Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 5:59:31 PM EDT
Ok guys so I have about $0-$1500 to spend on a new rifle or pcc and I am wondering what to add to my collection. I'm open to all ideas but I already have a pretty extensive and eclectic collection so i'll list a few ideas of what i want and let you have at it. Always open to new ideas also.

PTR91 - Because this and an M1a would pretty much complete my battle rifles of the cold war collection
M1A- See Above
AR180 - Because i've always wanted one, although it would probably end up being a safe queen
JRC 9mm - a PCC that takes the same mags as my glock! Yes please <-unsure on pricing for these though my local gunstore has two ($799-$899) pricing seems high.
VZ2008 - Because they are on sale at PSA for $399 and i can buy a metric shit ton of ammo for this and my AK with the left over funds.

other things on the wish list would potentially be an ARX100 or an AUG but i'm not so desperate on those right now.

Then again i could just put the funds towards the Desert Tech MDR (I'm a big bullpup fan) or the Galil Ace whenever those come out....

It should be noted if i can avoid spending the whole wad i would prefer to do that, because well hell i'm cheap and I like ammo as much as my rifles.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
PTR91
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I take my firearms collecting from a longevity and utilitarian point of view, and I want the best bang for my buck, so here's my thoughts:

PTR91 - Current production. CHEAP mags. Tough as nails. Current production PTR's have quality modern factory optics mounting solutions. Spare parts being made and available surplused (if you ever need them). My choice pick out of the group.
M1A- Quality forged versions are expensive. Mags are expensive. Spare surplus quality parts are getting thin, aftermarket mostly. Takes extra to mount a scope and accurize if not done already from the factory.
AR180 - "Orphan" firearm. Good luck getting spare parts. Magazines are expensive and exclusive to the platform. I'm not aware of much aftermarket support for the platform.
JRC 9mm - A lot of money for a pistol caliber platform that's the size of a rifle. The mag interchangeability is nice. Great if you're looking for something to interface with your pistol as a truck gun.
VZ2008 - Cheap (right now). Spare parts will dry up, but seem easy enough to find if you dig for a parts kit. Magazines are exclusive to the platform, but relatively affordable (for now). Aftermarket support is so-so, and I have no idea if there are even optic mounts made for it. On the plus side, they are still being allowed for importation by CZ (for now, although expensive compared to the Century version).
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I would pay around $150 more and get Tavor or $1350 ARX100.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
What the other guy said.

If you don't hate bullpups and can stump up $1600, then get a Tavor (it's my favorite rifle)

Or alternatively an arx100 looks intriguing (but I don't have one)
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I take my firearms collecting from a longevity and utilitarian point of view, and I want the best bang for my buck, so here's my thoughts:

PTR91 - Current production. CHEAP mags. Tough as nails. Current production PTR's have quality modern factory optics mounting solutions. Spare parts being made and available surplused (if you ever need them). My choice pick out of the group.
M1A- Quality forged versions are expensive. Mags are expensive. Spare surplus quality parts are getting thin, aftermarket mostly. Takes extra to mount a scope and accurize if not done already from the factory.
AR180 - "Orphan" firearm. Good luck getting spare parts. Magazines are expensive and exclusive to the platform. I'm not aware of much aftermarket support for the platform.
JRC 9mm - A lot of money for a pistol caliber platform that's the size of a rifle. The mag interchangeability is nice. Great if you're looking for something to interface with your pistol as a truck gun.
VZ2008 - Cheap (right now). Spare parts will dry up, but seem easy enough to find if you dig for a parts kit. Magazines are exclusive to the platform, but relatively affordable (for now). Aftermarket support is so-so, and I have no idea if there are even optic mounts made for it. On the plus side, they are still being allowed for importation by CZ (for now, although expensive compared to the Century version).
View Quote

+1 to everything this guy said. He pretty much thinks like me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys. Already have a Tavor, it's my go to rifle Ended up picking the PTR91 should be a fun range toy if nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
M1A - best battle rifle ever made IMO.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A ptr-91 would be a nice addition for a collection for sure I doubt you will be sorry . I n the future when you cross this bridge again you might give some serious thought to a pcc . I waffled back and forth for a long time and finnaly bought a beretta storm to go with my 92 and use it quite a bit . Its nice to grab a six pack magazine pouch and have mags for both guns .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top