Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 6:56:30 PM EDT
I've never done a trade in on a pistol (or any firearm), but I am considering trading my used Glock 23. I was curious how to approach the LGS about this transaction. This might be a dumb question however...

I have a few extra mags that did not come with the gun originally. Do stores give you more "credit" in the trade if you throw in extra mags, or should I hold on to the extras and try to sell them on the EE here?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell the pistol yourself, you're going to get raped trading it in. You should have no problem finding a buyer for a Glock 23 as long as you price it right. FFL is probably going to only offer you $200 in trade.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
why are you getting rid of it? what are you trading for? with the expection of one gun I wish I never sold or traded the others.
just buy out right

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell the pistol yourself, you're going to get raped trading it in. You should have no problem finding a buyer for a Glock 23 as long as you price it right. FFL is probably going to only offer you $200 in trade.
View Quote

Yeah, bring your own lube because it's gonna hurt.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
the LGS is going to belittle everything about your gun - offer you 200 bucks, and then.....

Three days later - it will be an awesome gun worth 450 bucks.

Just sell it for 450 yourself.

I will never forget watching the guys at a LGS finger F/ing a georgous S&W Model 34 Kit Gun and offering 150 for it - funny it is one that get raved over when you talk about Jacksonville FL and AR's

Of course YMMV,

Red

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I'm wanting to trade it for a S&W M&P 9 compact, but from what I'm hearing it might not be worth it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I'm wanting to trade it for a S&W M&P 9 compact, but from what I'm hearing it might not be worth it.
View Quote

Just put up a WTT ad in the EE, I think a G23 would be a fair trade for the one you want.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I work for a gun store.  We tell people outright they would be better off selling their gun on their own.  It's the same as a used vehicle.  You get more on a private sale than you would a trade in.  I can buy the gun new, cheaper than the customer.  Hence, I can offer even less on trade in for a used gun and still be able to make a profit.  I won't try to beat down someones gun, but I will be honest with them when it comes to what I can pay for a used gun.  A lot of customers come in asking more for a used firearm than I can buy one new.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#8]
^What they said, and that goes double for the extra mags.   Extra mags would get pennies if anything on a trade where they are already going to screw you.  Even if you unload the gun I would stash factory high caps away.  They don't take up much space and may turn into gold again for the next scare.  Or maybe in the future you'll pick up another gun that will take them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
This...you are going to get taken behind the wood shed trading anything at a shop, might take a while to sell on the classifieds, and it might be a bit of a hassle in spots...but in the end well worth it.
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
If you brought into my shop, I would offer around $300 if it looks nearly new.  Significant holster wear.  around $200 maybe $250 with the mags.

You will always be better off selling it yourself, although if you have to ship it out of state, it will cost $50 to $75 for overnight through FedEx

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Get you some Kentucky Jelly or its gonna hurt. You're better off selling it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you brought into my shop, I would offer around $300 if it looks nearly new.  Significant holster wear.  around $200 maybe $250 with the mags.

You will always be better off selling it yourself, although if you have to ship it out of state, it will cost $50 to $75 for overnight through FedEx

View Quote

Ship through an FFL and pay the transfer fee and USPS shipping. Shipping and transfer through my FFL is about $25. Or sell/trade local and don't worry about having to spend extra money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Normally most shops aren't going to give you any extra for mags or accessories, they just go by the book value of what you are trading in, but the last shop I traded with gave me an extra $50 trade in for 5 Checkmate 1911 mags that I threw in on the deal. So never hurts to ask. And yes, selling outright is always better than trading, so you'll pay for the convenience.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Trading vs. selling privately typically comes down to time vs. money. If you have the time to sell it on your own you will make more money than trading it in. If you trade it in the time investment is almost nil.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a few extra mags that did not come with the gun originally. Do stores give you more "credit" in the trade if you throw in extra mags, or should I hold on to the extras and try to sell them on the EE here?
View Quote

Keep the extra mags & sell them yourself. LGS won't give ya squat for them.

Take the gun in, unloaded & in some sort of container. "What's this worth on a trade towards a "X" gun?" is usually how it goes. The higher the price the gun they're selling you, usually the more they allow you for your gun.

The advantage of trading it in is that you don't have to worry about where the gun might end up down the road. The FFL washes those worries away with his book entry & future BGC on the next buyer.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked at a lgs for years and always advised people to sell elsewhere cause we will hose you. Some people took the advice and some didn't.

Used glock in mint condition = $300

Used glock in Vg shape = $250
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#17]
You're going to get lubed up with sand if you try to trade/sell it to a shop, especially a LGS. Last year was at the gander mt down the rode from work just to kill time. Guy came in with a 12ga beretta o/u, "my father inlaw gave this to me years ago, I don't shoot shotgun and gotta pay the water bill." They offered him $400! I almost tripped/knocked over a rack getting to the counter. Said "give me 30mins, and I'll give you $500. I just gotta run to the bank."
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I would go over to the store and see what they offer. You can always say no.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I worked at a lgs for years and always advised people to sell elsewhere cause we will hose you. Some people took the advice and some didn't.

Used glock in mint condition = $300

Used glock in Vg shape = $250
View Quote

This was about the going rate when I worked at fun store.  It's a lot like trading in a car to a used car dealer, most of the time it is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#20]
As others stated, of course you get more for your gun selling privately. There should be no hate on a LGS buying at 200 and then selling at 400. You have to understand they are a convenience. The person who wants the money fast is the main type that trades in at gun shops. They are a business, they gotta make their money, and even though you paid 500 last month new, it may cost them 350. So with that in mind they aren't going to pay you that price for an used one. And if you aren't doubling you're money on trades as a LGS, you ain't staying in business
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top