Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 12:28:06 AM EDT
Im posting this question the General thread to look over and compare ak variants. This thread is to help me and others decide on what Ak 47 to add the the collection after the import ban of Russian aks. I personally had a c93 that was junk. I spent $1,000 on a milled p.o.s. I almost swore off ak style rifles all together after I sold it to some one who wanted to take on the challenges it had. It would fail to feed and fire and the piston was grinding hard in the piston tube and would stick. Needless to say I was in a fury after finding out that it was only worth $500-$600.

Now I feel it is time to try once again with the legendary battle rifle. I have been looking at the fallowing and would like the best honest opinions out there. this is in no order. And I know and understand that the quality can is a wide range with the fallowing.

Arsenal slr 107
Pap M92 or 85 with the magwell adapter
I.O. Inc. import radom ak47 (no idea who they deal through)
m+m10
waffen works ak74
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I too am considering an AK, don't know a ton but my ak loving buddy loves his Arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im posting this in the general to look over and compare to help me decide what I would like to add the the collection. I did have a c93 that was junk and spent a grand on a milled pos almost swore off ak style rifles all to gather after I unloaded it. it would fail to feed and fire and the piston was grinding hard in the tube.

so I let some one else have the headache.

View Quote

Sounds like a douchebag move to me. Who knows, maybe a few more crappy guns are on your karmic wheel....................b4 you find a good one

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like a douchebag move to me. Who knows, maybe a few more crappy guns are on your karmic wheel....................b4 you find a good one

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im posting this in the general to look over and compare to help me decide what I would like to add the the collection. I did have a c93 that was junk and spent a grand on a milled pos almost swore off ak style rifles all to gather after I unloaded it. it would fail to feed and fire and the piston was grinding hard in the tube.

He did stated he wanted it and he understood what was wrong with it and wanted the challenge of a us made commi gun. I feel no remorse he got it for $500 and made it run.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:07:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Part of the problem is we know to much now with the web at our fingertips, but first and experience is something all together different.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not douchey at all. Only a dope keeps a gun that doesn't work right.

Don't over think it OP. Arsenal SLR107.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He did stated he wanted it and he understood what was wrong with it and wanted the challenge of a us made commi gun. I feel no remorse he got it for $500 and made it run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mea culpa. Had you stated this info in the op I would not have replied as I did. OP sounded like you dumped a load on an unsuspecting buyer. As it seems now, you were honest about the gun and to be commended.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I get to play with commie guns once in a while. Arsenal are very well built and nicely finished.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Every Arsenal I've seen was expertly built. I have a 5.56 from them. They are not known to have any functional issues (other than some early design 5.56's). The finish looks good, but the paint they use is not very durable, unless that's changed in recent years. It's only paint though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
The bent piston might be a pos U.S. part added for 922r that warped. That happened to a sa93 i had the  first time i rapid fired it
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm happy enough with a WASR-10 I picked up a number of years ago. To bad the supply is gone as they were only $230.00 for the AK and kit (oiler, sling, butt stock cleaning rod and so on) plus two thirty round mags. In hindsight, I would have bought many more but who knew? They would have made a nice pass around arsenal if ever needed and easily storable.

It did have some of the issues found in WASR's but not anything that couldn't be remedied. It started out looking like this one, actually a bit worse as it was suspended from the ceiling with bare wires at the shop. Not my image but bryon0928's.

It did have the mag wobble but I built the internal dimples with computer parts so no more wobble. Also aesthetically speaking, it was a dog. It didn't have canted sights nor the trigger slap. I find the stocks somewhat short on Romanians also. I spent a day in the garage and $20.00 in parts and supplies to change it a bit. I repaired the wobble, easy fix, reworked the wood (china red stain with shellac over it), redid the metal, added a 1" rubber butt stock extension, changed the grip and removed the blueing from the whole piston/bolt/charging handle and buffed it out on a buffing wheel to a chrome like finish. It took a rainy day.

For accuracy, it gets a 4" grouping at 100 yards using wolf black box but tightens up to a 2" group using better ammunition like Federal American on a bench rest, which is pretty good for an AK.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Well it might have been, but the whole rifle top to bottom was totted to be great and all new production and it was to be Blah..... It might be now when its not the Obama scare but I will not buy a c93 (century Arms. milled with out shooting it first.
A friend of Mine has the pap m92 so I have a lot of time fingering and playing with it and I have no problems with picking one of those up. I just need a brace or two.
I was thinking of the slr 107 before they jump higher in price I know of one local to me but no idea how the guy has kept it and would have to try to bring him down from $1,300.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I lusted after an AK once.  All gone now for a good reason.

