Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 4:12:10 PM EDT
What size drill rod will fit down an AR-15 barrel (5.56)? I want to use it to make sure my suppressor is aligned properly. I'm looking for a drill rod that is the maximum size that will fit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
.223 inch
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What size drill rod will fit down an AR-15 barrel (5.56)? I want to use it to make sure my suppressor is aligned properly. I'm looking for a drill rod that is the maximum size that will fit.
View Quote

Remove magazine from rifle, check chamber, if loaded unload with rifle pointed in a safe direction. Remove upper from lower, then remove BCG & charging handle. Attach suppressor to upper, look down bbl. If you see any obstruction, you have an issue, if there's nothing but daylight you're GTG.  You're complicating an easy task. Unless you have an unknown brand bbl.

If you go the drill rod route, it needs to fit real snug. Any movement throws you off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Remove magazine from rifle, check chamber, if loaded unload with rifle pointed in a safe direction. Remove upper from lower, then remove BCG & charging handle. Attach suppressor to upper, look down bbl. If you see any obstruction, you have an issue, if there's nothing but daylight you're GTG.  You're complicating an easy task. Unless you have an unknown brand bbl.

If you go the drill rod route, it needs to fit real snug. Any movement throws you off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do have an unknown brand barrel. It has no markings at all. I bought it second hand and I believe someone cut down a 16in barrel to 10in and took off the markings with the excess barrel. I have looked down the barrel with the suppressor attached and the hole is nice and round but the suppressor appears closer to the bore on one side compared to the other. It's a .30 cal can on a 5.56 gun so I have a little extra wiggle room, I just want to make sure the path of the bullet isn't too close to the endcap/baffles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I do have an unknown brand barrel. It has no markings at all. I bought it second hand and I believe someone cut down a 16in barrel to 10in and took off the markings with the excess barrel. I have looked down the barrel with the suppressor attached and the hole is nice and round but the suppressor appears closer to the bore on one side compared to the other. It's a .30 cal can on a 5.56 gun so I have a little extra wiggle room, I just want to make sure the path of the bullet isn't too close to the endcap/baffles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.30 cal can on a .223 barrel it would have to be visibly off, as in sighting down the barrel you could see its skewed,  to have a strike.
CNC warrior sells a bore alignment rod, they cost $14 ea I bought a .30 and a .223. They have  a slight step in them so that they sit on the crown. Only issue I have is the with the oversized portion of the .30 cal rod wont fit in my AAC 762SD. The blast baffle is tighter then the rest of the baffles and wont allow the rod to pass through it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

.30 cal can on a .223 barrel it would have to be visibly off, as in sighting down the barrel you could see its skewed,  to have a strike.
CNC warrior sells a bore alignment rod, they cost $14 ea I bought a .30 and a .223. They have  a slight step in them so that they sit on the crown. Only issue I have is the with the oversized portion of the .30 cal rod wont fit in my AAC 762SD. The blast baffle is tighter then the rest of the baffles and wont allow the rod to pass through it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a M-1A flash hider alignment tool.  You have a friend with a lathe? drop the blast baffle area down a tad and should work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
P

Sounds lik ea M-1A flash hider alignment tool.  You have a friend with a lathe? drop the blast baffle area down a tad and should work.
View Quote

Similar now that you mention it.
http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=26224
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
If you aren't happy with the KISS method of looking down the barrel, then for a 30cal can on a 5.56 barrel, just take a standard cleaning rod and use it. Most smaller cleaning rods are just under .22 caliber and are going to give you an "about right" confirmation that you aren't off so grossly that you have to worry about a baffle strike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top