Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 5:27:03 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with these chassis for their bolt actions? I have been looking for a tactical bolt action and decided this is the best way to go. I am thinking about buying a rifle and sacrificeing it and putting the barreled action on the XLR Chassis. Has anyone done this? How did you go about it? I would love to find the Barreled action only but not sure how to search it, cant find any. I want a .338 Lupa,or 338 win mag brand doesn't matter greatly as long as it is decent and about 1k. or a lil less.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, as I go I am finding the right direction atleast. I need a barreled action only. Does anyone know anybody who sels barreled actions? I am buying a  XLR Industries Stock/Chassis but now I have to find a decent barreled action. Bolt action........ in 338 Lupa mag

EDIT: For anyone curious in this same thing and wondering how I went about it. Savage Arms. Just buy the full rifle and swap chassis. There cheap and good from what I hear.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I"m a huge Savage fan, but I cannot get into their 338LM rifles.  If you are going to an XLR rifle caliber,  you should get a proven platform to build upon.  Sako TRG 42 comes to mind.  Savage and Remington 338LM are budget rifles, but 338LM isn't exactly a budget caliber.  Remington has had some issues with their 338LM rifles...I'm not even sure the rifles are still being offered.

I do not believe that Savage just offers the 338LM models as barreled actions only...they do with their other models.

Dropping it into an XLR or any other chassis is simple.  The XLR chassis isn't as easy as say a McRee, but XLR isn't difficult.  Kyle from XLR is awesome and I highly recommend XLR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
If you didn't know that an XLR requires a barreled action, you might not be someone who needs an XLR yet.  If you are new enough to precision rifle shooting that you are unfamiliar with the basic parts of the rifles, spending $900 on a chassis seems premature.  You stated you are looking for "cheap and good"; the XLR is the opposite of cheap.  If you have money for a Savage .338LM rifle and XLR chassis, you might be better off spending all that money on a used TRG, or just the rifle and ammo.  Did you consider that factory .338LM ammo is going to run you $4-5 per shot?  Are you already set up to reload precision rifle ammo? Do you have a range where a .338 is actually more useful than a .308 or a .300WinMag? All questions to consider if you are on a budget.

That being said, it's your money, and I've definitely bought gun stuff I didn't need before.  The XLR is a fine chassis if you like the pistol grip and the aesthetics. Installing the action is straightforward.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine had an XLR Industries chassis for his Savage 10 in 308.  I shot it a few times and it was a good chassis, but in my opinion, the design limits your options.  For example, the forend limits what bases you can put on because it surrounds the entire barrel and comes right up to the action.  So, unless you want to cut your base to fit, your options are limited.  Also, because the forend goes all around the barrel, your limited on the diameter of the barrel.  

Instead of XLR, I bought 2 chassis systems from McRee Precision.  His product are great, and I would highly recommend you checking them out if you're at a chassis.  His chassis systems are much better designed in my opinion and cheaper than XLR.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A friend of mine had an XLR Industries chassis for his Savage 10 in 308.  I shot it a few times and it was a good chassis, but in my opinion, the design limits your options.  For example, the forend limits what bases you can put on because it surrounds the entire barrel and comes right up to the action.  So, unless you want to cut your base to fit, your options are limited.  Also, because the forend goes all around the barrel, your limited on the diameter of the barrel.  

Instead of XLR, I bought 2 chassis systems from McRee Precision.  His product are great, and I would highly recommend you checking them out if you're at a chassis.  His chassis systems are much better designed in my opinion and cheaper than XLR.
View Quote

XLR also has a Monolithic chassis with out the tube Called the "Element" It also has a completely open top.  Its also a bit less expensive than the Evolution But limited inlets at the moment 700 L/S.  The savage S/A and Tikka T3 at the end of the quarter according to the website.

The Evos forend is only a limit if your running a >1.5" barrel.  I dunno about you but I don't want to haul that barrel around.  My 26" heavy varmint contour is heavy enough.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

XLR also has a Monolithic chassis with out the tube Called the "Element" It also has a completely open top.  Its also a bit less expensive than the Evolution But limited inlets at the moment 700 L/S.  The savage S/A and Tikka T3 at the end of the quarter according to the website.

The Evos forend is only a limit if your running a >1.5" barrel.  I dunno about you but I don't want to haul that barrel around.  My 26" heavy varmint contour is heavy enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarifications.  I haven't used and even looked at XLR in 2 or 3 years, so I admit that my post was from a time when they didn't have the Element chassis.  I did think the Evolution forend limited the barrel to 1.25" OD if I remember right.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the clarifications.  I haven't used and even looked at XLR in 2 or 3 years, so I admit that my post was from a time when they didn't have the Element chassis.  I did think the Evolution forend limited the barrel to 1.25" OD if I remember right.
View Quote

No worries.  The Evos tube does limit ya at a point.  If you must have the larger barrel for the bigger bores, ( everyone needs a 338 Big Baer right ) They have the Evo HD and the BMG Chassis designed around the larger actions and barrels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top