Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2014 8:30:36 AM EDT
Wondering if anyone has tried shooting the Hornady SST slugs out of a smooth bore?  These have an awesome performance out of a rifled bore, so it has me thinking.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend gave me several boxes of them because he was getting a lot of key-holing in his
smooth-bore bbl.. I tried them and got the same results at 15yds..
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I always heard it was a no no to shoot sabots out of a smooth bore but no one could tell me why.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I always heard it was a no no to shoot sabots out of a smooth bore but no one could tell me why.
View Quote
They  won't be stabilized and will tumble in flight. They will still be pretty deadly, but accuracy will be very poor and you won't benefit from the slug design if it hits sideways.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-46-shotgun-slugs-sabots-and-smooth-bore-barrels/

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a no no because they won't stabilize. They need to spin like a rifle bullet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I know the "trade secret" of rifled slugs in smooth bbl, sabots in a rifled bore.  Just wondering.  I pack standard fosters in my 870 now, but was just more curious if anyone had ever tried this particular slug.

I say NO to keyhole-ing, everytime.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Will not work.  Reasons stated above and personal experience.   There are better Foster slugs out there now for smoothbore shotguns than in the old days.   And the time-tested Brenneke slugs get the job done.  

I use Brenneke slugs and Federal Flight Control 00B in improved cylinder shotgun barrels and am very happy with the group size.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Coppersolids out of a 14.5" barrel with a rifled choke keyhole about 65% of the time at 25 yards...

Not so good for human or animal targets, but they sure do wreck engines pretty good
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The guy who taught me how to shoot a shotgun explained it to me like this:

"If it says 'sabot' on the box, it's not a shotgun shell. It's a big-bore, plastic rifle round."
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
In our 12 ga super sabots,  that we had made, we use 58cal  hollowbase minies,

and they grouped  about same  as fosters at 30-40 yds. Straight on.

Round nose heavier Minies, tightest group. Find a 12ga FH thread on

some forum shows all. info. Ed
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Smoothbore needs a heavy front nose, kind of like hitting a shuttlecock over the net where the heavy end leads.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's a no no because they won't stabilize. They need to spin like a rifle bullet.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Smoothbore needs a heavy front nose, kind of like hitting a shuttlecock over the net where the heavy end leads.
View Quote

Or a finned dart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top