Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 4:15:19 PM EDT
APEX has parts kits and barrels. What about receivers? Any good builders for these? Only heard bad things about the Wiselite builds.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm with you. I would LOVE a semi auto MG42
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm with you. I would LOVE a semi auto MG42
View Quote

Don't forget a slidefire/bumpski.

In all seriousness, I think there might be a tripod bumpfire setup for the MGs.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We had a semi Wiselite MG42 in the shop for a while, and although it looks cool sitting there, the MG42 design is in my opinion just way too complicated internally, especially for a semiauto. Also the semis are a pain to load, you have to hold the charging handle back while loading a belt in the open top cover- no fun at all.  

Building is also for someone who is patient, good at welding, and mechanically inclined.  

Bet resource for build info is probably www.mg42.us

Sven

Manticore Arms

View Quote

This might sound like a retard of a question, but is there a possibility that a BHO function to be added to ease the pain of loading a Semi-Auto belt-fed?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not necessary to hold the bolt open to load the MG42/M53/MG3 as a semi auto build.  You simply place the first round next to the slot in the feed tray and close the cover.  When you pull back the charging handle it will advance the belt and load the round as the bolt goes forward.

I have a Wiselite build and it's not something i would attempt to build myself as it is just too involved.  Mine did not run correctly either and needed some tweaking.  Unfortunately mine ran away on me while at a Police range in St Augustine Florida.  Emptied a 50 round belt in no time!  Luckily the police at the range were not douches and understood it was a weapons failure.  The problem ended up being the small firing pin spring was too weak and allowed it to slam fire.

Taken the day it went FA on me.

At a local event in College Station.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The weapon itself is not that complicated..thats why the design is still used by the German Army today...72 years after introduction....It is probably one of the best most enduring machine gun designs in the world.

I have one MG3 build and another on the way. I have a superb gunsmith here in Missouri who knows these weapons but I dont know about others. You could try asking this on mg42.com or beltfed.com.  You can try RTG parts for most of what you need. He has all the correct stuff for an MG3 build. He stocks the rear receiver parts which is the major thing you are missing from your kit. You will also have to buy a semi grip/fire control unit, which he also stocks. I personally would recommend going with the MG3 build over the 42 as 8mm Mauser has all but dried up. The MG3 would require a diff barrel, topcover and feed tray but this gives you the abililty to use .308 ammo and disintegrating links.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Good info everyone. Got some reading to do over on mg42.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top