Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 2:34:09 AM EDT
The reason why I am using a shotgun is cause I have a wife that can not handle anything but an AR15 or handgun.

Yes In the future she will have her own AR, but for now she gets mine and I get the 12 gauge. The range I go to only allows the use of slugs so is there anything in particular that you guys recommended? I have been using the 1oz Winchester Super X slugs at the range as of late, and they shoot pretty high at 15 yards out of my Mossberg 500.

ETA: Should I stick with full loads or try low recoil?

thanks

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer 00 buck for HD. Personally if your going to use anything I prefer low recoil for quicker follow up shots
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal LE13200 or Hornady TAP 86265 low recoil 00 buck. Some of the best patterns on the market.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Federal PD132

Federal LE132
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Fiocchi Aero 7/8 oz reduced recoil slugs shoot into about 3" at 60+ yds... I have a 10/22 flip up sight on my rib, and a HighViz Flashpoint front sight which allows me to change elevation with different height light pipes

Federal Premium 1oz reduced recoil shoot the same point of impact

if you need to change elevation to get the slugs to print POA/POI you might try the Flashpoint

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I would suggest low recoil, for HD ranges it is plenty adequate and the Mrs may shoot the thing and like it, so you get your AR back...

I have a semi auto 20 ga with buck for the whole family to use.  A local guy shot a bear in his house last year, using a Judge 410 right in the face, killed it on the spot.  I figure a 20 will work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info guys.

Low recoil it is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
just remember low recoil means lower penetration. not saying its a bad thing, you might choose it specifically for that reason. just a reminder
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

just remember low recoil means lower penetration. not saying its a bad thing, you might choose it specifically for that reason. just a reminder
View Quote
Good point, but I believe slugs will still get the job done at 15 yards.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
PDX-1 segmented slugs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I would start he out at the range using a light, target load (Winchester AA Light Target is my preference). Let her concentrate on the controls, operation and tactics without dealing with recoil and flinch. Once she becomes confident with her shotgun, start working with loads more suited for defense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Slugs at the range, but Federal Flight Control 00B in your bedroom.  I have posted elsewhere the incredibly tight pattern this buckshot shoots from my IC barrel.   Home defense distances are probably no more than 15 yards, 45 feet.

Here is what the pattern is like at that distance from my Rem 1100.  You have to aim this stuff,  you really do not need to be concerned about buckshot going somewhere other than where you aim.  This is the full power 9 pellet load of Federal Premium.  Maximum spread is only about 3" at that distance.  Even at 50 yards, the spread is still under 12" with all 9 pellets on the target!

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure I understand the situation....you're envisioning a situation where your wife is armed with an ar15 and handgun and you have a shotgun? In what context?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Slugs at the range, but Federal Flight Control 00B in your bedroom.  I have posted elsewhere the incredibly tight pattern this buckshot shoots from my IC barrel.   Home defense distances are probably no more than 15 yards, 45 feet.

Here is what the pattern is like at that distance from my Rem 1100.  You have to aim this stuff,  you really do not need to be concerned about buckshot going somewhere other than where you aim.  This is the full power 9 pellet load of Federal Premium.  Maximum spread is only about 3" at that distance.  Even at 50 yards, the spread is still under 12" with all 9 pellets on the target!

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/4F658DD3-C9FA-497F-9C27-91742C1E1E4B_zpsfxuvoppo.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/17DE50E6-B0C0-4910-9F09-48A967944BF9_zpszdxkyhok.jpg
View Quote
Looks good, but I cant shoot anything but slugs at my indoor range and the outdoor is and hour away without traffic.

I dont think my stock Mossberg 500 will pattern that good anyways.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm not sure I understand the situation....you're envisioning a situation where your wife is armed with an ar15 and handgun and you have a shotgun? In what context?
View Quote
IF were both home and shit goes down like a home invasion she will grab the AR15 cause that is what she shoots best, and I'd probably grab the handgun but want to get better with a shotgun as well.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep Centurion Arms Ball and Buck in mine. Love that stuff at close range.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks good, but I cant shoot anything but slugs at my indoor range and the outdoor is and hour away without traffic.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/4F658DD3-C9FA-497F-9C27-91742C1E1E4B_zpsfxuvoppo.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/17DE50E6-B0C0-4910-9F09-48A967944BF9_zpszdxkyhok.jpg

With the flitecontrol wad it will.

