Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 8:37:11 PM EDT
I'm looking for a 308 to complement my vepr 308. Just something with more parts availability and such.

From what I'm hearing the Ptr 91 rifles are well made, dead nuts reliable even with steel case, and pretty accurate as well.
And most importantly, cheap mags.

I don't reload and weight doesn't bother me.

Any more insight or input on thee rifles would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What you heard is correct. You really need a paddle mag release to reload with any kind of decent speed and control. (HK factory type can be added). The Tac Latch is available for lower cost. They're already somewhat handicapped in reload speed by the lack of a BHO (which can't be added). The charging handle is more difficult to pull compared to your VEPR, but no big deal unless you're a puny girly-man.

You absolutely can reload the brass. Flutes just changes how they look; they function the same (during reloading/re-firing).

Heavy recoil buffers, rubber butt pads, bayonets, carry handles, ejection port buffers (prevents brass from escaping the county), extended (HK21) charging handles, and NFA sears are options. They can be scoped, but the best way is probably to weld a picatinny rail directly to the receiver. You'd probably still need a cheek riser.

If you have a bajillion $ you could build a PSG-1 clone. MSG-90 clones are slightly less. I just have a G3 clone. It's great. No optics on mine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider an FAL instead.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
FAL's are nice, but heavier. I also think their sights are slightly less good and they're proabably not quite as reliable as a HK91 clone either. If I were to suggest something else, I'd lean towards a Chinese M14 or some form of 308 AR, like the Sig 716 or a Mega Ma-ten build. If you have lots of money, SCAR 17 hands down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Consider an FAL instead.

View Quote

I am considering a FAL, but finding a decent one seems to be difficult these days unless you luck out on the secondary market, and mags are a bit pricier.

The big thing that is enticing me to the PTR over the other 308 semis in the relative price range ,Are the newer ones with the welded rail available now, and the reputation to shoot even the nastiest surplus and steel cased ammo.
If* i could find a nice fal for a non retard price I would jump on it, but I have not found one that meets that yet.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I sold my PTR-91 about two weeks ago and am building an AR-10. It ate the nastiest of the steel case ammo like a champ. The mags are still cheap If you look around. But the thing was heavy and didn't fit me well. Mine lacked an optics rail which was a pain in the ass.

Ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I sold my PTR-91 about two weeks ago and am building an AR-10. It ate the nastiest of the steel case ammo like a champ. The mags are still cheap If you look around. But the thing was heavy and didn't fit me well. Mine lacked an optics rail which was a pain in the ass.

Ymmv.
View Quote

why didnt you get a claw mounted rail ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ymmv.

I never like how high optics sit on HK's. I had my Eotech on a rail mount and the cheek weld was awkward.

If I was doing it over I would definitely buy a model with the rail welded to it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I never like how high optics sit on HK's. I had my Eotech on a rail mount and the cheek weld was awkward.

If I was doing it over I would definitely buy a model with the rail welded to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ymmv.

It isn't so bad, with a low-profile rail. I never could stand the claw mounts.

I used a low-profile mount and slapped a PA micro on mine, mostly because I HATE the stock sights. It works well, for me.

If you're buying new, absolutely get the model with the welded-on top rail.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Expect to have the trigger worked on, from the factory they are horrible, at least mine was.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Expect to have the trigger worked on, from the factory they are horrible, at least mine was.
View Quote

True story I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The PTR has a great reputation but If you really want to scope it and you want most-likely-better accuracy out of the box and you want very long case life and excellent reliability with a great trigger think hard about an ArmaLite AR10 with the steel mags {B-series}.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd hold out until you find a FAL, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]

I have a PTR Squad carbine with a 16 inch fluted barrel AND a rail welded on from the factory.

http://ptr91.com/products/PTR%2091%20SC?id=9

It was worth the  few extra dollars.  I removed the rails from the hand guard because I did not really need them.You are not losing much with the short barrel, it is after all a battle rifle not a precision gun. That being said she is more accurate than I expected, will eat anything I feed her, though I do shy from steel when I can. Mags are cheap, parts are cheap and you can do most changes to it yourself.

The trigger does suck and the paddle release is a grand upgrade. As for optics I am running an ACOG on mine and its perfect, but if you are going to scope it you will want a cheek riser of some kind. I believe HKparts has one that snaps on for like 50 bucks. Parts are easy to find and relatively cheap, I ordered a MILspec stock from RTG and it came with a buffer and a sling, mags are also super cheap.

