Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 10:27:16 PM EDT
New to the forum here so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section.

I am looking for recommendations for a bolt action .308 that will be used mostly for deer hunting but also recreational long distance shooting (up to 1000 yds). I have a tight budget of around $500 for the rifle. I will be shooting reloads if that matters. I do not have much knowledge of bolt actions rifles. I have been shooting a 40 year old Glenfield (Marlin) Mod 30 (30/30) lever action for about 15 years. I also have a M&P 15 5.56 and XDM .40 but these are relatively new additions. Any suggestions for recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and safe shooting!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Any preference on barrel length and weight?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Mossberg MVP Predator 308.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Savage 11FCNS

Weatherby Vanguard/ Howa 1500

Tikka T3
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter in 308, but it only has a 20 inch barrel.  

Edit: for sale everywhere new for under $500.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Howa
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
To hit 1000 yards consistently, you will need to factor in a decent scope. I would look for a Savage rifle (used) Model 11 Long Range Hunter.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing in your price range is going to be a 1000 yard rifle.  There is a whole host of good bolt guns out there; Ruger American, Savage, TC, Mossberg. etc.  Most will shoot one MOA with  luck and some decent reloads.  Just not at a thousand yards.  That's a different game altogether.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Check with the guys at Accurate Ordnance in Winder, GA
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check with the guys at Accurate Ordnance in Winder, GA
View Quote

for $500?

OP: you have two separate goals and one rifle will force you to half ass this endeavor.

Savage, ruger american, Tikka on sale, used r700 or m70, etc for a deer rifle.

R700 based rifle for 1000yds.

I would spend more on optics than on the base rifle. YMMV
Can you use .224 for deer in minnesota? If now, maybe a 6.8spc upper...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Tikka T3
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mossberg MVP Predator 308.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nothing in your price range is going to be a 1000 yard rifle.  There is a whole host of good bolt guns out there; Ruger American, Savage, TC, Mossberg. etc.  Most will shoot one MOA with  luck and some decent reloads.  Just not at a thousand yards.  That's a different game altogether.
View Quote

Dude you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.  Quit putting out complete bullshit.  You obviously don't have the foggiest idea.  This kind of shot is made on a regular fucking basis in my neck of the woods, I don't where you're trying to shoot.  I hit a plate several times at 1340 with a Savage Model 10 in .308.  Shit, I've hit a 10" circle at 800 with my Savage 10 in .223.  

Internet forums...good for a little bit of everything, huh?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for Savage.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dude you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.  Quit putting out complete bullshit.  You obviously don't have the foggiest idea.  This kind of shot is made on a regular fucking basis in my neck of the woods, I don't where you're trying to shoot.  I hit a plate several times at 1340 with a Savage Model 10 in .308.  Shit, I've hit a 10" circle at 800 with my Savage 10 in .223.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics, good sir.

Until then

The rifles that Ame is talking about will not shoot a ten shot 1moa at 1k group. 1 hit at 1340 is impressive, a group is better.

I'll wait for pics

ETA: FAL: what stock, optic, and .30cal bullet are you shooting?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#15]
MVP 308
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The rifles that Ame is talking about will not shoot a ten shot 1moa at 1k group. 1 hit at 1340 is impressive, a group is better.
View Quote

Which part of the OP gave you the impression that he was after  ten-shot, 1MOA @1k rifle?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which part of the OP gave you the impression that he was after  ten-shot, 1MOA @1k rifle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that he said recreational shooting to 1k. A .22mag will go 1k if you aim it like a howitzer but that's not the point or, what I assume the OP desires.

I was also responding, thus my quotes, to two other posters.
A group is 10 shots. a .308 could print a moa group at a grand - but not a $500 .308

I guess he could have a 31" (3moa) gong out at 1k and he could merely want to take drunken pot shots but we really don't know. I inferred from the OP mentioning 1k shooting that he was after a little more than drunken pot shots. YMMV

I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt in regards to his goals and my OP reflected that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a big Remingon fan and found a LH 700 for $450 with a Weaver scope.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The fact that he said recreational shooting to 1k. A .22mag will go 1k if you aim it like a howitzer but that's not the point or, what I assume the OP desires.

A group is 10 shots. a .308 could print a moa group at a grand - but not a $500 .308

I guess he could have a 31" (3moa) gong out at 1k and he could merely want to take drunken pot shots but we really don't know. I inferred from the OP mentioning 1k shooting that he was after a little more than drunken pot shots. YMMV

I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt in regards to his goals and my OP reflected that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If my 16" 308 AR would consistently hit at 800M, Why wouldn't a bolt gun shoot 1k with an optic and an understanding of your rounds ballistic trajectory?

