Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 2:02:29 AM EDT
Why aren't there any striker fired, center fire, semi auto rifles which use STANAG, AK-47- or AK-74 magazines? The VZ-58 is nice, but it uses its own style of magazine, and it technically has a linear hammer separate from the firing pin, which is rather heavier than the striker in most striker fired guns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:22:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm trying to think of a single striker fired assault rifle, none come to mind.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If I had to guess, I'd say it's because there's no real technical benefit. I think (but I am not an engineer) that for select fire you need many of the same parts anyway (sear, disconnector) so the only thing you really "lose" going select-striker-fire is the hammer. Completely different use case than for a bolt action.

I'd also guess that a hammer is cheaper to manufacture and easier to service, long term.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
VZ58 uses a "linear hammer".
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VZ58 uses a "linear hammer".
View Quote

That's why I mentioned it in the top post. Look, no edits!

Anyway, the VZ-58 is a neat design, but it doesn't seem to get rid of much moving mass. From photos, its linear hammer might even be heavier than some rifles'conventional hammers.

My biggest complaint with the VZ-58, though, is that it uses its own unique magazine. I don't think I'd have started this thread if the VZ-58 used AK magazines.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh...to have Glock produce a carbine...the awesomeness!  One can only hope.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top