Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 10:03:01 PM EDT
I've owned a few push feed Winchesters over the years, but for some reason, never held onto them for very long.  I've had a couple 670 and standard 70s, but nothing really fancy enough to keep in the safe (or at least nothing I was that attached to).  Well, I lucked into one this week, and will probably be keeping it for quite some time.  Its a Winchester 70 XTR Featherweight in .243, with a manufacture date of sometime around '81 or '82.  Gun is in very good condition, easily 92%, and was well taken care of by the previous owner.  Doesn't look like its been shot much, and has a period correct Japanese Tasco scope (that will soon be replaced).  Interestingly enough, its a long action.  As I understand it, though, Winchester didn't begin offering a true "short action" receiver until 1986 or so.  

Either way, its a beautiful rifle.  Checkering is perfect, bluing deep, but the trigger does need a tune up.  Haven't had a chance to take any pics, but should in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They didn't make a short action until the early 90s. Push feed Winchesters are great rifles but under rated. I'd much rather have one than a Remington.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't you mean control round fed?   I have Winchester 70s and several other bolt guns.  My favorite Model 70 is a custom stocked "middle"  period version 1969, chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum.  Beautiful rifle.  Elegant, refined.  But neither it nor any other Model 70 I have owned has  been as accurate as the least of my Remington 700s, Sakos or Weatherbys.
Buy it for its beauty.  Do not expect MOA accuracy.

I love it for what it is - a classic example of craftmanship and form.  It can only produce hunting accuracy of about 2 to 2.5 MOA, but it is breathtaking.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't you mean control round fed?   I have Winchester 70s and several other bolt guns.  My favorite Model 70 is a custom stocked "middle"  period version 1969, chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum.  Beautiful rifle.  Elegant, refined.  But neither it nor any other Model 70 I have owned has  been as accurate as the least of my Remington 700s, Sakos or Weatherbys.

Here is my custom Model 70.  I love it for what it is.  It can only produce hunting accuracy of about 2 to 2.5 MOA, but it is breathtaking.
View Quote

Current production Winchesters are the best ever made and often put 3-5 rounds of ammo they like under an inch. Remington is making the worst guns they have ever made.

Older Winchesters, whether classic, Pre 64 or push feed, will often produce very tight groups when trued and rebarreled.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Current production Winchesters are the best ever made and often put 3-5 rounds of ammo they like under an inch. Remington is making the worst guns they have ever made.

Older Winchesters, whether classic, Pre 64 or push feed, will often produce very tight groups when trued and rebarreled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is my custom Model 70.  I love it for what it is.  It can only produce hunting accuracy of about 2 to 2.5 MOA, but it is breathtaking.

Current Remingtons, except from the Custom Shop are crap.  We are here discussing classic era real Winchester Model 70's.  Their accuracy was not on par with the Remington 700 of that era.  But they were better looking.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
But they were better looking.
View Quote

It depends a lot on the rifle, but I do agree to an extent.  I've never liked the looks of a 700 BDL, but a 700 Classic or Mountain Rifle rivals a lot of the Winchester guns (although I do prefer the checkering on the 70s).  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought a Model 70 featherweight about 15 years ago.  Love the rifle, don not care for Remingtons at all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Grew up with a M70.  My dad hunted with a 1949 Model 70 .270 win Super Grade.    Still my idea of what a rifle should be.

I have three M70's, none are pre-64's though.  I have a stainless M70 Classic CRF .300 winnie,  a .270 Super Grade CRF (not dads ), and a push feed .22-250.  I also have a model 54 .270 carbine that needs a stock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Dad has a push feed 243 and it is damn accurate.
Freaking boomer though with the short barrel.
Will take a pic later.

Here she is a model 670 243.

She's a little rough but shoot damn good.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Winchester 70s have some of the most desirable features any production bolt action should have (in my opinion).

