores. Lower prices are not enough and the current distributor model won't give you any room for lower prices anyway. You'll need to innovate, think outside the box and offer something or do things in a way no one else does; specialize in something, anything. Make your store the C&R destination or the long-range destination or the AR destination, nothing but ARs, AR parts, AR accessories, but stock everything one could want for an AR. Set -up a coffee roaster, serve awesome coffee. Something...

Unless you are the only FFL within 100 miles, you will just be noise if you stock the standard gun store shlock fighting over 2-3 percentage points on price.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Be prepared for 100+ people a day to come into your shop and ask for 22lr and want nothing else. If you tell then you are out, they dont believe you. And be prepared to know the exact date you will have more in and cost. Oh, and you're a ripoff bastard if you charge more than walmart.

That is just the walk ins... not even counting phone calls.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Indoor range
$20 transfers
Open til 7pm
Online presence
View Quote

Much of this list seems like wishful thinking to me, but a couple of specifics stand out to me . . .

An actual gunsmith? Wow, does such a thing still exist? In my area, all the true gunsmiths are old and/or retiring. There's one or two parts changers around who try to pass themselves off as gunsmiths but that's a stretch. Nobody does hot bluing anymore due to environmental rules (and lack of steady demand). The few old guys with any real skills are selective about who they work for and what they'll do. The idea of any of the local gun shops being able to support or afford a full-time qualified gunsmith on staff and on premises is laughable. Good lord, what would it cost for a LGS to have a full-time qualified gunsmith "in the back room."

Keep used guns to a minimum? Hell, used guns are about the only thing you can make any money on. It's also what customers come in to see and buy. I'd much rather have a steady supply of decent used guns than fill my rack with the same stuff that people can order online cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I had thought about it. Everyone I know in the business bitches constantly about the ass pain associated with it. I learned first hand after I got out of the mil and worked at a buddy's shop for a while. Besides all the crap that comes with any business and trying to keep it in the green, the laws, licenses, dealing with the FBI and ATF, the constant stream of fucktards that infest these places, availability of merchandise, dealing with manufacturers over warranties (because when kimber or whoever makes a $1000+ product that doesn't work properly, the retailer is supposed to magically just shit a brand new replacement for said product that took forever to get in the first place) not to mention the competition (don't even think of stocking any product available at wally world BTW) I just decided to do something else.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Much of this list seems like wishful thinking to me, but a couple of specifics stand out to me . . .

An actual gunsmith? Wow, does such a thing still exist? In my area, all the true gunsmiths are old and/or retiring. There's one or two parts changers around who try to pass themselves off as gunsmiths but that's a stretch. Nobody does hot bluing anymore due to environmental rules (and lack of steady demand). The few old guys with any real skills are selective about who they work for and what they'll do. The idea of any of the local gun shops being able to support or afford a full-time qualified gunsmith on staff and on premises is laughable. Good lord, what would it cost for a LGS to have a full-time qualified gunsmith "in the back room."

Keep used guns to a minimum? Hell, used guns are about the only thing you can make any money on. It's also what customers come in to see and buy. I'd much rather have a steady supply of decent used guns than fill my rack with the same stuff that people can order online cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indoor range
$20 transfers
Open til 7pm
Online presence

YMMV but I don't want to see a rem 770 or 870 on the used rack for 95% of the price of a new one or more than what I can order a new one online for.

If I can buy a blue label glock and get novak cuts milled on a 1911 in the same place, that's winning in regards to a "sunsmith". I'm not looking for Bill wilson's brother...

A CMP garand and a used kel-tec .380 are not the same class of "used gun" so maybe my post needs some clarification. I've been in plenty of shops with racks and racks of bullshit wood-stocked .270s for the same price I could pay for a new Tikka. Ya, maybe there's a gem in there but sheesh, that's not a turn on for me. I'd rather drink beer in a recliner and sort thorugh gunbroker ads
YMMV
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A CMP garand and a used kel-tec .380 are not the same class of "used gun" so maybe my post needs some clarification. I've been in plenty of shops with racks and racks of bullshit wood-stocked .270s for the same price I could pay for a new Tikka. Ya, maybe there's a gem in there but sheesh, that's not a turn on for me. I'd rather drink beer in a recliner and sort thorugh gunbroker ads
YMMV
View Quote

In your underwear, I presume . . .
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Idk how anyone making it either. Its too easy to buy online and transfer through my buddy who only does transfers and charges 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I dont run a business, but if you do transfers at a reasonable price, you could at least make some money off online business.

When shops cost $80 for a transfer, I dont usually buy guns there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indoor range
$20 transfers
Open til 7pm
Online presence

the big lgs in my area has a couple on staff, but everything in the store is expensive, like $600 for a used beretta 92fs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't think they approve licenses if you tell them you're just going to do gun shows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't think they approve licenses if you tell them you're just going to do gun shows.

They ask on the application "Do You Intend To Sell Firearms Only at Gun Shows? If yes do not submit application"
This doesn't require you to sell firearms from your licensed premises however.

