Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Give me an upper and lower so I can build one, that looks like a perfect setup. Oh and a place to put a aimpoint t-1
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Just heard back from Josh at Stormwerkz.  Looks like the folding adaptors will be coming back in stock in about a month for whoever needs them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know what you're saying.

But based on my years in the industry, it has become very apparent that people like guns with external texture and contours.

If you made something smooth and utilitarian like the old Bushmaster Rifle or the Leader it will flop.

Cometics are important.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know, you guys can release a modernized AR180b lower, and use the existing upper, or even eventually build up a full rifle using AR18 upper assemblies and other AR parts. The HK G36 and even ACR doesn't stray too far from the AR180b formula, so you can make a great rifle using AR180b system as its heart.

The current lower looks pretty good, but there's no real point to emulate the AR180b since it will never match the originals in the looks department as this will always be an alloy lower. Therefore, you might as well just go big and make the AR180b basic rifle something more than what it was. Personally I'd rather buy a modern AR180b lower with streamlined lower and grip form outline and use a comfy skeleton side folder. This way you'll get a great piston rifle out of the old AR180b.

I know what you're saying.

But based on my years in the industry, it has become very apparent that people like guns with external texture and contours.

If you made something smooth and utilitarian like the old Bushmaster Rifle or the Leader it will flop.

Cometics are important.

Charles St. George said he was thinking about bring the the Leader T2 back into production, I hope he does not go all tacticool. The MPAR already fills that slot!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I personally really like the original Leader and would love to have a new, US made version.

View Quote

Me too, I recently bought an MPAR but what I really wanted was a Leader I'll either buy a new if they are made, or end up getting a original. It is on my list right next to an AR-180
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That's true about the Leader, people nowadays do like their "good looking guns". Just like all the AR options. It's like men all turn into their wives when it comes to accessorizing their AR haha. And another case and point, one thing that made SPAS12 impressive was its cooling slots, not the semi/pump swap.

How about design something cool for the AR180b? What makes a rifle look "mean and cool"? That's what needed to make the AR180b into a 21st century rifle.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What makes a rifle look "mean and cool"?
View Quote

Arnold Schwarzenegger.  That's all the AR18 ever needed to mean and cool!  
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
It would be cool if an AR18S upper was to be available.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The patents are LOOOOOOONG expired.

Nobody (except some crazy MN boys) are going to tool up for a gun that didn't sell that well in the first place.  

ETA: It would be very difficult to use AR handguards with the AR-180 piston. It will have to be a purpose designed handguard system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems to be a darn good rifle that never got it's due. At 6lbs, it's lighter off the shelf than most AR's. What they're asking for them today isn't much out of line IMO, I'd probably pay it if I were in the market for one. They used to be plentiful on Gunbroker, but alas, I only see them every once in a while now.

If Armalite isn't going to resurrect the platform, then they should get off the pot and sell the patent, because I bet there's a company out there willing to take it to it's full potential.

Nobody (except some crazy MN boys) are going to tool up for a gun that didn't sell that well in the first place.  

ETA: It would be very difficult to use AR handguards with the AR-180 piston. It will have to be a purpose designed handguard system.

Mike: Don't blame me.  I bought two of them and still have them and one of the two will end up on the new receiver I recently bought from you.

I might also buy one of the upper kits you mention making and install a quality chromed barrel assembly into it.

Why not?  I don't need to spend any more money on conventional AR-15s.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mike: Don't blame me.  I bought two of them and still have them and one of the two will end up on the new receiver I recently bought from you.

I might also buy one of the upper kits you mention making and install a quality chromed barrel assembly into it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems to be a darn good rifle that never got it's due. At 6lbs, it's lighter off the shelf than most AR's. What they're asking for them today isn't much out of line IMO, I'd probably pay it if I were in the market for one. They used to be plentiful on Gunbroker, but alas, I only see them every once in a while now.

