Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2014 11:08:02 AM EDT
One of the local Walmarts has Mini's normally priced at about $625.
With 20% off, they would be about $500 + tax.
Are they worth a shot at that price?
I know, most say the Mini is a piece of shit, but for some reason, I find myself always wanting one when I see the display at Walmart.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a fan, even at $500
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Brand new not bad, I have two of them, funny thing, my women have liked them better than an AR
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally would love to try one at some point.  And that's a pretty darn good deal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless it's a must have deal for you. Right now not including a lower receiver, ALMOST every vendor is selling a parts kit carbine build for $3 - 499. Throw in the bushmaster lr from brownells for $40, or an anderson unit. That's a complete AR for $5-600 Tops. Include AR mags are just about a dime a dozen, versus mini mags.

However for BAN STATE gun owners, why not.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
There is never a good time to try a mini 14.

But like others have said the ar15 is so cheap now why would you waste money on a mini 14
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Its never a good time to try a shotgun 14.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Had a mini and sold it. All it was, was a fun mag dump gun. My 3 complaints are mags suck, I only had good luck with ruger; the barrel is paper thin; you could buy an ar or 2 with what'd you spend to make the mini a shooter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I too for some reason kinda want to buy a mini, but I'd not pay a whole lot for one.  At $400 I'd consider it, but more than that I'll pass
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally would love to try one at some point.  And that's a pretty darn good deal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I like mine as does everyone else I know who actually has one. There is nothing wrong with obtaining a firearm just because you want to. Naturally, on the AR15 site, people will tell you to get one of those. Yes, minis can be picky about mags(mine isn't in the least). The mag situation has gotten better in the last few years. I don't have an issue finding them. Some have also had accuracy issues, but again mine hasn't. I have had no problem hitting the 500 meter gong at a local range, which is perfectly fine in the accuracy department. No they're not usually sub-moa rifles, but neither are a chunk of the off the shelf ARs out there. If you end up looking used, do some homework first, there are some older models out there that can be hard to get stocks, parts, etc for, and ruger doesn't support anymore(granted that would be about like expecting colt to support your 1975 SP1).
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a good deal, but if you haven't already picked it up yet I'll bet every Walmart in the country is already sold out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought one because I have 5 ARs and wanted something different.  I agree with most and believe it is expensive for what it is.  I still like it and have no plans on getting rid of it.  I have a newer "tactical" model with the conventional stock.   I think a Mini with a pistol grip looks odd and unnatural.   Go browse Perfect Union for all things Mini-14.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan, even at $500
View Quote

The Mini is the single most underwhelming rifle I've ever fired.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Friends don’t let friends buy Mini-14s…

They are handy rifles, but they don’t tend to be as accurate as ARs...

Only Ruger factory magazines were reliable for me...

I had one for 15 years before getting rid of it.  It was just taking up space in the safe and collecting dust…
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Friends don’t let friends buy Mini-14s...
View Quote

I don't own one, but I've put many rounds through a friend's Mini-14. Not impressed by any means, especially for price tag.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Love my Mini's---even took advantage of the Walmart deal this year.

Own both AR's and Mini's and always seem to have more fun with the Mini.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd take a Mini-14 over a 556 AK any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't buy a Mini-14 for $50. On the one I shot, accuracy was shit, the trigger was exceptionally gritty, and the action had the most mechanical-feeling (i.e. not smooth) feeling I'd ever experienced.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Why not use the discount to get an AR in .308? Maybe a good shotgun, AR in .223, bolt gun hunting rifle, or .22. I guess anything but a mini. Why waste a good discount on a mini 14?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

...snip...
View Quote

The Ruger Mini-14 is the Springfield Armory XD of the rifle world.

So screwed up that they go together.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Im not joining in on the 14 sucks or is good discussion... I would just say, i never understood the point of wanting that over an AR15. And discount or no, id just get an AR and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I could still pick an AR for that price as has already been posted - no thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Yea that is a good price for a new Mini.  I really like them and have not had the accuracy problems that others always say they have.

Give it a try.  They are fun shooters.  Like larger 10/22.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Im not joining in on the 14 sucks or is good discussion... I would just say, i never understood the point of wanting that over an AR15. And discount or no, id just get an AR and be done with it.
View Quote

I wonder if walmart has the Mini 30.  That one intrigues me also.  But if I ever did buy a mini it would probably be in 5.56 because I don't really want another caliber to stock up.  

I still think it would be a fun rifle.  Even if accuracy isn't super stellar.  But maybe not.  I think I want a bolt action 5.56 more though.  I just really like traditionally stocked rifles as apposed to pistol gripped ones.  They feel much better to me.  I'm not sure why or what the deal is, but they feel so much better that AR's can tend to feel awkward to me.  Or anything not traditionally stocked.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Believe it or not, different people like different stuff.  I like the traditional wood stock and the operating system. They are a lot of fun to shoot too!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...snip...

So screwed up that they go together.
at least you have the 5 inch XD.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#30]
FWIW- I checked out Walmart's Black Friday gun deals (Wife loves to do the whole early morning Black Friday thing) and honestly, they were not all that great. I saw nothing cheaper (or within $10) than buying online (wait for the right deal) and shipping to a friendly FFL.

They would be worth it if you didn't have to deal with Walmart's policy of finding three complete idiots with no understanding of the legal process for selling a gun to soak up an hour of your time and then carry your purchase to your vehicle with the assumption that you are likely to shoot up their store with your new purchase if they didn't take this precaution.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

FWIW- I checked out Walmart's Black Friday gun deals (Wife loves to do the whole early morning Black Friday thing) and honestly, they were not all that great. I saw nothing cheaper (or within $10) than buying online (wait for the right deal) and shipping to a friendly FFL.

They would be worth it if you didn't have to deal with Walmart's policy of finding three complete idiots with no understanding of the legal process for selling a gun to soak up an hour of your time and then carry your purchase to your vehicle with the assumption that you are likely to shoot up their store with your new purchase if they didn't take this precaution.
View Quote
That's cool. Where can I get a NIB Mini-14 within $10 of $501?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top