The one thing I do hate about my PTR is that it gets dirty, she will run like a clock, but you have to clean it sometime.
The other down side is that it is so freaking fun to shoot, you will want to shoot it all the time.

Regarding the FAL, well some of the advantages are:
Bolt hold open on last round
7 gas settings- a big deal with suppressors or shitty ammo
just as durable and cleaner - You will appreciate a piston system the first time you clean a delayed blow back
DSA has a reliable optic rail ( I have the carbine with another ACOG)
Better ERGOs in comparison

Neither one is sub MOA but if you have to reach out and engage a threat you can do it with confidence.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Ptr 91 or any g3 clones are the worst 308 semi

Triggers long and heavy with mushy brake

Balance is very nose heavy.

Worst iron sights. Front post is wider than the torso at 200 yards.

Need tools to adjust sights.

Dirty action

Poor ergonomics.

More recoil than any 308.

There is really no reason to own one.

Ar10 fal or m1a1 are better choices depending on what you want.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Factory irons? Overrated!

Has a proper steel lower now. PCS did a fantastic job on the conversion.

But, seriously, the PTR-91 is a great rifle, and I do also own a FAL and an M1A. Only real competition is that DSA FAL with a cast receiver running at a grand, or the entry level Springfield M1A (which is rather more expensive). Not sure which I'd pick if I could only choose one. (All are banned in MD now, of course.)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Factory irons? Overrated!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/ghilliebear/DSC05189_zpsbd4b8a76.jpg

Has a proper steel lower now. PCS did a fantastic job on the conversion.

But, seriously, the PTR-91 is a great rifle, and I do also own a FAL and an M1A. Only real competition is that DSA FAL with a cast receiver running at a grand, or the entry level Springfield M1A (which is rather more expensive). Not sure which I'd pick if I could only choose one. (All are banned in MD now, of course.)
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#17]
The moment I acquired an Aimpoint CS, I knew immediately that I was going to build an AK4B clone. You Swedes got it right! :)

(Also, it has a proper two hole stock now, along with the lower. I gotta take a new picture sometime.)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]
So the H&K G3 system.

Pro’s
Less expensive initial investment
Reasonably accurate
Very reliable
Mags are dirt cheap
Most parts are pretty cheap
Very easy to change things like stocks, forearms, etc.

Con’s
Ergonomics suck
Magazine release is poorly designed
Trigger are horrible
They get filthy dirty
Sights are extremely overrated, they suck.  It takes a special tool to make simple adjustments

I consider the FAL to be THE premier .308 battle rifle.  The adjustable gas system and the ergonomics/balance are just way ahead of the M14 and G3.  AIM has DSA’s on sale for a grand from time to time.  They had them earlier this week but they’re sold out right now.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So the H&K G3 system.

Pro’s
Less expensive initial investment
Reasonably accurate
Very reliable
Mags are dirt cheap
Most parts are pretty cheap
Very easy to change things like stocks, forearms, etc.

Con’s
Ergonomics suck
Magazine release is poorly designed What?
Trigger are horrible
They get filthy dirty
Sights are extremely overrated, they suck. They're better than those of the FAL, where the rear sight is attached to the lower.  It takes a special tool to make simple adjustments

I consider the FAL to be THE premier .308 battle rifle.  The adjustable gas system and the ergonomics/balance are just way ahead of the M14 and G3.  AIM has DSA’s on sale for a grand from time to time.  They had them earlier this week but they’re sold out right now.  
View Quote

Adjustable gas systems are overrated unless you're planning on using suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I kind of think that reload speed debates between the FAL, M1 and G3 are kind of a discussion on which electric wheelchair is quicker.  None seem designed with speed reloads in mind.  I have a DSA Imbel FAL and Springfield M1A and have gotten some trigger time behind a G3 (Portuguese).  Of the three the G3 was my favorite with the FAL just behind.  The adjustable gas system on my FAL at least seems like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth and there are issues cause by the rear sight mounted on the lower.  The G3 ran and ran on a below freezing day and the owner, bless him, cleans every year or so at best so I know it can function when it's filthy dirty.  A PTR is on my short list to buy now that they've had some time to prove themselves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top