Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/5/2014 4:33:03 AM EDT
Lately I have been drooling over precision rifles that can hit targets 600 yards away. I used to think ARs with red dots were the way to go, but in SHTF end of the world situation I would prefer not to get in a gun fight at all, but if I did I'd wanna be at least 300 yards away. I am thinking about bulding a precision .308 bolt gun, but also might just scope my AR15 or of course do both.

So what rifle do you guys prefer for SHTF?

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
My Scar 17 with ACOG
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
My AR with out glass, iron sights only.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]
AR15, this is ARFCOM right??

JK, due to the M4 being my issued weapon that is what I would choose.

Max
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Since we're just dreaming anyway, I'll take mini-gun for 1,000 Alex

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#6]
My AR carbine with a 1-4 optic

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]
AR w/ red dot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#8]
what ever one is right next to me
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Either my CQBR w/exps-3 or m4a1 Block 2 w/acog. or my hybrid cqbr block 2 inspired 12.5" 308

Fuck it- i'll take em all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#10]
AR with 1-6 or similar type optic and BUIS.        

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
My preference is a lightweight AR-15 - but with iron sights, an option you did not provide.

Whether you top it with glass or a dot sight, the optic becomes the weak point on a SHTF rifle.

Personally, this is my favorite SHTF and/or survival rifle:

It weights just 5.6 pounds, has sights that you're virtually never going to break, has a short OAL, breaks down into an even shorter package, has a stock that you'll virtually never be able to break, and is still capable of about 2-3 MOA accuracy over the 5 yards to a maximum of  200 or 300 yard ranges that matter in a SHTF situation.

If an optic matters, I can always put my 3X Colt scope on top of the carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My AR with out glass, iron sights only.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My preference is a lightweight AR-15 - but with iron sights, an option you did not provide.

Whether you top it with glass or a dot sight, the optic becomes the weak point on a SHTF rifle.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/4b39738c.jpg

It weights just 5.6 pounds, has sights that you're virtually never going to break, has a short OAL, breaks down into an even shorter package, has a stock that you'll virtually never be able to break, and is still capable of about 2-3 MOA accuracy over the 5 yards to a maximum of  200 or 300 yard ranges that matter in a SHTF situation.

If an optic matters, I can always put my 3X Colt scope on top of the carry handle.

View Quote
I've seen more bent front sight posts than broken ACOGS.  A good optic is faster and better in low light.  I'll take an optic with BUIS.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nice.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Really depends on the scenario. If I am walking someplace, I would take my M4gry with an ACOG. Can carry a fair amount of ammo and light.
If I have a vehicle, I want a .308, M1A Scout.

If I am dug in, an HK-91 with bipod and bags of loaded magazines.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Really depends on the scenario.
If I am walking someplace, I would take my M4gry with an ACOG. Can carry a fair amount of ammo and light.
If I have a vehicle, I want a .308, M1A Scout.

If I am dug in, an HK-91 with bipod and bags of loaded magazines.
View Quote

Yes it does.
Walking: my Daewoo AR100/K2 or Norinco AK47
Vehicle: Norinco AK47, or CQB-16 in a Blackfeather RS
Dug in: CQB-16 in a Blackfeather RS, or Crazy Horse M21A5 EBR
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]
If I had infinite money I'd take a 14.5" SCAR-H with an ELCAN SpectreDR, a PS22, and a nice can. I'm on record as saying that if We The People ever wanted to truly fulfill the spirit of the Second Amendment, that we'd to-the-man have SCAR 17's. But whatever. I don't have infinite money.

So, barring infinite money I ain't got, I feel like in the event of SHTF (and this could be an earthquake or civil unrest or plague or alien invasion or just full-on OCP) my most likely engagements are going to be within 200 meters. Why? I'm not fighting a war, I'm not engaging baddies from mountaintops. I'm laying low, scavenging for supplies, and likely surprising my potential enemies as much as they surprise me.

That means, short, light, quiet. So I've been working on building this in 300BLK. Excuse the wire stock, that's been replaced IRL with a LWRCi ultra compact, and gunstruction's limitations prevent displaying that. (Similarly, the link is in 5.56, limited number of parts in Gunstruction).

I have (or am getting) enough 300BLK, both supers and subs, to finish any engagement I'm likely to encounter, and I've gotten this far with the build:

(waiting on stamps sucks.)

I'm also in the process of a simpler 5.56 upper, to fill a similar purpose given such a scenario.

I just have always felt like anyone who thinks they're gonna be sniping bandits from the snipers nest in their attic, or humping some 10 pound chassis'd M14 down a railroad track hasn't really thought very hard about what's likely to happen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
My 16"  AR10T

WIth glass.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AR with 1-6 or similar type optic and BUIS.          
View Quote

This.  Just add a lightweight can and a bunch of mags/ammo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lately I have been drooling over precision rifles that can hit targets 600 yards away. I used to think ARs with red dots were the way to go, but in SHTF end of the world situation I would prefer not to get in a gun fight at all, but if I did I'd wanna be at least 300 yards away. I am thinking about bulding a precision .308 bolt gun, but also might just scope my AR15 or of course do both.

View Quote

So you would carry both? Or just tell the people trying to kill you to let you get farther away?
14.5 with acog

Quoted:

View Quote

Its called backup sights grandpa... If my optic breaks i flip my sights up... You are going to shoot better and faster with a optic before it breaks....
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

So you would carry both? Or just tell the people trying to kill you to let you get farther away?

