Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 8:08:40 PM EDT
I finished up milling an 80% billet lower this week and was trying to figure out what size bbl and gas system.

I decided to go with a 20"  "A4 Clone"

Lower is 80% arms 7075-T6 Billet

Upper is Aero Precision

Bbl is Wyndham Weaponry 20"

Reason? I was going with the MOE fixed stock (which I love BTW) because when I shoot my carbine, i shoot with the stock fully extended... just how I like it. I did some measuring and the 20" is only a few inches longer than my 16 and is much softer shooting with the rifle system.

New 20" With 16" Stock fully extended

With 16" partially extended

With 16" Fully Compact
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished a 20" also and love it. Mega upper and lower, CMMG parts kit, with a 15" KeyMod from M.I. and a Green Mountain 1/8 twist barrel. Shoots better then I can.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice build.   I like the MOE rifle stock too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I did some measuring and the 20" is only a few inches longer than my 16
View Quote

Would you say it was about 4" longer? I'm sorry, but that made me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually no. when I have the 16" stock fully extended, it's OAL is about 37-1/4,  my 20" OAL is 39-5/8
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Actually no. when I have the 16" stock fully extended, it's OAL is about 37-1/4,  my 20" OAL is 39-5/8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wasn't the point, but alright. Looks good.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i got ya. just realized you were making a joke
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Some might poo poo the point about a rifle shooting softer than a carbine.  Citing that a 5.56 has no recoil and real men wouldn't care.  But the fact is, I enjoy shooting a rifle better also.  I can't always tell if it's nostalgia or what, but I just do.  Nice build.  I'm more of a traditionalist, but I bet that stock pretty comfy.  How do you like the ACOG?  I'm totally jealous.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice. I have a 20" BCM upper on a PSA lower that looks much like yours, with the exception of an MOE collapsible stock. Very comfortable setup. I like it as much as my 16".
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some might poo poo the point about a rifle shooting softer than a carbine.  Citing that a 5.56 has no recoil and real men wouldn't care.  But the fact is, I enjoy shooting a rifle better also.  I can't always tell if it's nostalgia or what, but I just do.  Nice build.  I'm more of a traditionalist, but I bet that stock pretty comfy.  How do you like the ACOG?  I'm totally jealous.  

View Quote

I LOVE it. it makes shooting out to 600  much much easier than with standard irons, and better at close range than a regular rifle scope (<100m using the BAC takes some practice)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Boy howdy!  I love that rifle!!!!  That is SWEEET!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Put the collapsible stock on the 20"er and you'd have a winner.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]
beautiful rifles.  You need  a bayonet  and you should sell that carpet to help pay for it.

I too love my 20"s and A ta31 makes them sing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I LOVE it. it makes shooting out to 600  much much easier than with standard irons, and better at close range than a regular rifle scope (<100m using the BAC takes some practice)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now if I could only find one for about a 1/4 of the price.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a CTR on mine. Its ok
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a CTR on my 20" build for a while and it didn't balance very well.  I have since put a UBR on it and it works really well and balances much better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I had a CTR on my 20" build for a while and it didn't balance very well.  I have since put a UBR on it and it works really well and balances much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have been more specific.  LMT Sopmod Collapsible.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't like the balance with a sopmod either, personally.
My only AR is currently an M16A4 semi-clone.
The fixed stock doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I for 1 found your subtle comedy humorous, providing a chuckle on this otherwise mundane wednesday.

As for the OP's slightly larger in length AR. Looks good. Now start working up some loads to optimize it's potential.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in the process of assembling 3 more 20" rifles, all A2,A4 and A1's as I love the looks and feel. I have long monkey arms and a 20 incher fits and balances nicer then a shorter barrel.

Now I do have some with barrels from 11.5 to 14.7" but my go to gun is my 20" A4.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Nothing wrong with a 20" AR.  All of the carbine mentality in the civilian sector is mostly owed to slick marketing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I love 20s.
Nice rifle OP.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got you, it was funny.