-A flat bottom receiver with a forged recoil lug
-A real extractor (whether the controlled round "pre-64" Mauser type, or the push feed type, you can argue about whether one is better than the other, but neither are a spring clip)
-A safety that interdicts the striker instead of relying on the FCG

I will never understand how the 700 became the rifle of choice over the 70.

Anecdotal accounts of accuracy are just that.  A model 70 has everything makes a Sako L61R or L579 desirable to me and more, for often less money.  But I buy the Sakos instead because of sentimental reasons.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It depends a lot on the rifle, but I do agree to an extent.  I've never liked the looks of a 700 BDL, but a 700 Classic or Mountain Rifle rivals a lot of the Winchester guns (although I do prefer the checkering on the 70s).  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But they were better looking.

Actually, you do have a point with which I totally agree.  My favorite Rem 700 is a .280 Custom Shop KS Mountain Rifle.  I had it made with 24" barrel and had the action blueprinted.  It is the McMillan Kevlar stock and very light, streamlined profile, that just looks right and is easy to carry long distances.  It is a beauty in its own way, despite the synthetic stock.

In my post, I was thinking more in terms of the classic wood stocked M70s and Rem 700s.  The former looks better to me, the latter shoots better, at least among the ones I have.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Dream gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always wanted a mod. 70. It'll probably be the next gun I buy. Looking to get a .458, would prefer .458 Lott over Win. mag.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've always wanted a mod. 70. It'll probably be the next gun I buy. Looking to get a .458, would prefer .458 Lott over Win. mag.
View Quote

Lotts make my vision blurry.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Winchester 70s have some of the most desirable features any production bolt action should have (in my opinion).

-A real extractor (whether the controlled round "pre-64" Mauser type, or the push feed type, you can argue about whether one is better than the other, but neither are a spring clip)

Anecdotal accounts of accuracy are just that.  A model 70 has everything makes a Sako L61R or L579 desirable to me and more, for often less money.  But I buy the Sakos instead because of sentimental reasons.
View Quote

Me neither.  I have had 3 700s over the years that had extraction issues....never have had a Mauser type action EVER fail me....

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Gunsmiths like them because they are easy to work in. And they are cheaper guns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My cheap Remington 700.  Cheap 2-7x36mm scope, rings and sling, too.  Yep, not much to speak of, although it manages to somehow shoot 3/4 MOA with my handloaded Nosler BTs for the first 5 shots before the light sporter barrel heats up.

Wearing the longer range pre-sighted Leupold LPS.

But, to get us back on track, my beautiful, best, but far less accurate Model 70, circa 1969.

The custom stock walnut.  Hard to find today.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll take a Winchester over a Remington any day of the week.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm a fan. Still hunt with my 30-06 my grandpa gave me when I was 12.
I'm in the process of recheckering the stock now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
My favorite Rem 700 is a .280 Custom Shop KS Mountain Rifle
View Quote

First centerfire rifle I ever bought was a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280, picked it up new in '95 or '96.  I've hunted every year with it, and have taken countless numbers of deer with the rifle.  I shot it with a fixed Leupold 6x42 for years, but swapped it out for a 3-9x Sightron SII Big Sky and Talley lightweight rings.  Man, I love that rifle!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup, been killin' white tails for years with a model 70. Great gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter LT with Nikon glass in .270.  It is an absolute tack driver with Federal Premium 130 gr Sierra GameKing BTSP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with Kuraki. I picked up an early 1980's Winchester push feed in 30-06. I used it sparingly, mostly off hand shooting. At that time I did not understand the specifics of rifle actions, and did not consider my Winchester very highly. Years later, I started to shoot it for accuracy, and as I had learned more about rifle actions, realized it really was an excellent action and a fine rifle.

I consider it a shame that Winchester does not still make a push feed as a less expensive variant to the controlled round Model 70 currently available. They really were decent rifles, particularly by the early 70's. The action itself is superior to the Remington 700.

The fact that the push feed '70 was scorned showed how fickle the gun buying public can be. Gun writers back then were upset that the action changed in '64, and never judged the new Winchester for what is was, only what it wasn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top