Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 12:37:54 PM EDT
I kind of get a chuckle out of the gun mags as of late, especially the Ruger LCR.  I am a Ruger fan, and own more than my share, but when the LCR came out, it was in all the mags and on all the TV shows.  It was touted as being great and wonderful for no exposed hammer and a polymer wonder.  Now that the version with a hammer spur is out, it seems to be all that the same gun mags and TV shows can talk about.  I think the addition of a hammer spur to a revolver (gasp) does not warrant 18 - 4 page articles in different gun magazines and 4 articles on the TV shows.  

Too bad Smith & Wesson didn't think about doing this with their revolvers yet.........Oh they did, about a hundred years ago!  Colt, Taurus, Rossi..........

Anyway, do any of you actually read these articles?  I can't bring myself to waste that much of my life on that stuff.

Also ( I know, no chance)  I would actually like to see some negative points brought up about some of these firearms that are tested.  Once in a while, please.  If you listen to Guns and Ammo and American Rifleman TV, that R51 was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  What a complete cluster.  Even constructive criticism would be nice.  About the best we get now is "That 500 S&W revolver may not be the best choice for a beginner".

Anyhow, rant off.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I completely agree, gun magazines (most) have lost almost all credibility in my eyes. I find myself swearing as I turn the pages, unable to really tell the difference between their advertisements and articles because everything is so damn positive. I thought the same thing when reading about the "amazing, game changing R51". I keep telling myself I won't read that crap, but somehow when bored at the grocery store with my wife I still end up rifling through their pages.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I gave up on them 20 years ago and it sounds like nothing has changed. Every new thing reviewed was the greatest ever and will revolutionize the industry. Could have two different guns in the same glossy magazine that were both the ultimate carry piece and the last handgun you'll ever need to buy.

Picked up one a few years later and saw that the Remington EtronX was going to revolutionize the rifle industry and put it right back down
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Gave up on gun mags a long time ago, do not miss them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Gun rags are just a profit deal.  Nice photos and that's about the only thing worthwhile.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I still get them because my father has a number of subscriptions to them and when he is done reading hem he mails them to me in a bulk package.

I read them for entertainment when I'm on the throne.

Most publications that review anything are for profit companies. If they give out negative reviews then they loose advertisement dollars; which happen to be their main source of income. The subscribers aren't the main money maker. They are just the main source that the ads are directed too.

Firearms as a whole have not evolved much since the 1980s. Just about everything under the sun is a comestic update or slight redesign of a design that has been out for a while. There will not be any revolutionary advancements in firearms until we develop a new source of ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm certainly not implying that they should lose money by pissing off their real customers, and my opinions on the matter aren't important to them because I wouldn't subscribe to print mags even if they were 100% honest, but if enough people get tired of it and no one is reading magazines the advertisers won't be advertising anymore.

Jeez, I've really had a problem with run on sentences lately.

Like with Playboy (back in the dark ages), I suspect many people do not buy Guns & Ammo for the articles.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm certainly not implying that they should lose money by pissing off their real customers, and my opinions on the matter aren't important to them because I wouldn't subscribe to print mags even if they were 100% honest, but if enough people get tired of it and no one is reading magazines the advertisers won't be advertising anymore.

Jeez, I've really had a problem with run on sentences lately.

Like with Playboy (back in the dark ages), I suspect many people do not buy Guns & Ammo for the articles.
View Quote

They're still shrinking in readers just like newspapers and other print magazines.

