Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2014 10:51:43 PM EDT
Since the AR10 and AR180 sections were merged into the AR variants for slow traffic how about we use that bandwidth for a bolt action section ?

There is no shortage of interest in MilSurp, FuddGun, Varmint, Scout, Beater Bolty, hunting and accurized rifles.

Could call it "Fudd & Bubba", the home for wayward bolt actions OTHER than precision and C&R.

A bolt gun forum would keep the non precision rifle traffic out of the precision rifle section.

Edit to add poll.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Like other forums don't turn in to GD sometimes? But not for long, thankfully.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Second!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Ehh, why not. But isn't that what GFD is...?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]
There are alot of tc encore guys on here too would be a great place to talk shop.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does precision rifles not cover that area, or because it has precision semis as well?
View Quote

Op doesn't like non-sub moa rifles clogging up his forum.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does precision rifles not cover that area, or because it has precision semis as well?

I would generally say the precision guys aren't welcoming or helpful to the 1962 win70 7mm-08 crowd
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much Lollz !    

Good humor aside I believe I am seeing the emergence of a new wave or subset of firearms interest.

IDK what to call it but It seems to be a fusion of elements drawn from classic American riflery, precision, practical, MilSurp and Fudd and it has a strong applications of D.I.Y.  Bolt actions are the commonality that runs through it.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Much Lollz !    

Good humor aside I believe I am seeing the emergence of a new wave or subset of firearms interest.

IDK what to call it but It seems to be a fusion of elements drawn from classic American riflery, precision, practical, MilSurp and Fudd and it has a strong applications of D.I.Y.  Bolt actions are the commonality that runs through it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much Lollz !    

Honestly, the Precision Forum is far above what the average new rifleman needs or should expect. A lot of simple repeating questions.

Practical Bolt Rifle Forum or some such nonsense might make sense. The basics of sighting, ranging, slings, etc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Honestly, the Precision Forum is far above what the average new rifleman needs or should expect. A lot of simple repeating questions.

Practical Bolt Rifle Forum or some such nonsense might make sense. The basics of sighting, ranging, slings, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much Lollz !    

Are those not discussed (often) in other forms, like this one ?   http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/18_Optics__Mounts__and_Sights.html

IF one were to open up, how long before the same  ?? were asked by folks who have a hard time looking at the FAQ's in other forums.

Hi all new to bolt action rifles, what would you recommend for a first bolt action, i have a budget of $500 tops. I want SUB MOA with little or no smithing required. Due to work and a new baby on the way, must keep the scope under $350.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That same argument can be made about all of our forums. The majority of the people don't read tacked threads, or still want the most up to date info.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are those not discussed (often) in other forms, like this one ?   http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/18_Optics__Mounts__and_Sights.html

IF one were to open up, how long before the same  ?? were asked by folks who have a hard time looking at the FAQ's in other forums.

Hi all new to bolt action rifles, what would you recommend for a first bolt action, i have a budget of $500 tops. I want SUB MOA with little or no smithing required. Due to work and a new baby on the way, must keep the scope under $350.

That same argument can be made about all of our forums. The majority of the people don't read tacked threads, or still want the most up to date info.

Don't you want to bang your head against the wall, sometimes?  I've found more info / help in the FAQ's  in one forum, than trying a SEARCH on Google, yhaoo, etc.

Keep up the excellent site, work, and thank you to ever does the FAQ's. It takes days, well worth one's time, to read through them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much Lollz !    

Good point. "What scope should I get?", when there is a tacked thread that addresses that very topic drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
^we need I change the stigma of locked threads.
Mods, IMHO, need to lock more threads and, kindly, poit people to the FAQs. Of course this is a discussion board but certain topics don't need to be continually hashed out.
The other side of that is that stickies need to be continually updated

Ymmv

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much Lollz !    

Those questions get asked in all forums.

What I am seeing during my websurfs is people from different primary interest groups I.E. tactical, MilSurp, Hunters, fudd traditional etc, picking up bolt actions and taking them in a practical or general purpose field rifle direction and doing many of the modifications to increase utility  themselves..