AK #1 - SAR-1.  Reliable, but 50 yard groups looked liked I shot the target with  buckshot.

AK #2 -  Bulgarian SSR-85-C2.  Only one mag in the entire world fit into it and then it was a jam-o-matic.   More accurate than the SAR -1 if it did load the round.  The longest string of shots I got was two.  

PSL   -  Fatal receiver failure after shooting 80 rounds of the Czech Silver tip 149 grain FMJ ammunition.  Was pretty accurate up to that point.  I could  not find a magazine that would work reliably in the replacement.  Gone.  Too bad because I did like shooting it when it worked.

With the SAFE act in NY, it was not worth owning them due to the issues I had with them.  Don't even miss them.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Wanted an AK in the collection - ended up with this - works well.

Maadi ARM imported by ACC/Intrac with Egyptian parts kit from Atlantic Firearms.

Swapped out from Egyptian parts kit:
- top cover
- butt stock
- pistol grip
- upper/lower forearm
- recoil spring assembly
- bolt/piston assembly
- cleaning rod
- slant brake

Sling is Russian.

Then USA parts for compliance:
- slant brake
- mags floor-plate/follower
- fire-control

Rough and going to stay that way .............

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#14]

+1 on the maadi
I have m70ab2 which has been perfect and a npap underfolder coming from Atlantic
Love the uf's
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#15]
hey its better to ask for forgiveness than permission in my book.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A friend of Mine has the pap m92 so I have a lot of time fingering and playing with it and I have no problems with picking one of those up. I just need a brace or two.

View Quote

They are well built and fun rifles.  With a brace and a sling they are ready to roll.  Mine:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They are well built and fun rifles.  With a brace and a sling they are ready to roll.  Mine:

http://s20.postimg.org/bx1nrw4n1/M92_006.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am really loving the krinks with no nfa paper work.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Iv shot many different models,  when I was looking to own my first the only one I liked right out of the box was a NOS Norinco Mak90... All original no replacement parts...heck after reworking the thumbhole stock that even worked.  Slick action very crisp trigger.   Iv handled a few Norinco's some good some bad...all the bad ones were compliance part fucked.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, because I was going to post this too.

You can't go wrong with a Yugo. They are the Cadillacs of the AK world.  
Buy the M92 or M85 depending on you ammo fort funding status.

If you get he M85, stick to the correct Yugo 5.56 AK mags for best results.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Be careful! There are a lot of "not Maadi" Maadi's that are marked Maadi in some way... I know that doesn't make any sense, but I'm too tired to explain it. I don't think I can call fake on them all, as there was some licensing deal...?... Just research extensively before committing to purchase, and know which is worth what. I think there were actual fakes mixed into the situation here also. Steyr imported the first ones in the early 80's and they were awesome. That's all I remember at the moment.

I have 3 ish AK's:

The Arsenal SLR-106CR, which is cool, especially when I'm only bringing other .223 firearms to the range. The clear polymer mags start to crack at the front locking area over time (unlike the black mags) but mine only have small fractures in 3 out of 7, and all work fine. I didn't know this when I got them.

Arsenal SA-93, which shoots great (function/accuracy/smoothness) and I have plans to make a type III clone out of it for some 50's Soviet goodness.

Romanian AKM kit + receiver, which I have yet to build. I'll probably just wait until I have a SOT, and make a post-86 dealer sample MG out of it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]
For your 107 have you ever thought to use the AR magwell adapter?  I also believe there to be a yugo/zastava M21 on its way in galil style.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
hey its better to ask for forgiveness than permission in my book.
View Quote

I agree, unfortunately the OP's grammar is so bad i'm only reading replies.

It's Grammar Nazi Monday.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#23]
So I am trying to get the pap m92, I found out my local ffl can get it but they want $700 to special order it. Am I crazy or is that just out regis price for a m92?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
That's crazy.