Do you shoot a lot at 1K? He also specifically said "not a MOA at 1k"

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If my 16" 308 AR would consistently hit at 800M, Why wouldn't a bolt gun shoot 1k with an optic and an understanding of your rounds ballistic trajectory?

Do you shoot a lot at 1K? He also specifically said "not a MOA at 1k"  I do apologize, I must have missed that. Can you point it out?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you shoot a lot at 1K? He also specifically said "not a MOA at 1k"  I do apologize, I must have missed that. Can you point it out?

Again, my response was that you'll have a helluva time consistently putting lead on target at 1k with a $400 ruger American.
It's probably been 3 years since I shot that distance.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade, just trying to provide realistic expectations.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I use to shoot at 1000 yards with a Remington 700vs.

Group around 3/4 moa IF you reload by neck sizing one fired cases. Also
Index case to chamber. Etc etc.

3/4 moa out of a factory gun can be done. 1/2 on a rare luck day.

No I cannot show you groups since I sold the rifle years ago and got
An AI awp 20 inch. That rifle is boring accurate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Well Brad, he didn't really specify how big of a target at that distance.  And he said it's recreational.  For all we know he's going to be taking shots at old rusted out cars at 1k.  Still would be fun.  And the main purpose is a hunting rifle.  So.....  

I've never shot that far.  600 is my max.  And you don't need an MOA gun to shoot at 600 yard targets.  At our range they use official High Power targets and they're huge.  I would think you could get on paper with a gun that shoots 2-3 MOA.  

Now, I don't see optics in the budget, which might make this a bit more of an issue.  But I think if you go browse the bolt gun guys forum, 1k with a .308 has more to do with twist and bullets so they don't go subsonic and get wonky at 1K.  But again, don't have any experience with it myself.  But I was shooting at 600 with a CMP 03a3 bone stock with the irons and 150 grain AE and getting on paper.  So....  I would think with a more modern (savage, remmy, winny, tikka, mossy, whatever take your pic) bolt gun with some glass, and the right twist and load, 1K would be doable.  Yeah, shooting MOA at that distance would be left to more expensive rigs, probably, but you gotta start somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys have it covered. I'll step away now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bolt action .308 that will be used mostly for deer hunting but also recreational long distance shooting (up to 1000 yds). I have a tight budget

I don't see the same rifle humping around the woods for 1-4 hours being the same one to do recreational 1K shooting. Maybe 2-3 rounds before that light weight hunting bbl starts wandering.  
With his budget an off the rack Nikon will take deer, Not shoot 1K recreational. UNLESS as mentioned, his targets are cars.

I can hit 500 with my 18" 5.56 mvp and 6500 bushnell. 800 very hard to see. The savage was nice to 5-600 with great glass (at the time) the HB eliminated it from being a woods gun.  Can it be done, sure, not within the OPS budget, unless he has another $500 + stashed for a used scope.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I got my tikka t3 for 650 after transfer brand new. I'm sure used are floating around for much less.  Great rifle but with an optic out of your budget

For your budget id get a ruger American or savage axis and a decent variable power Nikon
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I got the tikka because I wanted a deer gun that I could also use to hit targets beyond my ar's comfort range. I got a 30-06 but wish I had gotten a .308.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#27]
im kinda in the same boat. but i think i have mine all planed out.

savage axis .308 $260ish from acadamy

seems to be the best accuracy in that price range. biggest complaint is the flimsy stock and the heavy trigger. there is a neer free trigger mod to get it down to like 3lbs and the stock can be fixed with a boyds stock for $99 and look like a new rifle and even help with accuracy.

look something like this
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

seems to be the best accuracy in that price range. biggest complaint is the flimsy stock and the heavy trigger. there is a neer free trigger mod to get it down to like 3lbs and the stock can be fixed with a boyds stock for $99 and look like a new rifle and even help with accuracy.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/steierl/65978A78-6950-4663-A578-2F557BECE420-2300-000003319F93E34D.jpg
View Quote

I've been pondering over the savage hog hunter. 16inch 308, with the accu trigger (real nice) and iron sights. Around 400.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've been pondering over the savage hog hunter. 16inch 308, with the accu trigger (real nice) and iron sights. Around 400.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/steierl/65978A78-6950-4663-A578-2F557BECE420-2300-000003319F93E34D.jpg

If you're going that route, look at the MVP in .308. great rifle, adj trigger, uses detachable pmags. Down side. lack of aftermarket upgrades. However , outside of threading the bbl on my 5.56 MVP, it's has not disappointed me. or anyone else who road tested it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you're going that route, look at the MVP in .308. great rifle, adj trigger, uses detachable pmags. Down side. lack of aftermarket upgrades. However , outside of threading the bbl on my 5.56 MVP, it's has not disappointed me. or anyone else who road tested it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shut up, it takes 308 pmags?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you know the exact distance, dialing in your rifle to shoot at that target for 10" circle is not difficult.