*Edit to add*

If you are using or plan to use a bolt gun as a practical utility rifle or have modded one in that direction please say so in order for site staff to better gage interest.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What I am seeing during my websurfs is people from different primary interest groups I.E. tactical, MilSurp, Hunters, fudd traditional etc, picking up bolt actions and taking them in a practical or general purpose field rifle direction and doing many of the modifications to increase utility  themselves..

*Edit to add*

If you are using or plan to use a bolt gun as a practical utility rifle or have modded one in that direction please say so in order for site staff to better gage interest.
View Quote

Do bubba'd (tasteful or not so much) belong in this new proposed venue? Mosins to Mausers, Enfields to arisakas. Stuff that gets the boot from C&R
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do bubba'd (tasteful or not so much) belong in this new proposed venue? Mosins to Mausers, Enfields to arisakas. Stuff that gets the boot from C&R
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Edit to add*

I don't see why not.

Lots of rifles are modded  to regain function or useability or to  increase usefulness and utility.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#23]
[Rambling]I would liketo make a motion . And now that I have done that I do like the idea. No offense meant but it would keep the precision rifle forum less cluttered. I have both precision rifles and jack of all trade/diy bolt guns that are not precision rifles they are accurate that's for sure but my 300wm savage doesnt need to shoot .25 moa. They are utilitarian in nature. Like the difference between an STI and a glock.
[Rambling/]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Do bubba'd (tasteful or not so much) belong in this new proposed venue? Mosins to Mausers, Enfields to arisakas. Stuff that gets the boot from C&R
View Quote

YES.  C&R forum habitues are stuck-ups empowered by the 1968 Gun Control Act they worship.  If you want to preserve your Mosin - go to the C&R forum - they'll help you keep the original Soviet cosmoline in the stock under the shellac.  Want to scope your Mosin?  Come to the bolt-action rifle forum where we lovingly whittle on the remnants of the 20th Century's wars to better murder deer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know a good .308 bullet for elk?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I own page 2!

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know a good .308 bullet for elk?
View Quote

Nosler partitions are the hands down favorite in my area.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#28]
ballisticnally Posted By B44T:[/b]

View All Quotes
ballisticnally Posted By B44T:[/b]
Quoted:

Nosler balistic tip hunting
Nosler partition
Nosler accubond
Hornady SST
Hirnady interlock
Hirnady gmx
Sierra pro hunter
Sierra game king
Barnes tsx
Barnes ttsx
Burger vld hunting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I would like to see a general bolt gun forum since the majority of my bolt guns fall in that category.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I too, would enjoy a place to discuss current bolt action rifles that are not submoa, long range "precision" rifles.   We do need a place dedicated to bolt guns in general, just like we have for shotguns and for lever action rifles.   Keep the traffic here for the benefit of our sponsors and advertisers, rather than having us go to some other forum to ask technical questions about a particular ejector for a Sako L579, or about a Remington Custom Shop 700 Mountain Rifle or the various iterations of Winchester Model 70's, or Weatherby Mark V.

We already have a brand specific subforum for Ruger Centerfire Rifles.   That is good.  But why not for Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Savage, Sako, et cetera.  Maybe make the Ruger subforum more generic?   Or add for other brands at least as popular?

Many of us here love this board but spend as much time in a deer stand as doing tactical shooting with our AR15's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Do it, Do it.  

I think it's a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Anyone know a reputable rifle smith that cuts stripper clip slots in Remington 700 receivers ?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Anyone know a reputable rifle smith that cuts stripper clip slots in Remington 700 receivers ?
View Quote

See what I mean?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

See what I mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See what I mean?

Touche mon frere.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it would be a good idea. It would certainly keep some of the hunting rifle questions out of the precision paper/ steel shooting way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This thread is barely getting any traffic.
View Quote

The Airguns forum here in the Armory isn't exactly setting the world on fire either.  3+ months of threads fit on page 1.  Yet, there it is...

