Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 9:54:10 AM EDT
I've got my families old dart gun, it's a H&R single shot, supposedly chambered in 32 ga, but with a rifled barrel for the dart. I've been wondering about trying to find a different barrel for it. Anyone have any experience with these? Is the receiver strong enough for a shotgun barrel? It looks plenty solid and the same as other actual H&R's I've seen, but I haven't been able to compare side by side.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You contact H&R / NEF yet? They will give you an answer. May not be what you want to hear, but you'll know if it's something H&R / NEF will do.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You contact H&R / NEF yet? They will give you an answer. May not be what you want to hear, but you'll know if it's something H&R / NEF will do.
View Quote
I expected a "don't mess with it" attitude from them, since it was never intended to be an actual firearm, just a dart gun powered by 22 blanks. And I hear you can't order barrels, they have to be "fitted" even though I know some guys that switch constantly between their many H&R's.

I planned to try and hunt down an extra barrel privately or maybe through a shop, but I bet I can't send this in to them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
here is a forum that specializes in H&R single shots:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

I'm sure that someone there can help you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah I've read a thread or two over there on these, guys collect them. Can't get too excited about joining a single shot forum! I just want to get this functional (if it's cheap), either barrel swap, or a machined down .410 adapter for a 20ga, whatever, open to ideas or suggestions.

I just find single shot guns so pointless I wouldn't want to spend much on it, especially since you can sometimes buy the real deal for $100 maybe less

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah I've read a thread or two over there on these, guys collect them. Can't get too excited about joining a single shot forum! I just want to get this functional (if it's cheap), either barrel swap, or a machined down .410 adapter for a 20ga, whatever, open to ideas or suggestions.  

I just find single shot guns so pointless I wouldn't want to spend much on it, especially since you can sometimes buy the real deal for $100 maybe less  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joining shouldn't be that traumatic since you're doing it only to get info on one beater and just don't log back onto the site when you're done. That is what I did. No biggie.
You should be able from posting the model & serial # there  whether it can have another barrel fitted by H&R and, if not, what kind of coin you could get from it by selling to a collector.
The .410 GA adapter being turned down may be OK, Never heard of it but that doesn't mean it cannot be done. Though may be cheaper just to buy a new .410 GA from H&R.

Just a word of caution if you buy an extra barrel from that site, A lot of the early H&R frames were made from soft cast iron and will blow up worse than the Glock meme if used with a high pressure chambering. Be real sure of what you got before you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Joining shouldn't be that traumatic since you're doing it only to get info on one beater and just don't log back onto the site when you're done. That is what I did. No biggie.

You should be able from posting the model & serial # there  whether it can have another barrel fitted by H&R and, if not, what kind of coin you could get from it by selling to a collector.

The .410 GA adapter being turned down may be OK, Never heard of it but that doesn't mean it cannot be done. Though may be cheaper just to buy a new .410 GA from H&R.

Just a word of caution if you buy an extra barrel from that site, A lot of the early H&R frames were made from soft cast iron and will blow up worse than the Glock meme if used with a high pressure chambering. Be real sure of what you got before you pull the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes that's my concern, I believe it's a SB1 vs SB2 issue, I was planning on going 20 gauge most likely, maybe 12, to be safe. If I understand correctly any receiver from them can handle those rounds.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Clean it up and hang it on the wall.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Clean it up and hang it on the wall.
View Quote
I already have two wall hangers, a .410 single shot bought by my great-great grandfather, and a 32 S&W rimfire Remington model 6 "falling block" single shot left in the house my grandparents bought. Besides, dart guns aren't exactly an oddity around here! And it's really rusted up on the barrel

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm 99.9% sure that's a large firing pin cast SB1 frame (shotgun).

Just buy a used shotgun barrel off of the "for sale" section at graybeards. Or see if someone will trade you for it.

Lots of good people over there.
View Quote
It should be a standard shotgun receiver as far as I know, and if I remember my past reading on this issue, it was the SB1 I think. Forgot the difference, but I want a shotgun barrel anyway so it's not a problem. I just haven't ever read that it's standard before, everyone wants them as is, but I'd rather use it since it's not a collectible or sentimental piece. And a short handy 20ga may be perfect companion on "adventures" into our "untamed" pastures! Lol

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Now I'm more confused, here's H&R website picture:

Here is my receiver

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now I'm more confused, here's H&R website picture:

<a href="http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Cody-Chloe_Toews/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-08-29-22-10-04_zps57fea86b.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y401/Cody-Chloe_Toews/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-08-29-22-10-04_zps57fea86b.png</a>

Here is my receiver

<a href="http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Cody-Chloe_Toews/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140829_221015021_zps542d7d11.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y401/Cody-Chloe_Toews/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140829_221015021_zps542d7d11.jpg</a>

View Quote

Yep Dart gun only.  For $125 you can buy one of their single shot shotguns, out of some pawn shop. For another $125 , $250 you can pick up a nice used 12 or 20 ga pump.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Yep Dart gun only.  For $125 you can buy one of their single shot shotguns, out of some pawn shop. For another $125 , $250 you can pick up a nice used 12 or 20 ga pump.
View All Quotes

OK, those frame I.D. pics apply to 1987 or newer, my family ran a lot of cattle in the 80's so they should have had it already, and the serial # points to pre '87 manufacture as well. So more reading I guess. I'm the kind of guy that feels like he has to use this since I already have it. EDIT: sounds like it's a pre -87 shotgun/low pressure rifle receiver. If I can find a 20ga barrel locally I'll try it, I guess. (They do shoot these with 32ga shells, but I'm not paying $12+ for 25 shells from Midway).

