Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2014 7:53:41 PM EDT
I have a problem, I can never be satisfied. Owning a fair amount of firearms you think i would be happy by now. I own what I consider to be a very nice highly modified DPMS pattern .308 rifle. This gun sports a very accurate 16 inch barrel, free floating rail, Geissele trigger and topped with primo glass. It's a great rifle, but its not a M1A. I want a Socom 16 just a plain jain .308 battle rifle.

I have toyed with the idea of trying to find someone to trade straight across for a Socom 16.

Currently set up which is better? I have over 10 mags and some time invested in this DPMS, am i crazy for wanting a rifle that takes different and more expensive mags?

What would you do?

" />
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, serious question. Are you smoking crack?

In all seriousness though, the M1A/M14 is a great weapon, but it doesn't hold a candle to the AR10/SR25. If you want one, then buy it. No  one here will admonish you for doing so, but they simply arent as good as an AR10. Less accurate, higher maintenance, more expensive parts, harder to mount optics to, heavier, worse ergos, etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In all seriousness though, the M1A/M14 is a great weapon, but it doesn't hold a candle to the AR10/SR25. If you want one, then buy it. No  one here will admonish you for doing so, but they simply arent as good as an AR10. Less accurate, higher maintenance, more expensive parts, harder to mount optics to, heavier, worse ergos, etc.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get what you're saying, but for some reason i can't help doing the opposite of what is normal
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I get what you're saying, but for some reason i can't help doing the opposite of what is normal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say that as someone whose battle rifles are all FAL's or HK/PTR, so I dont exactly go with the grain either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of people will say the AR10 variants aren't durable enough to be considered a "battle rifle" and would prefer the M1A/M14.  Me personally I like the idea of building a light, modern large frame AR...have not had this long enough to comment on durability yet though.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot of people will say the AR10 variants aren't durable enough to be considered a "battle rifle" and would prefer the M1A/M14.  Me personally I like the idea of building a light, modern large frame AR...have not had this long enough to comment on durability yet though.  

<a href="http://s46.photobucket.com/user/SkeldZ06/media/20140824_112344_zpsmfxqtd5d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/SkeldZ06/20140824_112344_zpsmfxqtd5d.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice looking rifle.  Are those the Gen II receivers?  Do you know the weight with optic?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want a Socom 16 just a plain jain .308 battle rifle.
View Quote

Have you fired a SOCOM yet? Did you like the proprietary compensator?
The SOCOM is a great little carbine and I have a custom built 16.25" M14, but you may
find the 18" Bush/Scout/MK14 to be a better short barreled M14 pattern rifle overall.
The 18" barrel generates extra muzzle velocity, and it's easier to swap muzzle devices on the 18".

Here is my CQB-16 in walnut... it's currently in a Blackfeather "RS".

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very nice looking rifle.  Are those the Gen II receivers?  Do you know the weight with optic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s46.photobucket.com/user/SkeldZ06/media/20140824_112344_zpsmfxqtd5d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/SkeldZ06/20140824_112344_zpsmfxqtd5d.jpg</a>

Thanks.  Yes it's a DPMS G2 AP4 with the MI 12" rail.  Slightly under 7 pounds no optic or sling, 8.6 pounds as pictured minus the magazine.  This is a Weaver 1-5 in an ADM Recon...14 oz. scope, so not super heavy, but by the time you add the mount it does add quite a bit of weight compared to running an Aimpoint T1.  But for this rifle I feel like the magnification is worthwhile.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#9]
DMPS does not make an AR10.

I hear Armalite does.  Mine's an exceptional weapon.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

No shit, eh?

Notice I said AR10 variants.  We could also say Large Frame AR if you prefer.  DPMS/SR-25 pattern?  It doesn't much matter to me.  As long as I personally don't have a non-SR25 pattern Armalite lower I'm happy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
2 inches more of barrel in 308 will not give you that much velocity.
About 50 fps.  Really nothing.

Had both. Both are no where as good as a scar 17 but the ar 10
Is a better choice for accuracy. More modifications can be made to it.
Better trigger.  Did get another ar10 just because you can mod it more.

