Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2014 9:09:16 PM EDT
I've got a very nice example of both guns, the M1 is correct to 1944 and the '03 dates from the '30's (IIRC). Both are in excellent shape and both wear the original finish on thier stocks complete with 'character' bumps, dents etc. I do not want to refinish or strip either and am looking for advice on what to do to refresh the original or 'as acquired' shape.
Neither are dried out nor cracked and I'm wondering if a thinned linseed oil rub down will harm or enhance the wood. Could this be seen as 'refinish' or at this point in time, as long as I don't go overboard, would this be considered just maintanence of the stock finish?
I don't want to do anything to either to affect the value or aesthetics of either, just don't want them to sit and dry out or deteriorate.
I see lots of sites and advice for a complete refinish but that's not what I'm after.
Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks,
RD
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked the CMP forums?  The "How-To's" section has good advice, and they might have the answer you're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Oiling those stocks is considered maintenance. They are supposed to be oil occasionally.
If they get dirty you can clean them with Simple Green or similar cleaner, and a Scotch Brite pad gets grime out of the pores in the wood.
I personally believe the "character" dings and dents are mostly from being stored for decades.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You can make a cleaner with a 50/50 mix of blo and turpentine.  This removes dirt, grease and grim.  Follow up a day later with a coat of blo, allow the blo to soak in for 20-30 minutes then wipe dry.

1903a3 Remington cleaned with the above method.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
BLO. idk if thats historically accurate though. if youre into that kind of thing
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BLO. idk if thats historically accurate though. if youre into that kind of thing
View Quote

It is, I use it, and then a week or so later I usually rub them down with Johnson's paste wax, brings out the figure in the wood a bit more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

BLO is what was originally used.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Tom's 1/3 Mix

Stock Cleaner

Typically, you can put this mixture in a 20 oz. water bottle, some disfiguring of the bottle will
occur, but it should be good for quite some time.

4 ounces of De-natured Alcohol
4 ounces of Turpentine
4 ounces of Raw Linseed Oil (I never tried BLO)
and 1 ounce of Ammonia

When using it on the stock, scrub with steel wool or possibly a green scratchy. How dirty the
stock is, will determine how many times you have to use it. Typically, for a M1 Garrand Stock
from Korea - you know the really grungy ones, it will take 2 or 3 "treatments". Wipe the stock
with a disposable rag with Mineral Spirits in between applications. Also, let the stock set for a
day between treatments - you are using Linseed Oil here.

Due to the Linseed Oil, your stock is pretty much "Finished" when you're done cleaning it. A
quick go over with my 1/3 Mix and you'll be done. If you have any questions or suggestions, as
always, feel free to email them to me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
HOWARDS FEED AND WAX
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-FW0016-Feed-N-Wax-Conditioner-16-Ounce/dp/B001BKQYGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416435184&sr=8-1&keywords=howards+feed-n-wax
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#9]

BLO is a pain to use and takes a lot of time although it is the original finish.
A lot of people who want to refinish a milsurp without the trouble use a tung oil finish- not straight tung oil. It gives sn authentic looking finish that is easier to use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top