But if you don't know exact distance but estimating the field, hitting that target within the 10" circle is hard beyond 500 yards.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#32]
The MVP takes DPMS style like the Pmag and M1A mags. It has a dual latch system and can handle both. M1A metal mags fit better but the plastic mags make the bolt slide and pick up the round smoother.

As you can see I love mine. Needs a better scope.
15rd M1A mag

Dual latch system

3 Shots Hornady TAP 100yrds 2-7x scope

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#33]
ooo i know all about the mossberg mvp rifles. just going the savage route would be cheaper by a good amount. there's even 10 round mags for them if you want them that badly.

not to mention with the savage you could go with reguler wood peper like the mossburg red and black, or blue and black. i was thinking of doing the stainless version also but i would save $100 doing it with the black steal instead.

something like this

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#34]
My target size would be 18". As long as I'm on target I'm fine with that. As far as optics go, I have an existing scope and will budget for a replacement at a later date. $500 is my starting budget for a rifle and may increase it by a could hundred if I feel the costs suites me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Savage would probably be your best bet...or the 700ADL Varmint from Dicks if you don't mind shopping there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MVP gets my vote too.
 I liked my buddy's MVP enough to get one of my own. FWIW the aftermarket is catching up. Stocks, barrels, rails, chassis system, triggers, etc are now available. The MVP forum has good links and info.  To date there have been zero dissapoints in the MVP for me or my buddy or anyone who road tested either of our rifles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pics, good sir.

Until then

I'll wait for pics

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics, good sir.

Until then

I'll wait for pics

Your original post did not qualify that the rifle had to be a 1 moa rifle at 1000, so now you're adding qualifiers.  You stated "most will shoot moa with luck and some decent loads..." which is also horseshit.  Most factory rifles will turn in sub moa groups shooting quality ammo.  Every Savage I have owned and that friends own shoots half MOA, easy.  My 5R milspec turned in half moa without any effort.  

What is interesting to me is that you're incredulous statement about this type of shot being made, but it was not a huge deal to me or the people I was shooting with because shots like this are made regularly.  Sure, it is nice to pound steel with a .308 at that range, but shooting it at 11 and 1200 was common.  Taking it another 140 yards was not some crazy unbelievable accomplishment.

Pics or it didn't happen?  I could take pictures of a target I shot at 100 yards and tell them that's what I shot.  Here's your sign.  

I do this shit, on average, once a week, sometimes more. We were just out shooting steel yesterday at 5, 7, 9 and 1100.  You think we take photos of the steel we shoot?  We're not that haughty.  This is not a hobby for us, we shoot competitively.  We pay to play.

I've been in the LR game, competing, for just under 5 years now.

When I hit the 1340, I was running a Savage 10fcp-k with a 5-20 SSHD.  I was shooting 175SMK's, with 42.3gr XBR 8208, seated at COAL of 2.82.  IIRC, that load was right at about 2720.  That plate we were shooting was a 24"x24" 3/8" AR500, it was just under a 2 moa target, which is common for what we shoot during our comps.

If you think I'm full of shit, you should have seen my buddy Brian shooting a 208gr AMAX and getting hits at 1 mile.  Then again, he didn't take any pictures, and no video, so it must not have ever happened, right?

I just called bullshit on your statement, because it was.  I took a friend out about a month ago, had NEVER shot past 200 yards.  He had a brand spankin new Savage Hog Hunter with a Weaver 3-10 GS Tactical.  He hit a 10"x10" plate on his fourth shot out of the rifle at 850 yards shooting 175 FGMM.  And yes, he would've hit it at 1K too.  And no, we didn't take photos or post a fucking live feed of the shit on youtube, so I guess it didn't happen, either.

ETA - I don't shoot .308 anymore. My LR/comp rifles are .260's.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#38]
If you have fucked with both, How does the action of the hog hunter compare to the 308 MVP?

Can I convert a savage rifle to feed from AICS 308 mags? (Since I've already got them)
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you have fucked with both, How does the action of the hog hunter compare to the 308 MVP?

Can I convert a savage rifle to feed from AICS 308 mags? (Since I've already got them)
View Quote

I have.

Except for the bolt guide the MVP is a mostly clone of the Savage so you got a tough choice IMHO

Savage bolt heads upper pic, MVP .308 bolt head lower pic.

Pics copied and pasted from the web ( because my cellphone pics win at suckage )

As far as DBM or DM for the hog hunter goes, I don't know.