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Here we go - a sporterized Remington Mosin, 1917, that I had drilled & tapped for a scope mount by Gander Mountain.  Note the Marble peep sight:

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doing a heck of a lot better than the Europe HTF.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#40]
What's not to like about bolt guns? Sign me up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You should look at the DC HTF.
View Quote

*snort*
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I support the idea. I'm new to boltys with a RAR in .30-06. I check out the precision forum, but they're way over my head. I wouldn't dare ask a question there. I don't post unless I feel I have something useful to say or ask, so I'd be reading more than posting, but I'd definitely check in regularly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disappointing, only 1,184 views and only three votes for pie.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Here we go - a sporterized Remington Mosin, 1917, that I had drilled & tapped for a scope mount by Gander Mountain.  Note the Marble peep sight:

http://www.feinsteingewehrwerke.com/misc/Mosin/IMAG0655.jpg
View Quote

How did this one start out and where is it going ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Those areas exist already in the outdoor section under the hunting sections like Deer Hunting. Also there is the GD for gubs in the Armory.

So no
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Here we go - a sporterized Remington Mosin, 1917, that I had drilled & tapped for a scope mount by Gander Mountain.  Note the Marble peep sight:

Appears to have a Russian acceptance stamp, and I got it for $50 sporterized, w/ the worn out Marble peep sight & a fare-thee-well trigger.  The Marble peep sight needs to come off & be sold to a collector that will appreciate it, and the scope mount needs to be mounted w/ the scope & zeroed for this fall's deer season.  May ultimately go to my Iraqi buddy if I don't give him the SKS.  In the past, I tried a variable pistol scope from Optics Planet that had JUST too short eye relief for the scope mount flipped forward to the scout position.  I have a sporterized 33 I can swipe the bolt carrier from that will clear the scope mount, and a garden variety 3-9X that will sit on it this fall.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Those areas exist already in the outdoor section under the hunting sections like Deer Hunting. Also there is the GD for gubs in the Armory.

So no
View Quote

As the hunting section is about hunting

The proposed Bolt Action other than Precision and C&R section is to be about MilSurp, FuddGun, Varmint, Scout, Beater Bolty, hunting, accurized etc.rfiles
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Appears to have a Russian acceptance stamp, and I got it for $50 sporterized, w/ the worn out Marble peep sight & a fare-thee-well trigger.  The Marble peep sight needs to come off & be sold to a collector that will appreciate it, and the scope mount needs to be mounted w/ the scope & zeroed for this fall's deer season.  May ultimately go to my Iraqi buddy if I don't give him the SKS.  In the past, I tried a variable pistol scope from Optics Planet that had JUST too short eye relief for the scope mount flipped forward to the scout position.  I have a sporterized 33 I can swipe the bolt carrier from that will clear the scope mount, and a garden variety 3-9X that will sit on it this fall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Here we go - a sporterized Remington Mosin, 1917, that I had drilled & tapped for a scope mount by Gander Mountain.  Note the Marble peep sight:

Pics and a range report or it never happened
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Appears to have a Russian acceptance stamp, and I got it for $50 sporterized, w/ the worn out Marble peep sight & a fare-thee-well trigger.  The Marble peep sight needs to come off & be sold to a collector that will appreciate it, and the scope mount needs to be mounted w/ the scope & zeroed for this fall's deer season.  May ultimately go to my Iraqi buddy if I don't give him the SKS.  In the past, I tried a variable pistol scope from Optics Planet that had JUST too short eye relief for the scope mount flipped forward to the scout position.  I have a sporterized 33 I can swipe the bolt carrier from that will clear the scope mount, and a garden variety 3-9X that will sit on it this fall.

Crap & I just screwed the scope mount down.  I'll try to get it out tomorrow for the stamp pics, and see if I can illustrate the scout mount position.  May be able to do a range report when I go to test the plastic brick bumpfire, if I can figure out how to finish it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top