Real honest reviews are found online nowadays by honest consumers. But even there is starting ti get murky. A number of "reviews" are paid by the company or they are slanderous attacks on a product or company. Some have been arrested because of it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
True dat.
With the exception of Americqan Handgunner, gun rags are nothing but bootlickers for the manufacturers
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked to read GunTests, and feel as though they are somewhat more creditable since they do comparisons of 3-4 very similar makes/models of guns at the same time. It is just more than I want to pay for a newsletter format. I might go for $10-$15 a year for a digital version though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a gun mag "gun reviews"IIRC(Nope gun tests, ^ Bastard beat me)  , that does pretty objective reviews and is fair, they rate them with pluses and minuses and very little "OH THIS IS AWESOME!!! NEWEST BESTEST"
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is a gun mag "gun reviews"IIRC(Nope gun tests, ^ Bastard beat me)  , that does pretty objective reviews and is fair, they rate them with pluses and minuses and very little "OH THIS IS AWESOME!!! NEWEST BESTEST"
View Quote

That's true enough as far as it goes.  Gun Tests is fairly short on typical gunrag fuckery like shooting a 5-shot group at 7 yards, getting a group that looks like Helen Keller heaved railroad spikes at the target, and then saying "Good enough for combat accuracy".  (See most recent Blue Press article about the CZ 999).  

On the other hand, the quality of their input is not much better than asking Fred at the range what he thinks about his new gun, and if a gun is expensive, that seems to count against it.    

I subscribed for a few years but I wasn't learning much from it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Gun mags are the print version of GD. Multiple threads all talking about the same subject. None of which are objective, like gun rags, merely an opinion.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
20 to 30 years ago I started noticing that gun magazines would amazingly have an ad in the middle of the article about the same gun that was being reviewed, and not-so-much to my surprise I noticed the same thing in magazines for other interest.

I think you can still obtain some basic information from gun magazines, but like a smart consumer of any product you have to get all of the info from as many sources as possible and sort of weed out the crap.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Only 20 ads from Springfield Armory & Kimber in a 60 page magazine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
The gun mags (uh that usually means a form of ammo container) here in Sweden aren't at all as overwhelmingly positive as the American magazines. I guess our market is way to small for any form of bribed reviewing to occur.

The downside is that sometimes articles are based on kind of crappy and inconclusive testing. It's not all bad, but accuracy testing for example is often not done in a very in depth manner. The writers really do what they can to honestly report their inconclusive results,though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I gave up on them 20 years ago and it sounds like nothing has changed. Every new thing reviewed was the greatest ever and will revolutionize the industry. Could have two different guns in the same glossy magazine that were both the ultimate carry piece and the last handgun you'll ever need to buy.

Picked up one a few years later and saw that the Remington EtronX was going to revolutionize the rifle industry and put it right back down
View Quote

me too.........

oh,yeah..................I have some EtronX ammo too!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Gun magazines are completely pointless.  I don't read them any more. I look at the model photos in the Blue Press and then I put it in the garbage.  What is the point of a monthly catalog that features no new products, ever?

All the mainstream gun magazines are rags.  Nothing negative is ever said and most of the authors are FUDDs or wannabe SEALs.  To them shooting one box of ammo from a clean pistol at 7 yards is a sufficient test of a new gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Gave up on them during that whole "My short magnum is better than your short magnum" debate years back.

I did subscribe to Gun Tests for a number of years and really enjoyed it but they sort of ran out of stuff to compare so they got pretty silly too.

ARFcom, 6.5Grendel.com  and THR are all I read anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I quit buying the rag mags because they were costing me too much money.  It is much cheaper when you don't know the new stuff that is hitting the market.  

And then came the arfcom.............
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gave up on them during that whole "My short magnum is better than your short magnum" debate years back.
View Quote

LOL... I saw the collateral damage from that in American Rifleman at the time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the greatest gun magazine issue of all time. It is an issue of Concealed Carry Volume 10 Issue 6. There is a 4 page article about how if you carry a 1911, you will be under armed unless you carry TWO 1911s and 4 spare mags. It is the most hilarious piece of writing I have ever seen. I kept the magazine around to show the article to people when they start trusting "professional gun reviewers" .
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Either that shooter sucks or that pistol does.  That is a TERRIBLE group.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true enough as far as it goes.  Gun Tests is fairly short on typical gunrag fuckery like shooting a 5-shot group at 7 yards, getting a group that looks like Helen Keller heaved railroad spikes at the target, and then saying "Good enough for combat accuracy".  (See most recent Blue Press article about the CZ 999).  