And I hear you on buying a different gun. I bought a Western field (Mossberg) 500 from a friend for $150 or less. 30" full choke, wood stocks. Well, I already had a 30" full 870 (Much better shotgun IMO) so I put the western field barrel in the lathe and cut it off at 18.5", and ordered a hogue forend and pistol grip, have had a lot of fun with that! And yes, a pistol grip only shotgun is not good for much, I just like the size, only shoot birshot, and mainly use for skunks, armadillos, etc

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got my families old dart gun, it's a H&R single shot, supposedly chambered in 32 ga, but with a rifled barrel for the dart. I've been wondering about trying to find a different barrel for it, or somehow trying to make it usable, but a liner would probably get too expensive for me on a project like this. Anyone have any experience with these? Is the receiver strong enough for a shotgun barrel? It looks plenty solid and the same as other actual H&R's I've seen, but I haven't been able to compare side by side.

Also this is legal right? The flare gun conversions and such make me think it is
View Quote

Reload?  Magtech makes all brass 32 Gauge hulls.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119743/magtech-shotshell-hulls-32-gauge-2-1-2-brass-box-of-25

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/brass/shotgun-brass/magtech-shotshell-brass-32-gauge-sku100013040-56263-118659.aspx

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got my families old dart gun, it's a H&R single shot, supposedly chambered in 32 ga, but with a rifled barrel for the dart. I've been wondering about trying to find a different barrel for it, or somehow trying to make it usable, but a liner would probably get too expensive for me on a project like this. Anyone have any experience with these? Is the receiver strong enough for a shotgun barrel? It looks plenty solid and the same as other actual H&R's I've seen, but I haven't been able to compare side by side.

Also this is legal right? The flare gun conversions and such make me think it is

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119743/magtech-shotshell-hulls-32-gauge-2-1-2-brass-box-of-25

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/brass/shotgun-brass/magtech-shotshell-brass-32-gauge-sku100013040-56263-118659.aspx

Yeah I saw those, I have a single stage press but haven't got started yet, not sure what you use for brass shotgun shells, I'd rather just get a barrel and buy 100 packs of 20ga

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Call H&R Tuesday and ask them what can be done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Call H&R Tuesday and ask them what can be done.
View Quote
Yeah I'm going to call, but they do not put barrel's on pre-1987 guns which I have

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had several H&R/NEF singles and never knew they made anything like that.
That's a pretty cool find!. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your project.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#19]
If you haven't modified it yet and it's in decent condition, you could sell it to me and buy a different gun that you could use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#20]
OK I have been calling and calling H&R, I got a person to answer once, he transferred me and they never answered. I've been trying the last 2 days and just sit on hold forever until I hang up. They have no email address on the site.

I'm still trying to find a barrel locally but I'm not sure what I can get away with on this receiver. I'd like 20ga, but .410/45, or 22lr, anything like that, would be fine, if it can handle it. (I'm not worried about 22lr of course)

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you haven't modified it yet and it's in decent condition, you could sell it to me and buy a different gun that you could use.
View Quote
It's very rusty on the barrel, I cleaned the receiver up. I don't really want to sell, just make it usable. It is neat and was used by my family so I'd like to just have a unique H&R with a usable caliber/gauge barrel. I hope to get some cattle soon and I may need the dart gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
So is it a .32GA or does it fire .22 blanks?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rifled bbl?  Make your own 32Ga slugs?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So is it a .32GA or does it fire .22 blanks?

View Quote
32 gauge rifled barrel. They came with an adapter that the darts slide over which accepted a 22blank for propellant. I can't find the adapter or I would post pics

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had the stuff to do it I might, but that isn't really an option for me, I haven't even started reloading and had no plans of casting to avoid all the lead exposure
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Gotcha.

Guns were made in the US into the 30s. A 158gn round ball load was offered for the Winchester 1886 RIFLE. Bore diameter is .526"

Cast round ball slugs hand loaded in brass hulls would be my plan.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I was hoping someone could ID the receiver or say they put "X" barrel on one and it hasn't blown up!

The receiver is pre-1987, not an SB1or SB2. I think it's a shotgun/low pressure rifle receiver but would like varification before I try it.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Wanna trade it for a sb1 slug gun???

I'll hang it on the wall as a curiosity.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Wanna trade it for a sb1 slug gun???

I'll hang it on the wall as a curiosity.
View Quote
Not really, I would like to keep it as a curiosity but have a usable barrel to go with it, I may need the dart capabilities when I get cattle. I just thought I might find a 20ga barrel separately and use the gun in the mean time

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#30]
OP- I believe that has some collector value as is. I wouldn't be in a rush to try and make it into just another cheap, single-shot shotgun.

Just my $0.02

ETA- Why not just pick up a used, single-shot shotgun at a show. I see them all the time for ~$100.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

OP- I believe that has some collector value as is. I wouldn't be in a rush to try and make it into just another cheap, single-shot shotgun.
Just my $0.02
ETA- Why not just pick up a used, single-shot shotgun at a show. I see them all the time for ~$100.
View Quote
As I've said I want to keep it, I decided not to modify it, may even use it again on cattle some day, they aren't really collectible (as near as I can tell), they bring $100-$150 on GB, and there are lots of them out there. I just thought I might use an extra barrel to shoot it, and keep the original on hand just in case. If the receiver can handle a different barrel that is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top