Also, current PAP's have QC issues sometimes, so I'd try to hand-select from inventory in stock. Look for rust coming out from under semi-permanently-attached things, like the front trunion, rear trunion, scope rail, rear sight block, etc. Check that the FSB is straight/centered. Work the bolt for function/smoothness. They'll all function, but some may feel rough. If you see metal shavings from the carrier or piston rubbing super-hard against another parts, that's a clue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's crazy.

Also, current PAP's have QC issues sometimes, so I'd try to hand-select from inventory in stock. Look for rust coming out from under semi-permanently-attached things, like the front trunion, rear trunion, scope rail, rear sight block, etc. Check that the FSB is straight/centered. Work the bolt for function/smoothness. They'll all function, but some may feel rough. If you see metal shavings from the carrier or piston rubbing super-hard against another parts, that's a clue.
View Quote

It is and most likely I will have to order it on line it seems most of my locals don't or won't carry it. They as well want $55 to receive my order then tell me that if I would be better off just buying from them and no where else. Now I like to support my local stores but there a box store and they just seem to have a larger mark up if not retail price.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#26]
$700 for a M92 is pure ass rape.

J&G has them for $499 with a 75 round drum! They also have the Sig AK arm brace in stock for $119.

Go to Gun Broker, use the buyers tool to find a FFL near you that will do the transfer.

http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-zastava-pap-m92pv-ak-style-pistol,-krinkov-pattern,-7.62x39,-wood-stock,-new.-with-free-drum-p-57965.html
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#27]
My Polish under folder has been impeccable. Although it us all Polish save for the receiver. My Beryl has been perfect too. I don't know the time line but FB Radom USA, in TX will be doing 5.56 and 7.62 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#28]
nevermind, its been said
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My Polish under folder has been impeccable. Although it us all Polish save for the receiver. My Beryl has been perfect too. I don't know the time line but FB Radom USA, in TX will be doing 5.56 and 7.62 rifles.
View Quote

I have been waiting to see if and when I could pick up a Radom USA 7.62. Dose I.O. inc. import a good 7.62 from the radom plant?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#30]
They're kind of like the PAP's as far as QC. Here's what I was told regarding them... They aren't made at the Radom plant. They're made at a plant in Radom, Poland, which the US distributors/importer set-up to hire cheap Polish labor and assemble them to meet 922r import regs, using parts from different places. Once in-country (US) they have the magwells opened up, and US furniture put on, etc. The guys they hired are not required to be former Radom arsenal plant workers or anything. QC is not like military Radom plant production.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#31]
The Archer from IO Inc is the only FB Radom rifle. They messed up a few things on them but they are still excellent rifles.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#32]
IO will never see one thin dime of my money.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
IO will never see one thin dime of my money.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Yep. I bought mine used.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok so that's puts that idea out the window. Ok so who makes decent standard ak out side of the wasr10?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ok so that's puts that idea out the window. Ok so who makes decent standard ak out side of the wasr10?
View Quote

NPAP is pretty good but it doesn't take standard furniture.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Could it be modified to ? Or am I just better off waiting?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a new Arsenal SLR107FR a couple weeks back, and really enjoy the rifle.

I have added the RS Regulate BM-1 mount in order to use my weaponlight, a Krebs 800m ghost ring rear sight, Krebs safety selector, US Palm grip, and Blue Force Gear short wire loop with QD socket on the front sling point. As soon as they become availbale an Echo 93 rear QD socket will be added. I kept the stock furniture and muzzle brake. I bought the 10 pack of combloc mags from SG Ammo and a couple mag pouches from Strike Hard Industries. I am debating ordering a mag bandolier from UW Gear, but the 4 month wait time bothers me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

+1 on the maadi
I have m70ab2 which has been perfect and a npap underfolder coming from Atlantic
Love the uf's
http://i58.tinypic.com/hsl11w.jpg
View Quote

+1 on the m70ab2 ak. I love mine. Goes bang like it supposed to.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Go with Arsenal for century series AKs and James River Arms for traditional AKs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I like the Arsenal, although  now they are more pricey, but worth it. I have an older Romanian that runs like a top. Bought it from Henderson's Defense years ago. They checked for any cant, slop and made sure the sights were straight. I kick myself for not buying a bunch of them years ago when I first started collecting guns and they were only $150.00 out the door.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a definitve arms ak103 and it is nice. I shoot it more than any of my other weapons.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Go with the SLR-107 or a yugo. Avoid IO and waffen works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top