Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2014 11:47:37 AM EDT
I've got a Gibbs repro '03A4 that broke the stock inside at the recoil lug area. Broke a big chunk off and pushed it against the front of the magazine. So the stock is fubar and I'm considering putting it in something besides another military style C stock. I've looked at Boyds, Ramline and Bell and Carlson. I'd prefer to put it in a synthetic stock. Is anyone else out there making 1903 stocks I could look at that I might not have considered? Thx.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay away from Ramline unless you want to break it too. I had one crack in 2 on a small frame Mauser. Very cheap!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stay away from Ramline unless you want to break it too. I had one crack in 2 on a small frame Mauser. Very cheap!
View Quote
+1 on this.  RamLine is of VERY dubious quality.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've got a Gibbs repro '03A4 that broke the stock inside at the recoil lug area. Broke a big chunk off and pushed it against the front of the magazine. So the stock is fubar and I'm considering putting it in something besides another military style C stock. I've looked at Boyds, Ramline and Bell and Carlson. I'd prefer to put it in a synthetic stock. Is anyone else out there making 1903 stocks I could look at that I might not have considered? Thx.
View Quote

I've been looking around for a laminate for the 03 series....and all of the synthetics get bad reviews...so far as I have found.

I have considered calling Boyd's for a custom laminate 03 C type but I shudder to think at the cost of a one off.....and my C stock took a YEAR to get when I ordered it from them.  I am glad that you shared your experience.  When I bed my 03 I am going to fiber re-enforce the lug area.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, I have a custom request out at a known maker of laminate rifle stocks.  I specifically asked if they could cut G.I. profile A3, C type stocks and hand guards from their

laminates.  I'll let you know if they contact me and what they say.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Update:  NO GO. Gonna try Boyd's.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm kind of leaning towards a non military stock at this point. I've thought about putting it in a sporter or target stock if I can find one. I figure it is and always will be a reactivated drill rifle anyway, so I'm not really destroying much originality. Did you say you waited a year to receive a stock from Boyds?  I wonder if it would take that long for a different type of stock.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm kind of leaning towards a non military stock at this point. I've thought about putting it in a sporter or target stock if I can find one. I figure it is and always will be a reactivated drill rifle anyway, so I'm not really destroying much originality. Did you say you waited a year to receive a stock from Boyds?  I wonder if it would take that long for a different type of stock.
View Quote
The best way to order a Boyd's is to find one in stock at a distributor.  Ordering direct is a LENGTHY process.  It took ANOTHER 6 MONTHS to get the hand guard from them.  Also, their handguards do not have, nor are they cut for the hand guard liners.  There's MORE inletting for me to do.  Yay!

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
By the way...are you good at woodworking?  You could route and bed that broken area with glass bedding.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Boyds had a c-stock on clearance for $70 so that wins by price alone. See how long it takes to arrive.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well Boyds had a c-stock on clearance for $70 so that wins by price alone. See how long it takes to arrive.
View Quote
NICE!  Mine is a really nice piece of wood...I just haven't finished it yet.

If it turns out half as good as this one that I did last year, I'll be happy:

']

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top