Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 4:33:42 PM EDT
So I put together a bunch of ARs for a friend after he inherited a pretty large collection with several kits. He sold a few of them to a few people we work with. One guy in particular is one of those types that loves to blow his paycheck and them be borrowing money by Tuesday. So about a week after he bought one I semi jokingly asked if he needed money and that I'd give him $350 for it. Of course he said no. But then about 4 days ago he called and asked if I still wanted it for $350. Hell yes I did. So its only a PTAC that had a cheapo red dot, but the wife wanted an AR and this is what I did to it. I wouldn't be able to do it to something anymore expensive than this but she loves it and talks about going to the range every day now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#1]
If i am not mistaken thats a spikes lower, nice grab man, I'm sure the wife will have a BLAST :D
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a spikes lower with bullet marking safe/fire
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Nicely done.        

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I still think before winter we'll see a NIB $299 AR offered from one of the big discounters like PSA.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still think before winter we'll see a NIB $299 AR offered from one of the big discounters like PSA.
View Quote
Maybe with plastic upper and lower.  I doubt we'll see one that cheap with a forged lower.  $399 might happen though.  

View Quote

Maybe. I think it'll be a "right place right time" kind of deal with a retailer going out of business and fire-selling off the remaining inventory.

As much as I want the AR culture to grow and get more popular, there's been far too many small operations that have opened up in the last year or so who's business plan is to "Sell AR's and AR parts... just like everyone else!" and unfortunately with increased availability and in a buyer's market they may be overshadowed by the big dogs who can offer less expensive product, have more availability, better shipping, etc.

I'll keep my eyes out. I want to build a halfway decent AR for $300 just to say I did. So far my Iraq bring-back DPMS is the cheapest (yet still good) AR I have.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I built one for less than $400, but I don't see myself achieving a sub $300 build.        

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Yet the Ruger Mini-14 will still be $800
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

And still won't be able to accept AR magazines.  I spoke to a Ruger factory rep at a function once and asked why they didn't want to produce a mini-14 that would accept AR mags as it would greatly improve sales as the expensive finicky propitiatory mags are the weakness of the Mini?  He said the company has no interest whatsoever to do that and they never will.  

What's even crazier is that the Mini 30 wasn't designed to accept AK mags.  They are both (Mini 30 and AK) rock in steel mags, yet for whatever reason Ruger decided to design the rifle around it's own proprietary rock in mag instead.  It's the height of idiocy to not design that rifle to accept AK mags.

Guess some people don't like making money.  

Also, when they were originally designing that "tactical .308 bolt gun" they came out with, it was originally tossed around that it would accept M14 magazines.

Instead they decide to scrap that too in favor of proprietary 10 rounders...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't want to be anywhere near a $300 NIB Ar being fired.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe with plastic upper and lower.  I doubt we'll see one that cheap with a forged lower.  $399 might happen though.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I was actually looking at one of the DPMS bring backs the same day this guy called me and was seriously considering ordering one. I thing the parts kit was one of the PTAC kits that was on sale at PSA for 399 plus the cost of the lower
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And still won't be able to accept AR magazines.  I spoke to a Ruger factory rep at a function once and asked why they didn't want to produce a mini-14 that would accept AR mags as it would greatly improve sales as the expensive finicky propitiatory mags are the weakness of the Mini?  He said the company has no interest whatsoever to do that and they never will.  

What's even crazier is that the Mini 30 wasn't designed to accept AK mags.  They are both (Mini 30 and AK) rock in steel mags, yet for whatever reason Ruger decided to design the rifle around it's own proprietary rock in mag instead.  It's the height of idiocy to not design that rifle to accept AK mags.

Also, when they were originally designing that "tactical .308 bolt gun" they came out with, it was originally tossed around that it would accept M14 magazines.

View Quote

Gsr mags aren't proprietary.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was actually looking at one of the DPMS bring backs the same day this guy called me and was seriously considering ordering one. I thing the parts kit was one of the PTAC kits that was on sale at PSA for 399 plus the cost of the lower
View Quote

I got a couple of them. They are g2g. Accurate and eats up steel cased ammo like a champ. Go for it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
hell sub $300 would be a hell of a build. Might be able to be done if you look hard for killer sales. But your score for $350 is pretty damn good, not to mention making the wife happy in the process. Well done sir
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It's very hard to make a bolt gun feed from a double stack mag, the Mossberg MVP is cool, but the way it strips rounds from a mag with a flapper on the bolt is a prime candidate for a failure point.  I agree that Ruger has failed in updating their Mini series of rifles to accept more readily available mags.  

OP, good score man.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#16]
So far my Iraq bring-back DPMS is the cheapest (yet still good) AR I have.
View Quote

Huh?

You brought back a rifle from Iraq?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't want to be anywhere near a $300 NIB Ar being fired.
View Quote

Stop it....
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Army_medic , I'm not seeing anywhere on site, where it says these DPMS weapons are "bring back" from any place. It says "USED", but NOTHING in writeup about them being in the military or overseas.

Not understanding the logic. Unless, you're saying they're "returns" due to dissatisfaction of previous owner and were bought up by a wholesaler?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not for sure what area it was in on here that I read about the DPMS but from what I recall there was a few people that report tags on their rifles when they got them that indicate that they came back from a contractor doing training in the middle east or something like that. I'm not for sure about it but that is what was being referenced with the DPMS bring backs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting.  I would like to see that link if somebody finds it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Found it for you Cheap $439 DPMS
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip.

No, but AI mags aren't exactly common. One of the original specifications for Cooper's scout rifle concept was that it could be fed from stripper clips like the M14 and most military bolt action rifles. The GSR's single position feed magazine prevents that. Use of the M14 magazine (or other magazines in its class) would have been better in this regard, and better for availability as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's very hard to make a bolt gun feed from a double stack mag, the Mossberg MVP is cool, but the way it strips rounds from a mag with a flapper on the bolt is a prime candidate for a failure point.  I agree that Ruger has failed in updating their Mini series of rifles to accept more readily available mags.  

OP, good score man.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

OP, good score man.  
About 90% of all magazine fed bolt action rifles are dual position feed staggered double column design. Mauser mastered the concept in the late 1800s.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP, good score man.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, good score man.  

I'll let you know after my 2nd thousand rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top