You have to have some kind of hours when you're open to the public.

No you don't.
The application ask for "business hours". There is no requirement to be "open to the public" whatsoever.
"Business hours" are the time you will devote attention to your business. It is also the times that ATF can conduct a compliance inspection.
There are more than a few kitchen table dealers who never see a customer at their premises, instead conducting all of their sales via the internet or gun shows.

ATF asks the gun show question because they do not issue FFL's for "gun show only".........you must have a licensed premises.
As long as you can legally do business at your proposed licensed premises you can choose to sell at gun shows as your only retail operations.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Home-based FFL is a very bad idea. All you do is transfers, which won't put much coin in your pocket.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Home-based FFL is a very bad idea. All you do is transfers, which won't put much coin in your pocket.  

Really?
I transfer 2,000 guns a year as a home based dealer. It puts SIGNIFICANT coin in my pocket.

You won't be attracting shoppers, just people who have already purchased from someone else.

Not always.
I match any internet sellers price on Glocks and a few other guns. While the customer may use me initially for a transfer, after the first transfer they know what I have (and they do buy).

Home FFLs are also a turn-off to the buyer. It never comes across any better than a flighty set-up and it's ALWAYS awkward and uncomfortable for the buyer to be sitting at your kitchen table filling out forms.

Turn off? That would be funny to the 2,147 customers I've developed in the last six years.
If a home based FFL was such a turn off I don't think I would be doing 2,000 guns a year.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#40]
For your used inventory, sell on Gunbroker with NO RESERVE with excellent pictures and good description.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Really?
I transfer 2,000 guns a year as a home based dealer. It puts SIGNIFICANT coin in my pocket.

Not always.
I match any internet sellers price on Glocks and a few other guns. While the customer may use me initially for a transfer, after the first transfer they know what I have (and they do buy).

Turn off? That would be funny to the 2,147 customers I've developed in the last six years.
If a home based FFL was such a turn off I don't think I would be doing 2,000 guns a year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

You won't be attracting shoppers, just people who have already purchased from someone else.

Not always.

Home FFLs are also a turn-off to the buyer. It never comes across any better than a flighty set-up and it's ALWAYS awkward and uncomfortable for the buyer to be sitting at your kitchen table filling out forms.

Then you are awesome.  Congratulations.

Most homers are not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Indoor range
$20 transfers
Open til 7pm
Online presence
View Quote

Minus a few things above, that is basically scottsdale gun club - it's always busy in there.  Their prices are higher than they should be most of the time for new stuff, but stuff seems to sell anyway...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Indoor range
$20 transfers
Open til 7pm
Online presence
View Quote

I agree with everything but your comment on used guns............For three big reasons:
1. They have larger profit margins than new guns.
2. Consignment guns will have customers come in to see whats new.
3. When was the last time you saw a new Colt Woodsman, S&W Registered Magnum or a Remington Rand 1911?
Folks will regularly cruise pawnshops and gun stores looking for old guns.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Most homers are not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Not always.

Most homers are not.

No need to get snotty.
Heck on the Texas HTF there are dozens of kitchen table dealers that have a happy and loyal clientele. They offer transfers cheaper, are professional and have hundreds of satisfied customers. I'm sure other states have great home based dealers as well.

Just because you haven't found one doesn't mean they don't exist.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can you share some insight as to you make people feel comfortable or combat that "awkward and uncomfortable" feeling?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Can you share some insight as to you make people feel comfortable or combat that "awkward and uncomfortable" feeling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell if I know, I just invite them in, offer them a seat at my dining room table and hand them a 4473.
A smile and "How are ya?" shouldn't make someone uncomfortable should it?

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hell if I know, I just invite them in, offer them a seat at my dining room table and hand them a 4473.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. I bought my Scar from a home based dealer and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Yes it was different but I liked the transaction and may go back for more in the future.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol. I bought my Scar from a home based dealer and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Yes it was different but I liked the transaction and may go back for more in the future.
View Quote

I could see how it could be weird though . . .
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1    
    Maybe it's a difference in local culture.  I wouldn't want to be a buyer sitting amongst the toast crumbs with the kids watching cartoons in the next room.  
     As a seller I wouldn't want strangers in my home scoping it out, especially when they can assume I'm sitting on a nice stash of inventory.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Depends on your area. I've become great friends with the owner and workers at one of the many local gun shops in my area, they are are constantly busy SELLING firearms and accessories. A lot of money goes through that shop on an hourly basis. The owner said his biggest rival is the online shops.
View Quote

Yup...same around my area.  We have 2 local gun stores that are continuously busy and its not just window shoppers taking up the sales men's time.  People are buying guns and just about everything else firearm related.  I see a lot of paperwork being signed and have noticed more and more first time handgun purchasers....women mostly.

People I have talked to do not like whats going on in the streets of our country with thousands of blacks calling for death to cops.  I believe many are worried that cops are going to stop responding leaving many homes and families defenseless.  

No one is waiting for the other shoe to drop.  They are arming themselves now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top