Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 8:28:59 PM EDT
I have had my heart set on a Beretta ARX 100, but I got a quote from a dealer and he said he could get me one $1510.  I guess that is not a bad deal, but I find myself pausing there.  I have a complete lower and a CMT BCG that I could use to finish a SBR and probably still have enough left for a decent optic.  I really want the ARX, but I really don't want to pay that much.  This will not be an issue after I win the Mega Millions tomorrow.  What sayeth the hive.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
ARX.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ARX.
View Quote

I want to.  Perhaps Beretta will run a sale!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I would personally much rather have the SBR but if I was set on the ARX I'd get that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say finish your SBR project, because once you get an ARX you might not want to do ARs anymore.

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Get ARX... I did and I love it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I too had a hard-on for the ARX and was gonna buy it but after MACs reviews on YT I gave up on it.

Save your dough for the GALIL ACE !
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I too had a hard-on for the ARX and was gonna buy it but after MACs reviews on YT I gave up on it.

View Quote

That's odd, you must have a reason for giving up on it?

MAC's reviews turned out more positive than negative.

I can't see anything about the new Galil Ace that makes it better than the ARX.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
You can find ARXs for as low as 1399 if you hunt around, I wouldn't pay over 1500 for one any more (I paid north of 1600 for mine at release).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I paid $1329 for mine. But it was a MIL/LE discount.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Hive.  I am now $1510 lighter.  That is OTD too so not that bad of deal.  I will post pics, of course, next weekend when it arrives.  Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like you made the right choice. I found out pretty early on in life it's useless to buy a substitute for what you are really set on - save and buy what you want right the first time, saves you quite a bit of money in the long run
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The ARX is the ugliest rifle i've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not any worse than the SCAR or ACR.

JMO: Out of the three I think the ARX actually looks prettier than either of those two, though it's not about looks it's about features and function, in which the ARX wins again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#14]
ARX.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
ARX and start saving for a short barrel when they come out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have enough semiautos and am saving for silencers.  I dislike the pencil barrel on the arx.  I have a beretta ar 70 pre ban like new, and have never shot it becaus its so nice.  Cant quite pinpoint it but while the arx is damn cool, i just prefer the beatability of the galil series.  I have an ar and arm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw the barrel pulled off and it is thin towards the muzzle and thicker under the handguard?  Unlike a lot of M4's that are thicker from the front sight forward and thin under the handguard.
They kind of look like a flat guppy, but a free one would be cool.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I disliked the pencil barrel too. So I chopped it off.

Mine is now 9.5" long. Still gotta do the gas port work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#20]
HA!

Probably one of the top 3 reasons I like this rifle so much is because they got the profile of the barrel just right.

PS: I am a guy that does not like heavy barrels.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Two things I do not like about the ARX is the trigger. Very heavy and bolt hold open is hard to work. I got mine the first week it was released. I can not get good tight groups because I am spoiled by all the high dollars triggers on my AR's. the switch for the bolt hold open will not catch most of the time. I own a lot of Berretta pistols and love them all. I was hopping for more since I put a deposit all most two years before they finally released.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Two things I do not like about the ARX is the trigger. Very heavy and bolt hold open is hard to work. I got mine the first week it was released. I can not get good tight groups because I am spoiled by all the high dollars triggers on my AR's. the switch for the bolt hold open will not catch most of the time. I own a lot of Berretta pistols and love them all. I was hopping for more since I put a deposit all most two years before they finally released.
View Quote

Do you mean that when you manually try to lock the bolt back it won't lock? Or do you mean after you have fired the last round it won't lock?

What ammo and magazines are you using?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you mean that when you manually try to lock the bolt back it won't lock? Or do you mean after you have fired the last round it won't lock?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory mag or pmags .It holds back on last round but to keep bolt open without mag it is hit or miss
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Factory mag or pmags .It holds back on last round but to keep bolt open without mag it is hit or miss
View Quote

Okay, now I gotta ask, do you have small hands and/or stubby fingers?

I'm not making fun and I mean no disrespect at all. I'm just trying to find out if there is a correlation between being able to operate all of the control features on the ARX and hand/finger size.