If Armalite isn't going to resurrect the platform, then they should get off the pot and sell the patent, because I bet there's a company out there willing to take it to it's full potential.

I can't imagine that it would take much to form the upper receiver out of sheet metal if you are going to do it like the Leader. In that rifle there are no ridges or beads in the sheet metal, and the ejection port is really the only cut out, otherwise it is a piece of square tubing. The AR-180 has two beads pressed or rolled into it on the EP side. Everything else could be made on a CNC maching. Just some random thoughts in my head
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as we are sharing our Christmas lists, I really need a selector switch for the 180B.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's true about the Leader, people nowadays do like their "good looking guns".\
View Quote

Just want to remind everyone that the MPAR556 is basically an updated Leader Dynamics T2 Mk5 gun...
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just want to remind everyone that the MPAR556 is basically an updated Leader Dynamics T2 Mk5 gun...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's true about the Leader, people nowadays do like their "good looking guns".\

I have one I am playing with right now, trying to un-tacticool it. Looking to add an ACE skeleton to it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I would love to see an update AR18 with a top rail, an adaptor to take the ACR folding stock, and new forearm.  Basically, I am looking for something similar to the new Japanese Howa Type 89 upgrade that is being purposed.  If something similar to this could be made I would buy one in a heartbeat.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/06/modernized-howa-type-89-rifle/
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My intention is to make an upper kit that people can add an AR15 carbine barrel to and build their own upper.
View Quote

You guys are simply awesome!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
My NDS-18S lower is already off at Orion Arms getting my trust name engraved on it so I can get my SBR paperwork in on it.

Once those upper kits are available, planning on going with a barrel around 10.3 to 11.5.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Mike,
Picked up my nds18 receiver yesterday, I must say BRAVO!  You guys did an excellent job on these, the fit with my Costa Mesa upper is fantastic, and the lower parts fit was just as good.  I would highly recommend your products to anyone who asks.  The only downside is I can't shoot the girl yet because I haven't been able to find a selector switch so I'm eagerly waiting to see if you end up making any.  Good job!  [;)

P.S.  If you decide to make a run on a BHO, I'll scoop one of those up in a second.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Doesn't the 180B use standard AR15 FCG?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as we are sharing our Christmas lists, I really need a selector switch for the 180B.

Not across the board, hammer, trigger, disconnecter, and mag catch are the same.  The 180B receiver is wider so the 15 selector won't fit (too small).
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have one I am playing with right now, trying to un-tacticool it. Looking to add an ACE skeleton to it.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/poorman_photo/101_1324_zpsdd76283b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Skeleton stock and slimmer, sleek hand guard and that mpar would be pretty cool. How do you like it?
They're not badly priced if they work well!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Skeleton stock and slimmer, sleek hand guard and that mpar would be pretty cool. How do you like it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am trying to figure out how to install a skeleton stock. The hand guard is another story, not sure how one can be fitted. I like it so far, there are things I would have done differently, but, I don't own a production facility
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would love to see an update AR18 with a top rail, an adaptor to take the ACR folding stock, and new forearm.  Basically, I am looking for something similar to the new Japanese Howa Type 89 upgrade that is being purposed.  If something similar to this could be made I would buy one in a heartbeat.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/06/modernized-howa-type-89-rifle/
View Quote

Holy crap, that is awesome. I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not across the board, hammer, trigger, disconnecter, and mag catch are the same.  The 180B receiver is wider so the 15 selector won't fit (too small).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be an easy fix if the only difference is the overall length.... If the selectors are in fact the same, someone could approach Battle Arms Development to have them make AR180 specific selectors that have modified selector switches that are a little longer than needed for the AR15. The center portion will stay the same but the bolt on ends that have the thumb switch arms that screw on would just be a little taller.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag, very interested in an upper kit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have a recommendation on where I can send my 180B upper to have the scope mount plate??? re tacked onto the receiver and barrel cut/threaded. Prefer a one stop shop.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top