Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2014 7:07:03 PM EDT
Back maybe 8 years ago, I know that Springfield Armory was making new production M1 Garands.

What happened to that?

Nowadays,, where can I get something pretty much close to new?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Civilian Marksmanship Program. You are looking for one of their Special Grade Garands.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Civilian Marksmanship Program. You are looking for one of their Special Grade Garands.

View Quote

+1, best bet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1, best bet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, best bet.

Yep! I love my CMP special.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, best bet.

These.

It's the ONLY place to buy a Garand.  You don't have to worry about rewelds or any other number of concerns.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to ask a really stupid question, but is the Civilian Marksmanship Program really a marksmanship program, or is that just a leftover name of days of old and today it's essentially a rifle company?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not to ask a really stupid question, but is the Civilian Marksmanship Program really a marksmanship program, or is that just a leftover name of days of old and today it's essentially a rifle company?

View Quote

Absolutely.  Their main focus is on marksmanship, but you rarely hear of it because it doesn't hit the news, and most people don't talk about it on the forums.  All people want to talk about when it comes to the CMP is the fact that they sell Garands.  But there's ALOT more than that.  They just recently built an expensive shooting range in Alabama just for marksmanship.

In a couple years they will have run out of M1 garand rifles.  After that they will be purely marksmanship oriented.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you look at the website?  The major headers include Safety, Competitions, Clubs, Air Gun, Training and Tech, Competition Tracker, Competition Rule Book, Club Sanctioned Events, List after list of National and other matches.  I would say the sales section comprises about 10% of what they have on the website and what they actually do.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Absolutely.  Their main focus is on marksmanship, but you rarely hear of it because it doesn't hit the news, and most people don't talk about it on the forums.  All people want to talk about when it comes to the CMP is the fact that they sell Garands.  But there's ALOT more than that.  They just recently built an expensive shooting range in Alabama just for marksmanship.

In a couple years they will have run out of M1 garand rifles.  After that they will be purely marksmanship oriented.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that range?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where is that range?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that range?

Anniston- Talladega.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Anniston- Talladega.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that range?

Anniston- Talladega.

Camp perry is nationals too. ( not built but used)
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that range?

Anniston- Talladega.

Talladega Marksmanship Park
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that range?

Anniston- Talladega.

I went to cmp.org after you mentioned the range.  I never knew it existed.

Apparently, it's open even if you just want to go shoot and it's out to 600.  I would rather it be longer but I might just have to go there and do some shooting.

ETA:  this having to edit out some of the post because of the limits is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:...

ETA:  this having to edit out some of the post because of the limits is ridiculous.
View Quote

Yeah, if they are going to do that stupid crap, they should just change the settings so only the post you are quoting is captured when you quote, not the whole chain.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, if they are going to do that stupid crap, they should just change the settings so only the post you are quoting is captured when you quote, not the whole chain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That sounds reasonable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds reasonable.

I reallllllly wish they'd do that. It gets annoying seeing those chains build up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I reallllllly wish they'd do that. It gets annoying seeing those chains build up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds reasonable.

It's hard to cut those down.  Either you get "you have too many open quotes" or something like that OR you wind up being quoted as saying something you didn't.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:00:01 AM EDT
[#17]
There are four unissued Garands in EE right now.

Probably as good as it gets if you can pony up the money.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a turd of an M1 gifted to me.  It wouldn't cycle reliably, everything was loose, wood was from three different rifles and the finish was "touched up" by somebody.  Oh, and the barrel was shot out. I sent it off to James River Armory and it is a thing of beauty now.  I love shooting it!  I'll take pics later.  

Basically, don't be put off by ugly garands because they can be rebuilt into shooters.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
For a restored to "new" condition rifle that you can actually shoot without fear of destroying the "collector value" the James River Armory M1 Garand is a good option. They are not cheap but they are nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For a restored to "new" condition rifle that you can actually shoot without fear of destroying the "collector value" the James River Armory M1 Garand is a good option. They are not cheap but they are nicely done.
View Quote

Cool, great info, thanks!

Any idea on how their quality is compared to CMP?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top