Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 2:24:38 PM EDT
I am sending off three 22 barrels for to get threaded. If I send four I will get a discount on all of the work. The only other barrel I can send him is my M1 carbine (probably have to send him the entire barrel and receiver). Anyways, I originally bought it via CMP (before I had my C&R). Is this okay to do? If so anyone done this?
Thanks,
Mav
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do you want to thread a carbine barrel?  For what purpose??
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Why ? It will ruin any resale value of the gun
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
... Because he'll get a discount on the other three barrels.

(All joking aside, I don't see the point.  It won't serve any real purpose, and will kill the value of the carbine.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you want to thread a carbine barrel?  For what purpose??
View Quote

To put a can on it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If it is a USGI barrel then no.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just answered why. I don't care about resale value as I would never re-sell it-I don't understand why someone would buy a surplus item that is so historic and then re-sell it. And I know what you are thinking-you could make the same argument about threading end of barrel. Butt the difference is that it is my rifle and I may just like to shoot it suppressed and all I want to know-strike that what I care about is legality.  I'm not painting it fucking pink or putting all kinds of shit on it. This is what pisses me off sometimes about these online forums-I just ask a simple question and instead of getting an answer I get fucking judgements. You know what-forget it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it is a USGI barrel then no.
View Quote

Thank you! That is all I wanted to know.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just answered why. I don't care about resale value as I would never re-sell it-I don't understand why someone would buy a surplus item that is so historic and then re-sell it. And I know what you are thinking-you could make the same argument about threading end of barrel. Butt the difference is that it is my rifle and I may just like to shoot it suppressed and all I want to know-strike that what I care about is legality.  I'm not painting it fucking pink or putting all kinds of shit on it. This is what pisses me off sometimes about these online forums-I just ask a simple question and instead of getting an answer I get fucking judgements. You know what-forget it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

calm down dude. No one judged you, they just let you know what the consequences would be if you were to thread it. And that person also posted before you answered.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't understand why someone would buy a surplus item that is so historic and then re-sell it.
View Quote

Not "judging" or trying to be a dick, but the flip-side of your argument is, some folks don't understand why someone would buy a surplus item that is so historic and then modify the hell out of it.

Is there even subsonic .30 Carbine ammo available?  Would the the thing cycle with subs?  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would there be any legal question? DCM / CMP has nothing to do with it anymore than any other gun store after the sale. That being said......Please don't do it, there are many people who would love to have an M! Carbine that has not been altered. If it happens to be an IBM I would be interested. My wife has 35 years with IBM and it is the only gun she has ever expressed an interest in.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I might be able to share some info as someone else who isn't afraid to do slight bubba work (every rifle I have has a scope mount of some kind. Some were D&T by someone else that I put back into original shape but kept scoped. And some I had scoped with original/replica mounts. I also have my Chilean 1895, M1 Garand, and k98 threaded.)

Feel free to thread it. Even if it is a USGI Barrel there is no real consequences to threading it. However, the logistics of suppressed .30 carbine is rough. The twist rate on an original USGI carbine barrel is too slow to stabilize heavy grain weight cast bullets. (1/10 I believe.) You can load subsonic for it and it can be fun, but the projectiles have to be custom made. Also a faster twist barrel is advisable. I have a 1 in 7 threaded military contour short barrel sitting in the safe at work, waiting for the paperwork on my SBR M1 to be processed. You can obviously also put supers through a can, but it wont be as quiet. Here is a picture of what I am trying to make, not my pic, but it was the inspiration.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't GD.  I'd chill out.

That being said - do what you want to your own rifle.  It's yours - no one else dictates what you do with your own stuff.  

I wouldn't say that it would ruin the "re-sale value" as much as it would the historical integrity of the firearm.  Mechanically - there is no reason why you could not thread it as far as I know.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I always thought a SBR M1 Carbine would be cool suppressed. Had a Springfield new barrel to do the SBR so I kept the USGI barrel. Never did start that project and sold the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

what I care about is legality.
View Quote

You may legally thread it and paint it pink.

Personally I'd never do that to a nice historic or collectable, but it's your gun, do what you want.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Please don't thread an original carbine. These are a heritage that should be passed on to future generations.

I once bought a carbine that was threaded for a flash hider. (The reason I bought it was that it was priced at a considerable discount.) I had a machine shop turn off the threads on a lathe, and press a sleeve on the end of the barrel to restore it to the original diameter. The joint was hidden by the front sight base. When the job was done you couldn't tell it had been messed with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Please don't thread an original carbine. These are a heritage that should be passed on to future generations.

I once bought a carbine that was threaded for a flash hider. (The reason I bought it was that it was priced at a considerable discount.) I had a machine shop turn off the threads on a lathe, and press a sleeve on the end of the barrel to restore it to the original diameter. The joint was hidden by the front sight base. When the job was done you couldn't tell it had been messed with.
View Quote

I don't understand this logic.
It's still bubba'd...
I would rather keep it in it's more functional form but apparently YMMV.
I don't envision that repair job being cheap, either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I would look for an adapter to put on the barrel for the can
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top