I made some awesome kills on waterfowl when it first came out,  buckshot patterns awesome too.  Open choke too.

I have my 500 setup with federal low recoil buck in the tube, flitecontrol wad,  side saddle has low recoil powerball slugs and I have 3in Brenneke slugs on a stock cuff. The brenneke slugs are for god knows what.

For me I spend a lot of time reloading with dummy shells (eBay).  A lot of different things to do than with an AR.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer slugs that have an attached wad. Brenekke KO are pretty good. Brennekee tactical home defense are a lower recoil option.

The tactical home defense penetrates 17.5" in gel, expanding to .888"

If you are in southern California you can shoot slugs, lead bird shot and buckshot at Iron Sights indoor range in Oceanside. No wolf slugs or steel bird shot though.

HTH
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I prefer slugs that have an attached wad. Brenekke KO are pretty good. Brennekee tactical home defense are a lower recoil option.

If you are in southern California you can shoot slugs, lead bird shot and buckshot at Iron Sights indoor range in Oceanside. No wolf slugs or steel bird shot though.

HTH
View Quote
Thanks but iron sight is still to far I minus well go to the outdoor.

I'll check out the Brenekke rounds.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't recommend slugs for home defense use. Think about how much of the chest cavity is open space and there's almost a 100% chance of overpenetration. There are legitimate uses for slugs but using them as your primary HD round isn't one of them.

I use Winchester Low Recoil 2-3/4" 00 Buck loaded in the mag tube and in the Sidesaddle and four Winchester Low Recoil 1oz slugs in the Speedfeed buttstock in my Mossberg 590. I don't find ghost ring sights necessary, but I do replace the small beads that came on all my Mossbeegs with large brass beads. My primary HD shotgun, which is also my duty shotgun, has a Surefire forend on it. A defensive shotgun without a light is useless.

I've spent a lot of time at my range patterning it at different distances. It's important to do since two identical shotguns can pattern completely differently with the same load.

Your outdoor range where you can shoot something other than slugs is an hour away? So what? Spend the time to go there and pattern your shotgun. It's only your wife's and your life in the balance. Unless you have to selectively load a slug to penetrate a barrier or make a longer shot (how long it is will depend on how your shotgun patterns with your preferred buckshot load), a slug is a poor choice for home defense use.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I wouldn't recommend slugs for home defense use. Think about how much of the chest cavity is open space and there's almost a 100% chance of overpenetration. There are legitimate uses for slugs but using them as your primary HD round isn't one of them.
I use Winchester Low Recoil 2-3/4" 00 Buck loaded in the mag tube and in the Sidesaddle and four Winchester Low Recoil 1oz slugs in the Speedfeed buttstock in my Mossberg 590. I don't find ghost ring sights necessary, but I do replace the small beads that came on all my Mossbeegs with large brass beads. My primary HD shotgun, which is also my duty shotgun, has a Surefire forend on it. A defensive shotgun without a light is useless.
I've spent a lot of time at my range patterning it at different distances. It's important to do since two identical shotguns can pattern completely differently with the same load.
Your outdoor range where you can shoot something other than slugs is an hour away? So what? Spend the time to go there and pattern your shotgun. It's only your wife's and your life in the balance. Unless you have to selectively load a slug to penetrate a barrier or make a longer shot (how long it is will depend on how your shotgun patterns with your preferred buckshot load), a slug is a poor choice for home defense use.
View Quote

I have seen some test on youtube between slugs, 5.56, and 9mm and they all penetrate similar in ballistics gel with slugs coming in less then the other 2. All rounds can possibly over penetrate, and the main reasons why I like slugs is because when you miss you only have one projectile going down range vs 9.

12 gauage slugs, 5.56, 9mm, and 45ACP go through 12 sheets of sheetrock in The Box O Truth.

Vid

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes low recoil slugs will get it done. I prefer #4 buck for my house guns, 2 brenneke hot slugs on a saddle in case off whatever with xtra 4 buck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HTH

I've never found slugs as good as brennneke, cost wise $$. mid priced,pack a lot of wallop, accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top