Would whoever has messed with a DBM or DM on the hog hunter please share the info with us here .
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#40]
If my budget was that tight I would start searching pawn shops for a low mileage R700 or M70 in 30.06. Then I would make a project of re-crowning the barrel, glass bedding the stock and possibly even trueing up the action if the tools dont blow the budget.

a factory wood stock is better than the cheap plastic. A rifle with a bedded wood stock can perform very well. Dont let arfcom suck you in to a downward spiral of thinking you need a bunch of silly ass pretend sniper shit. A 30yr old M70 or R700 done up right makes a hell of a hunting rifle and you should be able to ring a gong at 1000 from time to time. The importamt thimg here is your budget. You have years to upgrade this rifle but you can get shooting affordably now if you choose wisely
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your original post did not qualify that the rifle had to be a 1 moa rifle at 1000, so now you're adding qualifiers.  You stated "most will shoot moa with luck and some decent loads..." which is also horseshit.  Most factory rifles will turn in sub moa groups shooting quality ammo.  Every Savage I have owned and that friends own shoots half MOA, easy.  My 5R milspec turned in half moa without any effort.  

What is interesting to me is that you're incredulous statement about this type of shot being made, but it was not a huge deal to me or the people I was shooting with because shots like this are made regularly.  Sure, it is nice to pound steel with a .308 at that range, but shooting it at 11 and 1200 was common.  Taking it another 140 yards was not some crazy unbelievable accomplishment.

Pics or it didn't happen?  I could take pictures of a target I shot at 100 yards and tell them that's what I shot.  Here's your sign.  

I do this shit, on average, once a week, sometimes more. We were just out shooting steel yesterday at 5, 7, 9 and 1100.  You think we take photos of the steel we shoot?  We're not that haughty.  This is not a hobby for us, we shoot competitively.  We pay to play.

When I hit the 1340, I was running a Savage 10fcp-k with a 5-20 SSHD.  I was shooting 175SMK's, with 42.3gr XBR 8208, seated at COAL of 2.82.  IIRC, that load was right at about 2720.  That plate we were shooting was a 24"x24" 3/8" AR500, it was just under a 2 moa target, which is common for what we shoot during our comps.

If you think I'm full of shit, you should have seen my buddy Brian shooting a 208gr AMAX and getting hits at 1 mile.  Then again, he didn't take any pictures, and no video, so it must not have ever happened, right?

I just called bullshit on your statement, because it was.  I took a friend out about a month ago, had NEVER shot past 200 yards.  He had a brand spankin new Savage Hog Hunter with a Weaver 3-10 GS Tactical.  He hit a 10"x10" plate on his fourth shot out of the rifle at 850 yards shooting 175 FGMM.  And yes, he would've hit it at 1K too.  And no, we didn't take photos or post a fucking live feed of the shit on youtube, so I guess it didn't happen, either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics, good sir.

Until then

I'll wait for pics

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Howa
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Tikka tends to be great, right out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

MVP gets my vote too.
 I liked my buddy's MVP enough to get one of my own. FWIW the aftermarket is catching up. Stocks, barrels, rails, chassis system, triggers, etc are now available. The MVP forum has good links and info.  To date there have been zero dissapoints in the MVP for me or my buddy or anyone who road tested either of our rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MVP gets my vote too.

This^

However I will caution you to stay away from the MVP Flex, there seems to be a good amount of wobble between the fore/aft sections.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#45]
The four I got to handle were nice and snug almost too snug in fact.

They were gone when I went back, I should have bought one of them.

Not saying a loose one can't happen.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

look something like this
View Quote

I bought a Stevens 200 off a local board, unfired for $275. EGW base, Leupold rings, Harris bipod, Boyds stock, and a VX-3 off the EE for $300. $800 total for a tough and accurate rifle. It took awhile to find these deals but I knew what I was after and just waited until I found what would work. It looks very similar to the rifle in the above picture.

For a hunting/occasional range rifle I decided that iron sights, removable magazine, and an oversized bolt knob were unnecessary. Plenty of rifles would fit the bill. 700, 70, Tikka, Savage. Just a matter of what you can find for a price you want to pay.

There is a Featherweight Model 70 on the EE right now. That would be a sweet rifle to fit with a nice scope.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter in 308, but it only has a 20 inch barrel.  

Edit: for sale everywhere new for under $500.
View Quote

Love mine.  Medium contour barrel. Good iron sights, threaded barrel, accu-trigger.  Mine shoots under 1 moa, with my dumb butt shooting it.

Did I mention that I love mine. $475 OTD. Through a Nikon prostaff 3x9, with some semi quick detach rings and a cheap sling then called it a day.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Howa
View Quote

This! The Howa 1500 in .308. If you don't know then may I enlighten you,sir. Howa is a Japanese manufacturer of rifles that once upon a time made the bolt action rifles for Weatherby, Smith and Wesson and other brand names. My information is from several years ago. Haven't tried to keep up with the bolt action stuff for quiet awhile. Anyway, these rifles are quiet the bang for the buck. On occasion you may find a rifle/scope combo for around $500 online. Food for thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top