14.5 with acog

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/IMAG0454_zpsc9ba3cad.jpg

Its called backup sights grandpa... If my optic breaks i flip my sights up... You are going to shoot better and faster with a optic before it breaks....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

14.5 with acog

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/IMAG0454_zpsc9ba3cad.jpg

Quoted:

I'd only carry one, and if I could I would tell them to let me get farther away.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Precision rifle would be cool if you were a camouflage expert and you could dictate your engagements all the time.  Seems too risky though that you would be caught in a wooded area or in an urban environment up close and stuck with only your sidearm.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#23]
"Other."

SIG 556 with irons.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#24]
None of the above. A  shotgun. You can use it for hunting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#25]
AR with RDS.

Wouldn't feel bad with an AK with RDS also.  A close second.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#26]
probably my light weight carbine with .600" barrel and 1.5x16, which is a back up to my 3 gun rifle...

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
10.3" - 12.5" AR with a 1-4x or a RDS. Mini can and weaponlight + dbal
This is what I've got right now

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Its called backup sights grandpa... If my optic breaks i flip my sights up... You are going to shoot better and faster with a optic before it breaks….
View Quote
It's a nice thought - one held by many shooters I've beaten in tactical rifle matches over the years while using a a carry handle sighted AR-15.

Sure, if you have a flat top with an optic then a BUIS is a great idea, but many of them are really crappy and do nothing for the accuracy potential of the rifle.  And unless they are co-witnessed, you are going to lose valuable time when you realize your optic just went tits up, and all to often that realization comes only when you notice you are shooting several feet off your intended point of aim.

---

At social shooting distances, an optic won't increase speed or accuracy over a carry handle sight, which functions quite well as a both eyes open gutter sight, and at long range, an unmagnified optic won't help you see the target any better, and if you can't see it, you can't hit it.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's a nice thought - one held by many shooters I've beaten in tactical rifle matches over the years while using a a carry handle sighted AR-15.

Sure, if you have a flat top with an optic then a BUIS is a great idea, but many of them are really crappy and do nothing for the accuracy potential of the rifle.  And unless they are co-witnessed, you are going to lose valuable time when you realize your optic just went tits up, and all to often that realization comes only when you notice you are shooting several feet off your intended point of aim.

---

At social shooting distances, an optic won't increase speed or accuracy over a carry handle sight, which functions quite well as a both eyes open gutter sight, and at long range, an unmagnified optic won't help you see the target any better, and if you can't see it, you can't hit it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its called backup sights grandpa... If my optic breaks i flip my sights up... You are going to shoot better and faster with a optic before it breaks….

---

I guess that does it then.  No need for all these fancy optics, back to the carry handles for all of us.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

---

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

---

Irons suck at night or low light, period.  I will keep my Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My AR carbine with a 1-4 optic

View Quote
Stealth with a 1-4 trijicon accupoint is my HD gun.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess that does it then.  No need for all these fancy optics, back to the carry handles for all of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

---

I love using irons and they are my favorite sight to use but if my life depends on it I would take my T-1.  No way irons are faster or superior in any way other than precision in optimum light conditions. Also I think I could break the irons on my AR or Scar easier than my T-1.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#33]
AR with glass.

Long range sniping at people you don't know are friend or foe seems like a sketchy plan.

Being able to seems like a good skill to have.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Other. AK and Rakurs 1x sight (no batteries).
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#35]
AR15 w/ an Aimpoint along with an ACOG both in QD mounts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

A regular AR will get you to 600 with the right ammo if you know what you're doing.   The precision rifle does it more easily, more consistently, and generally has an optic that allows you to find the target better.

People tend to try being invisible when you want to shoot at them.  

Don't forget that you can use QD mounts to swap optics.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

---

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

---

The dark is where a RDS shines.  DD blew up and dropped a T1 from a helicopter so I think they are reliable enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#38]
AR with red dot if I am on the move. Precision bolt gun if I am bugged in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#39]
11.5" AR with either my EoTech or my 3X ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
None of the above. A  shotgun. You can use it for hunting.
View Quote

For end of the world survival, there is nothing better.  PERIOD.  Everything from small birdshot to upland game, waterfowl, deer, buckshot and slugs for personal defense, all in one gun.  Next best is a .22LR.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

AR with red dot if I am on the move. Precision bolt gun if I am bugged in.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#42]
AR with red dot.

But, I often flip flop between my ak (m92), 10.5 ar (rds), and my 16" with a 1-6x

I always go back to my 10.5.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#43]
My suppressed 11.5" SBR AR15 in 5.56 with a 1-6x swfa SS optic.

Or my suppressed 10.2" 300 blackout AR15 with 1-6x swfa SS.

Or my integrally suppressed 10/22 takedown with 1-4x leupold.

I don't like the idea of red dots for SHTF. What happens when the battery runs out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rakurs is 3x, but a great choice. And it will be easier to find have batteriesvthen bullets in shtf if you run a micro.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

That rifle, sir, is begging to be SBR'd!

I chose AR-15/Red Dot and my 1st choice in ammo is MK262/BH 77 gr. 5.56mm OTM.

I need to build a MK12 or RECCE...
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The rakurs is 3x, but a great choice. And it will be easier to find have batteriesvthen bullets in shtf if you run a micro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, Rakurs is 1X, Kashtan is 2.8X.
Kashtan on SG31-94
Rakurs on SGL21-94
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#47]
The main problem is deciding who you want to kill (or not) from 300 yards away.

This is one reason gunfights typically occur at short ranges. Now military groups in identifiable factions are a little different, but they still usually fight from 300 yards or less. Obviously the environment will affect engagement distances also.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My Scar 17 with ACOG
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:36:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top