Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 10:53:29 PM EDT
This is my first bolt action rifle.

I just ordered THIS rifle from buds, and I want to know if there's any way to mount a rear peep sight and a front sight of some kind to be used in conjunction with an optical scope. I've tried googling but can't come up with much. If anyone has some input I'd appreciate it.

Also, scope recommendations? I'm thinking either a 4-12x40 or possibly a long eye relief scope mounted more forward.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This is my first bolt action rifle.

I just ordered THIS rifle from buds, and I want to know if there's any way to mount a rear peep sight and a front sight of some kind to be used in conjunction with an optical scope. I've tried googling but can't come up with much. If anyone has some input I'd appreciate it.

Also, scope recommendations? I'm thinking either a 4-12x40 or possibly a long eye relief scope mounted more forward.
View Quote

Not without gun smithing or the tools to DIY.  Forget irons and utilize the rifle for what it's made for.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The MVP is a fantastic rifle for he money.

I'd skip he Scout scope profile and just go with a traditional scope placement.

4-12 x is plenty of scope for that gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
You ordered the wrong model... the MVP Patrol in 7.62x51 comes with irons standard. Barrel is only 16", though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You ordered the wrong model... the MVP Patrol in 7.62x51 comes with irons standard. Barrel is only 16", though.
View Quote

I don't want a barrel mounted rear sight. I want to try and add sights similar to the ruger GSR. I'm going to send it off to be threaded down the road, might see if adco can add a sight of some kind while they do that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
ive had one of these are order at my ffl for the last 2 months. (still don't have the funds to pay for one yet )
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's some pictures.

As you can see in this picture, the barrel slightly touches the stock on the left side. I'm going to take some sand paper to that so it won't effect accuracy.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Loosen the front receiver screw and hold the barrel in the middle of the stock. Re tighten the screw and it should float in the middle of the stock channel and not need sanding. Its alittle touchy but will free float.

Also, mag wise. If you want smooth feeding go with the Magpul mags. Seems to cycle better/smoother over polymer. If you want mags that fit better go with M1A mags. Fit better but alittle ruffer cycling over metal mags.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Loosen the front receiver screw and hold the barrel in the middle of the stock. Re tighten the screw and it should float in the middle of the stock channel and not need sanding. Its alittle touchy but will free float.

Also, mag wise. If you want smooth feeding go with the Magpul mags. Seems to cycle better/smoother over polymer. If you want mags that fit better go with M1A mags. Fit better but alittle ruffer cycling over metal mags.
View Quote

Good to know. I might get a couple of both in true Arfcom fashion. I might snip a coil or two of the M1A mags and see if that puts less pressure on the bolt and smooths it out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good to know. I might get a couple of both in true Arfcom fashion. I might snip a coil or two of the M1A mags and see if that puts less pressure on the bolt and smooths it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think its a follower pressure thing. Its the spiral fluted bolt riding over the feed lips. Cycles smoother with the polymer mags. But I like the fit of the M1A mags, and that the M1A mags come in a 15rd version which I think is the perfect length for the rifle. The 20rd mags are just too long for me on a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That works  
The modded mag may not work in your M14 clone if you have one but otherwise it's well worth the few seconds of effort.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That works  
The modded mag may not work in your M14 clone if you have one but otherwise it's well worth the few seconds of effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That works  

I don't have an M1A. I really really want one, but I can't see dropping almost 2 grand on one. I like them for the nostalgia, but the cost of ammo would keep me from shooting it much.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm ordering the MVP version in both 5.56mm and .308 just as soon as my dealer will get off his ass and call me back. Also ordering a Colt AR-15A4 at the same time, and a DPMS GII in a few more weeks, but evidently a customer buying 4 guns in a month isn't enough to warrant a call back within a week. I'll call him again tomorrow, if he doesn't have any info by then....well, I guess the dreaded Cabelas gun counter will get my business. Damn I hate the thought of buying a gun from there.

And no, I ain't rich - my recently departed 92 y/o grandmother very generously left me some money.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm ordering the MVP version in both 5.56mm and .308 just as soon as my dealer will get off his ass and call me back. Also ordering a Colt AR-15A4 at the same time, and a DPMS GII in a few more weeks, but evidently a customer buying 4 guns in a month isn't enough to warrant a call back within a week. I'll call him again tomorrow, if he doesn't have any info by then....well, I guess the dreaded Cabelas gun counter will get my business. Damn I hate the thought of buying a gun from there.

And no, I ain't rich - my recently departed 92 y/o grandmother very generously left me some money.
View Quote

My LGS are terrible about call backs. When I order something online and have it shipped to them they always ask why I didn't order it from them. I tell them I tried, but they were either way too high on price or wouldn't call me back. They're their own worst enemies at times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top