Anyways, nice rifles dude.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#25]
You did the right thing; you need both! Very nice rifle
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I am looking at building the same with a 18" barrel. Already have a NM A2

I was looking a using the NM free float tube under the MOE handguards. That way nobody would expect that barrel was free floated
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I I was only going to have one AR it would be a 20
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#29]
20 is the new 16.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
20 is the new 16.  
View Quote

While I'll never get rid of my carbines , I've always preferred the 20" barrels .

Fox
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I love shooting my 20" 1-7" barreled AR. It is my favorite at the moment. I bought the barrel on sale from CMMG quite some time ago. It is a very accurate barrel with Sierra 77g OTM projectiles.
The MOE furniture set is very comfortable on it also.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
20 is the new 16.  
View Quote

About 5 years ago you would've started a flame war that lasted days and eventually would've been banned for that kind of blasphemy.  In fact, the only way you're getting away with it right now is because your not in AR discussions.  LOL.  Although it does seem like when a lot of people went over to TOS, it calmed down a little about this.  And I don't just mean YOU per se, as there are others that are in agreement.

Personally, I like the rifles a lot.  So.. I'm with you.  Whether or not it's more popular than a carbine, I'd say were still pretty far from that.  

But as long as I've been coming to this site, this topic comes up time and again.  And I say the only reason it does is because rifles do have their upsides and some people seem to get that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#34]
looks great!  guess the only real question is.. aside from accuracy..do you notice any real difference with it while using.  like mobility or weight?  i would think not.. i too want a 20" with fixed stock.  have been looking for a while but just not into the whole "build" my own.  wish there were more 20's on the market.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
looks great!  guess the only real question is.. aside from accuracy..do you notice any real difference with it while using.  like mobility or weight?  i would think not.. i too want a 20" with fixed stock.  have been looking for a while but just not into the whole "build" my own.  wish there were more 20's on the market.
View Quote

Aside from a tad more weight in the front, my 16" mid-length and 20" Government Profile rifle handle about the same. I can get my hand out further on handguard on the rifle, so that helps offset the slight difference. Accuracy is the same for both. For confined spaces, I wouldn't consider the 20". Aside from that, it's a wash.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
About 5 years ago you would've started a flame war that lasted days and eventually would've been banned for that kind of blasphemy.  In fact, the only way you're getting away with it right now is because your not in AR discussions.  LOL.  Although it does seem like when a lot of people went over to TOS, it calmed down a little about this.  And I don't just mean YOU per se, as there are others that are in agreement.

Personally, I like the rifles a lot.  So.. I'm with you.  Whether or not it's more popular than a carbine, I'd say were still pretty far from that.  

But as long as I've been coming to this site, this topic comes up time and again.  And I say the only reason it does is because rifles do have their upsides and some people seem to get that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

20 is the new 16.  

Hell I don't give a shit.  The 20incher has many positives and im comfortable with it.       Long live the AR rifle!!   20Inch baby!!

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#37]
you cant really consider length when you use 2 different stocks.
With same stock its 4 inch difference,
The advantage to something being 4 inches shorter has to do with its use.

The advantage to a collapsible stock is that if you put on body armor you can adjust for the thickness.
So, even though you like it fully extended it will be too far out when you wear thick clothes or armor.

The advantage to a shorter barrel is for CQB
if your clearing a house the stock can closed to get in close and 4 inches makes a big difference.
also if you plan to suppress it will be very long and much more front heavy

If you're using it as a bench gun or sniping you'll be fine but you're limiting the functionality of it

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I've owned numerous 16" and 20" rifles over the years, with my latest Grendel acquisition I decided to split the difference and go with my first 18".
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
you cant really consider length when you use 2 different stocks.
With same stock its 4 inch difference,
The advantage to something being 4 inches shorter has to do with its use.

The advantage to a collapsible stock is that if you put on body armor you can adjust for the thickness.
So, even though you like it fully extended it will be too far out when you wear thick clothes or armor.

The advantage to a shorter barrel is for CQB
if your clearing a house the stock can closed to get in close and 4 inches makes a big difference.
also if you plan to suppress it will be very long and much more front heavy

If you're using it as a bench gun or sniping you'll be fine but you're limiting the functionality of it

View Quote

CQB you point the 20" rifle from your hip.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I hope that's sarcastic.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got a 20" colt A4. Good choice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top