Socom or any m1 is only better at shooting off hand.  Groups shift even
If you bed the action. It was never a accurate platform. Hence you see less at nm
And more ar's now
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The 18.0" barrel has 1.75" more barrel than the SOCOM, and it does generate more muzzle velocity.
The big difference between the 16.25" and the 18.0" is how easy it is to change muzzle devices on the 18"

The M14/M1A can be modded about as much as a .308 AR. The M14 trigger can be superior
and repeatable sub MOA accuracy is not hard to achieve with the M14 pattern rifle. Shorter M14
barrels tend to be more accurate than their longer counterparts because they have less barrel whip.

When finished, this lightweight 16.25" CQB-16 will be capable of much more than just shooting offhand.

There are millions of ARs in the USA, and only about 400K M14/M1A rifles, that's why you see more ARs.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The 18.0" barrel has 1.75" more barrel than the SOCOM, and it does generate more muzzle velocity.
The big difference between the 16.25" and the 18.0" is how easy it is to change muzzle devices on the 18"

The M14/M1A can be modded about as much as a .308 AR. The M14 trigger can be superior
and repeatable sub MOA accuracy is not hard to achieve with the M14 pattern rifle. Shorter M14
barrels tend to be more accurate than their longer counterparts because they have less barrel whip.

When finished, this lightweight 16.25" CQB-16 will be capable of much more than just shooting offhand.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/FDE-BF-RS.2.JPG

There are millions of ARs in the USA, and only about 400K M14/M1A rifles, that's why you see more ARs.

View Quote

That's a damn fine looking weapon.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

I guess we are splitting hairs now?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dont get me wrong i like that but theres something about a OD green Socom 16 and a Aimpoint Pro on it the turns me on.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

Calling a DPMS an "AR10" over in AR Variants is like a declaration of war.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dont get me wrong i like that but theres something about a OD green Socom 16 and a Aimpoint Pro on it the turns me on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have plenty of options

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both and recommend having both.  You have so much in your rifle, it would be a shame to start over.

FWIW I would trade my socom for the 18" scout.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#19]
As a sniper in SF, I used the M14 variants (M21, M25, EBR) the SR25, M110, and many more. The rifle you have is SO much better and easier to work with in general than any M14 variant. Don't do it. When I got out, the first personal rifle I got rid of was a M1A match, but I kept the LT OBR. I'll probably be buried with my OBR.  I don't regret getting rid of the M1A for a second.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

I never understood why the large frame AR owners are so damn touchy.  Must have a lot invested in brand recognition.

How often does some one get called out for referring to a XM15-E2S, or N4, or GTR-3H, or DEFENDER 2000, as an "AR-15"?

AR-10 or not, the lowly DPMS G2 is great innovation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I never understood why the large frame AR owners are so damn touchy.  Must have a lot invested in brand recognition.

How many often does some one get called out for referring to a XM15-E2S, or N4, or GTR-3H, or DEFENDER 2000, as an "AR-15"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

How many often does some one get called out for referring to a XM15-E2S, or N4, or GTR-3H, or DEFENDER 2000, as an "AR-15"?

I just generally lump it all together. If its a grown up ar15 and shoots .308 then its an Ar10 to me.

Besides this is my thread and ill call them whatever i want. So nanny nanny boo boo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just generally lump it all together. If its a grown up ar15 and shoots .308 then its an Ar10 to me.

Besides this is my thread and ill call them whatever i want. So nanny nanny boo boo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

Yeah, even though I'm well versed in the various nuances of large frame AR's, I will still refer them to as AR10's since they are all based on that original Stoner design, and people figure out it's something different but related to the infamous AR15 when you use that terminology.  Armalite owners do tend to get touchy about it though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#23]
With all the short coming of the M1A, I have to say that it is one of the most beautiful rifles I know:

Only if:
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up keeping the AR10. it makes too much sense to keep it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

LarryG, is that you?

I do not consider the M1A/M14 to be superior to a quality AR-10 clone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I ended up keeping the AR10. it makes too much sense to keep it.
View Quote

Cool ... now you can save up and build a modernized SOCOM.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Absolutely, get both.

Nice rifle H2OMan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top