For example: I have pretty big hands and long fingers, I can operate all of the control features on the ARX with ease. The safety was stiff at first but with use it feels almost as easy to use as an AR safety now. I can flick it off and on with my thumb but I prefer to flick it back on with my trigger finger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Also, despite them trying, many if the control actions are still different from anAR. For example, if you have a BAD lever on your AR, you can pull the bolt all the way back and engage the bolt catch easily. But on the ARX, I find there is a spongy buffer of some sort at the rear of the bolt travel. So if you pull the bolt back softly to what FEELS like the end of its travel, the catch won't engage. But if you pull the bolt back hard, that spongy buffer will give a bit and the catch can be engaged more reliably. I can do it 100% now but it takes some getting used to. It's hard to make a completely different rifle feel exactly like an AR-15.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Also, despite them trying, many if the control actions are still different from anAR. For example, if you have a BAD lever on your AR, you can pull the bolt all the way back and engage the bolt catch easily. But on the ARX, I find there is a spongy buffer of some sort at the rear of the bolt travel. So if you pull the bolt back softly to what FEELS like the end of its travel, the catch won't engage. But if you pull the bolt back hard, that spongy buffer will give a bit and the catch can be engaged more reliably. I can do it 100% now but it takes some getting used to. It's hard to make a completely different rifle feel exactly like an AR-15.
View Quote

Yes exactly, that spongy buffer feel you describe is the ejector being actuated against the ejection selector plate.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#27]
One of the features on the ARX that I haven't seen talked about is the internal double sided dust cover that sits on the recoil spring.

It moves with the bolt carrier and blocks both sides of the rearward slot for the charging handle. I thought that was pretty neat as that slot is usually left open or partially open on some other designs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let me guess you are one of those guys who thinks anything that doesn't look like an AR-15 is ugly?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#29]
It is amazing how short everyone's memory is.

It is not until recently we have had many choices in firearms.

Yet we find reasons to bash our new choices.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I played with the bolt for about a half a hour. Not one time could I get the bolt to hold back. I have long skinny fingers so working all the controls is not a problem. This really not that big of a deal. I just got to put empty mag in, pull charging handle back and pull mag. I always transport with bolts open.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well I played with the bolt for about a half a hour. Not one time could I get the bolt to hold back. I have long skinny fingers so working all the controls is not a problem. This really not that big of a deal. I just got to put empty mag in, pull charging handle back and pull mag. I always transport with bolts open.
View Quote

Since you're not having a problem locking the bolt back with a mag inserted the problem must be the spring tension on the bolt catch/release assembly. I wonder if some of the early ones might have gotten stronger bolt catch/release springs than newer ones off the line?

What is you're serial number range as compared to mine? (SX021##)

Mine was also early enough that it did not come with the roll pin under the rail.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#32]
SX021XX
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
SX021XX
View Quote

Haha! Isn't that a coincidence.

Our rifles were probably next to each other on the assembly line.

Maybe it will loosen up with use then.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#34]
The arx had what seemed pike the tiniest forend on any rifle ive ever handled, felt like you had to pinch it in your palm instead of resting it there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The arx had what seemed pike the tiniest forend on any rifle ive ever handled, felt like you had to pinch it in your palm instead of resting it there.
View Quote

Well they did shorten the handguards on the ARX-160 A3 and included that change into the ARX-100. That was one thing no one was really happy about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

In an effort to gain more hand space I lopped the rear three slots of the side rails off.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:28:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

and the cheapest made...  I never thought we would get to the point were you could handle an M4 and say, wow that is a sturdy rifle...  

however, this does mean the rimfire clone of the ARX is nearly identical in construction to its centerfire cousin...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

and the cheapest made...  I never thought we would get to the point were you could handle an M4 and say, wow that is a sturdy rifle...  

however, this does mean the rimfire clone of the ARX is nearly identical in construction to its centerfire cousin...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that the plastic molds for the ARX-100's upper receiver are cheap. It is a very complicated looking piece of engineering. The plastic molds for the ARX-160 .22lr upper receiver are much simpler as that upper receiver has both a left and right half but the ARX-100 upper receiver is one piece. Also, the plastic used for the .22 version vs. the real thing is much different.

Actually, all of the engineering that went into the ARX is pretty amazing, the easy left/right eject and quick change barrel. Though I think I am most impressed with it's monolithic polymer upper receiver.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing cheap about it. The thing is solid. The fact that it's polymer is something you need to get over.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#41]

I finally got around to taking some pics.  I have been able to shoot the ARX and my review is pretty much like everyone else's.  The trigger is stiff, but not as bad as others have made it sound.  I was getting 3" groups at 100yds with that 4x Nikon on top with Federal 55grn FMJ.  Nothing to brag about, but I am very happy with it.  I need a better scope on it, but that will have to wait.  No jams whatsoever for around 150 rds.  Recoil does seem to be very mild, even for a 5.56.  This is definitely a keeper.

My other beauties are a Sig 716 with a Silence Co Specwar can and my first SBR, a Colt 9mm obviously.  This SBR was already in the works when I started this thread and not the one I was thinking about finishing over the ARX.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#42]
You choose wisely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top