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/kemays/media/cz999_zpsb24e1d65.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/cz999_zpsb24e1d65.jpg</a>

On the other hand, the quality of their input is not much better than asking Fred at the range what he thinks about his new gun, and if a gun is expensive, that seems to count against it.    

I subscribed for a few years but I wasn't learning much from it.

Either that shooter sucks or that pistol does.  That is a TERRIBLE group.

You probably meant to say, "decent combat accuracy."

But seriously, if all shots aren't touching at 7 yards, there is a big problem somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I dropped subscriptions to all of them except two:   American Rifleman and Outdoor Life.   The former comes with my NRA subscription.  There is some decent info there about exposed schematics for gun repair, reloading data and occasionally some comparison tests on bullets, ammo, or such.  The rest is just advertising, including the "reviews," which never seem to say anything negative about the products.

I read Outdoor Life primarily for the hunting and fishing stories, ignoring the product reviews.  Annual comparison testing does have some credibility.   I find their annual comparison testing of new optics is actually pretty objective.  Otherwise, its only more advertising disguised as product review.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have the greatest gun magazine issue of all time. It is an issue of Concealed Carry Volume 10 Issue 6. There is a 4 page article about how if you carry a 1911, you will be under armed unless you carry TWO 1911s and 4 spare mags. It is the most hilarious piece of writing I have ever seen. I kept the magazine around to show the article to people when they start trusting "professional gun reviewers" .
View Quote

Would it be a copyright infringement to ask if you might scan and post the article?  

Not wanting to get anyone in trouble!!

Doc
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I would read just about any gun magazine I could find, but I came to the same conclusion you did. Most were nothing but glorified advertisements.

I read three gun mags. American Handgunner and Guns Magazine (both owned by the same publishing company with the same writers) and the other is S.W.A.T Magazine. S.W.A.T. Went through a positive change a year or two ago. They changed from a mostly law enforcement format (Special Weapons and Tactics) to a non-LE format called "SURVIVAL Weapons and Tactics". It was a good magazine before and an even better one now.

Those are the three general gun mags I read. I usually pick up the annual Glock, AK and AR magazines, and I always read Guns of the Old West. If you like western guns, western movies and frontier history it's the best magazine out there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Would it be a copyright infringement to ask if you might scan and post the article?  

Doc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

After seeing that post I looked online for it. I haven't read it yet but here is the complete magazine available online.

Concealed Carry Magazine
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:32:24 AM EDT
[#28]
This reminds me of what happened to the car mags about 30 years ago. You would actually get an honest review on a car back in the day. Then various corporations would buy them out and there was no car brand that you shouldn't buy according to the new talking heads. The advertising became the most obvious sign.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

After seeing that post I looked online for it. I haven't read it yet but here is the complete magazine available online.

Concealed Carry Magazine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

Concealed Carry Magazine

Page #?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Ever read a negative review of a gun in a gun rag? I haven't. Which isn't surprising, since the gun press is supported by the advertising dollars of the industry. If you want unbiased evaluations, you are more likely to find them in online gun forums, like this one. Considering that more and more people are waking up to this fact, and gun magazine readership is falling, these publications are relying more and more on the advertising revenue, and less and less on the sales and subscriptions of the magazines themselves. Eventually the advertisers will wake up to the falling circulation, and that stream of revenue will dry up as well. What we have is a classic death spiral of this particular genre.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I have not bought a gun magazine in about 15 years. I have a friend who has all the subscriptions to G&A, Handguns, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, American Rifleman, and a few others. About 4 years ago, every few months he passes them on to me. He knows I won't pay for the rags and he prefers to pass them on to recycle. I then pass them on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

HEY, I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top